What's new

Nonprofessional HTF Review: Attack of the Mousers; Ninja Turtles 2K3 (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
My First Review, go Kind on comments...

I'm going to try and follow the formats of other reviews, while adding a few of my own styles in... so lets start with the basics...

1:Audio A+

I'm hearing sounds and musical notes and cues that you just don't seem to hear on the broadcast version. I'm wondering if the show was recorded in Dolby Surround Sound. I don't have that five speaker system setup that most HTF Guru's here seem to have, so I can't tell if there's any action in the speakers that arn't right in front of me :).. But from the sound that I can here, it sounds clear enough to be digitally remastered...

2:Video B+

I don't know about this next Generation of Toons animation. The Batman:Return of the Joker DVD Animation looked almost TOO crisp, like you where watching the animaters move the cells onto the frame itself, if that's the best way to explain it. After years of watching grainy animation on Degrading TV tapes, and bad signaled TV stations, I guess it's going to take a while to get used to the cleaned up master sources. That being said, I've only had time to skim through some of the scenes, and there's no real digital artifacting that I can notice.

There DO seem to be some lines appearing around the characters in some faster moving scenes, but this may be intended rather than some DVD Artifacting error. All in all, for those with por Fox Box Receptions, or not getting the network at all, your better off with getting the DVD's instead.. The Digital Picture alone is worth the 15$'s and best of all, no Fox Box logo...

Presentation: A+

Knowing Funimations past DVD Productions, being a Dragonball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho fan, I wasn't expecting much. But the kids at 4Kids must have been in charge of content and using Funimation as a sales point only, because great care a has been put into this disc. If my ears arn't deceiving me(sometimes it's tough to tell when characters are talking over music), new tunes have been created for the menu, including one to look out for on the main menu that has a sort of technoy disco beat to it.

Other tunes from the show are presented in their original, un-dialouge interupted glory through 2 minute or so repeating tracks. As close as we can hope for a sound track, I guess.

The main menu is animated. It shows all four of the turtles popping up and twirling their weapons and strutting their stuff. When you go to the extras section, it's a still menu, but with a cool 'sword slashing' technique, that looks like a sword cut through the various images on each menu section.

And, you'll be happy to note that there IS A PLAY ALL Function for this disc.

As far as the episodes themselves go, they've included at least one bumper for where the commercial breaks are supposed to be....and without the breaks, the show seems to move much smoother, having 4 of them in todays merchandised focused world....

In episode 1, there DOES seem to be an encoding error, as this very same bumper appears DURING the show. The Shows audio plays, while the bumper from the video shows. Everything goes back to normal afterwards, however, so I don't know if it's on all the discs, or just my own. Pretty big goof for whoever is supposed to be double checking these things....

EXTRAS: A+

This is only the first DVD, so I hope they delve deeper into the extras as they go along. An Animatic Proccess and comparison is included on this first disc, showing from start to finish how the show gets 'aniamted'. A Video of the voice recording process, or animation process are a must for next discs....

EVERYONE From 4Kids Seems to be getting Video Friendly here, as we finally get to see some of the faces of the people who bring the show to life.... So I'll let the pictures do the talking..

Theres,

And CEO of Mirage, Gary Richardson...

Then, there's the Interview with Peter Laird, that basically just gives you a recap of why they wanted to do a new show, refers to the original show(Although I HATE that goofy little image that people always seem to use and associate the original show with, rather than something you'd find in my sig that's from the actual show itself..). Basically stuff fans of the show already know, but it's cool to hear it from the head honcho himself... It'll be interesting to see where this itnerview goes from here on out... (Check out mine at Link Removed )

Finaly, I'm glad they've included some of the Promotional items from the show, alla the 'T Files', basically video promotional biographies of the main characters with new animation(some of wich I still havn't seen), and the 'Fox Box News Fakes, wich are always entertaining. Although, why they had a white, German speaking dude dressed up as Baxter Stockman in one of thme, who knows..

All in all, a fun set. I'm waiting untill 4Kids produces a REAL Box Set(With new packaging, Authoring, more episodes, etc, to pick more up because these discs are keepers. There's one coming in November from Funimation, but it's typical Funi crap of trying to make a quick buck. The only thing new in that 'box set' is the actual box the repackaged items come in, and the jacked up price. So I'd skip that if I where you...

So, that's it for Volume 1. A Must buy, and the end of my first 'opinionated' review ;)..

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Edit: It's up, with tons o' pictures for your viewing pleasure. I'll try and edit the size tommorow morning... too tired now at 12:30 :)

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Hey Neil, I just voted for the original series on DVD in the Rhino Cartoon on DVD Poll thread. Maybe you could include a link to the poll from your website?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Neil, I'd appreciate it if you'd shrink the images. They're too big for someone with a dial-up connection.

Also I've edited your title. "Unprofessional" has a negative connotation, as others have suggested. I think what you meant was "nonprofessional". :)

M.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
While you're updating your site to mention the Rhino poll, you might also mention that the current DVDs can be found in another place besides Toys R Us. Target stores have these...noticably cheaper, too. $12.99 each! I *think* that's an everyday price, but it could be a sale price. If so, that price ended yesterday. But TRU was EXPENSIVE! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks