What's new

Noise in PT47wx49 (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I just got a Panny 47in the other day and have been loving it. Did the convergence, (9pt, the 47pt was just too confusing for me) and did the red push defeat tweak, adjusted the color and contrast according to most tweak pages. I notice that I get some fine noise when watching most DVD's, expecially ones darker in tone. Is this just NTSC artifacting?

Also, when not using component inputs the picture is very dark. Is this because I havent broken in the guns yet? I wont be springing for and ISF calibration for a while now but want the most out of this.

Any ideas?

Chris Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats on your new baby! Don't sweat it, just give it some time and play around with the user settings until you have an acceptable picture. I find that I have to fine tune my user settings when watching DVD's as compared to digital cable, although once I got the set ISF'd these adjustments are minimal. If the picture is too dark in dark scenes try increasing brightness some, if too dark in "bright" scenes try increasing contrast some. Remember you have adjustments in the service menu for these values too. As a general rule, you want to try to keep contrast set between 00 and 05 in service menu and 31 or below in user settings. Then adjust brightness accordingly. Avia can help a lot with these adjustments too. Just make sure to write down those original settings in service menu before you change anything. As for the noise issue, you can try decreasing sharpness to about 10-15 and turn on video NR. This helped me. There are many threads regarding noise issues over at www.panny.tv. Also make sure you are using decent cables, as cheap ones are notorious for sub-par performance. One of the nicest "tweaks" I did was install a 6500k backlight (about $35). Really makes a difference. Best of luck!
Chris

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I think it is just interference, it only happens when the dvd is loading something or changing menus, etc when the noise happens. I actually fiddled with the settings in the DVD player(JVC 75GD) and that helped. The too bright or too dark thing didnt bother me until I switched to interlaced mode on the player. It was like night and day. The Svideo inputs are also very dark on here. I am just waiting for it to break in.

As for ISF, gotta get some more money together after dropping all I had on the set and cables, also just got a new receiver, Pioneer 811s with Dolby EX and DTS ES. Lovin it all man!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks