What's new

No Victoria's Secret Fashion show this year (1 Viewer)

Rob T

Screenwriter
http://money.cnn.com/2004/04/12/news...torias_secret/
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Victoria's Secret, owned by Limited Brands Inc., is dropping its racy televised fashion show this year, but a spokesman for the company told CNN/Money on Monday that it has very little to do with Janet's Jackson's breast-baring move at this year's Super Bowl.

"Some are saying that the show is not running because of the Super Bowl incident, but that's not really the case," said Ed Razek, chief marketing officer for Limited. "Clearly, we could've gotten the show on air if we wanted to."

Instead, Razek said the company will spend the $10 million used to produce the show in previous years to promote the brand in different ways.

"It's fashion, and we can't always use the same way to promote the brand," he added.

Speculations linked the decision to the controversial Super Bowl incident because the agreement to cancel was reached only weeks after one of Jackson's breasts was exposed during her Super Bowl halftime performance on CBS.

CBS has carried the Victoria's Secret show for the last two years.

Ratings for the television special, however, haven't been a great success for the TV network.

The show averaged 9.4 million viewers last year, down 10 percent from 10.5 million viewers in 2002. It generated 12.3 million viewers in 2001, when the ABC network televised the show for the first time.

"It wasn't sizzling in the ratings before," said John Higgins, deputy editor with Broadcasting & Cable magazine. "Now, with all the government pressure about broadcast indecency, it's certainly not worth the heat for either side."

The Federal Communications Commission has been under pressure to punish indecency on the airwaves since the Super Bowl incident. Last week, the commission proposed $495,000 in fines against Clear Channel Communications Inc. for airing indecent comments made by shock jock Howard Stern.

The fashion show normally airs in November, just before the start of the holiday shopping season.

In the past, the Victoria's Secret fashion show has generated criticism from conservative groups complaining about underwear models strutting down the runway in skimpy lingerie on national TV.

CBS declined to comment for this story.

Rob T

Screenwriter
While it isn't sad that it won't be on this year (I couldn't really care less), it is sad that these companies are afraid of the FCC. I wish they'd fight harder on this issue. :frowning:

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
It's funny how people react since they cancelled this show. Last time I remember there's about a million movies that will take you further than just a walk down the aisle in lingerie if you know what I mean. ;)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

Never thought of it in that way. She's not all together into the other movies, but watching those girls in the lingerie would satisfy both interests. Me the boobies, and her, well the lace. :D

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
One less program length commercial.

Don't get me wrong, I like nothing more then the sight of attractive women "modeling" but such blatent product tie-in was pretty crass. Of course now there is room for a "Fredrick's of Hollywood" fashion show :D

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Well isn't that what a fashion show is? A place for designers to show off and advertise their products and designs? :confused:

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Why would people want to watch this with their wives? If you want to oogle models, how does having your wife there help. Now I can see that it is safe and that you may not get yelled at for watching it, but for those who are not married or are ensconsed in a long term relationship, make sure your partner isn't opposed to watching some racier fare.

I do think it is sad how stations are caving into FCC pressure. The real sad thing is that Janet Jackson is being rewarded for her participation in the stunt while the F.C.C. is going on a witch hunt on people such as Howard Stern who, although is racy, hasn't broken any indecency laws.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

Some women have a different sense of humor or "decency" than others. I watched the first one of these with a girlfriend and it was a lot of fun- we were cracking jokes, critquing their figures, laughing at you stereotypically bubble-headed Heidi Klum is, and those stupid wings!

The next year she wasn't around and I started to watch it alone and got bored.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

That's exactly the circumstances in which I would watch with my girlfriend. If I was watching it for the women, I'd opt to do it alone because my girlfried would get annoyed if I was lusting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks