What's new

non-shielded speaker placement (1 Viewer)

I use my home stereo speakers in my surround system and as such need to place them next to/near my new Tosh 50h82. So the question begs, how far away do these non-shielded speakers need to be from the set, or won't it make a difference?

Oh, and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere; a search of the forum was fruitless.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well your TV will represent a large, reflecting surface to the sound waves from your speakers. While many magazine articles show the speakers butted up against the side of the TV, this is not usually the best for sound quality.

Try to put space between the speakers and the TV by pulling the speakers into the room ahead of the face of the TV.

You can likely put the speakers right next to the TV for that size TV. The electronics in a RPTV are usually on the bottom in the back of the cabinent. This gives you an automatic 2-3 foot separation. (A tube-type TV is different.)

Fire up a DVD, pause the display on some scene with lots of bright colors to the edge and move your speakers into position. Look at the edges of the display for distortion/dis-coloration. My guess is you wont find any.

Thanks for the input. I figured the RPTV would react differently from a tuber, but didn't know for sure.

And yes, I know well the horrors (sound-wise) of having the home stereo being a part of the my surround system. Audio purists all over are rolling in their graves at the thought, I'm sure. But until one of them buys me a new house, this is the only choice.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks