What's new

"No Time For Sergeants": Why isn't it on DVD? (1 Viewer)

svenge

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Svenge Guttensen
I love the movie, but there hasn't been a DVD release of it? WHY?????????

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Buy A FACE IN THE CROWD first.....Andy Griffith at the peak of his talents...and shocking those who think of him merely as "Andy Taylor" in the process.

Perhaps increased sales of this cinematic masterpiece, that should have earned Griffith an Academy Award, will spur Warner Brothers to look to the delightful SERGEANTS as a follow-up release to the fans of Mr. Griffith.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Why should "No Time For Sergeants" have to depend on the sales of another DVD to merit release. With the increased releases of catalog titles, it should be released or not released on its own merits.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
I saw this title on sale at TCM website (and movies unlimited which is the same store). Is it official release or some of the bootlegs floating around of 50-minute kinescope-sourced TV version from 1955? The cover and running time show the movie version, but I haven't seen it announced or being sold anywhere else.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Reading the description, it is the movie version from 1958. I would think TCM has permission to put it out. I think WB owns TCM, though I may be wrong.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I recall yhat the last WB chat that there were some rights issue (the Ira Levin adaptation) that are being resolved.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
What other hidden films at TMC are on DVD that we do not know about? The last I heard was that there were some rights issues. Are there any extras? I read that Andy Griffith did a commentary and I can not tell from the sites. Also this must be an exclusive, for no other DVD seller has it.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
From the thread on the 2009 Warner Chat:

How about No Time for Sergeants?

Warner: We finally found the heirs of the author of the play and we're in discussions with them. It's looking optimistic right now.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The 50-minute TV version is part of Criterion's welcome GOLDEN AGE OF TELEVISION set. It includes a filmed segment of Griffith from 1981, when PBS reaired the shows that make up the package.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks