Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Not surprised.

This new iPhone is a real "bust" to those of us who
already own one.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Both are just software issues technically speaking, so they could be enabled at any point.

I understand why AT&T wouldn't want tethering -- although, why not simply have a pricier "tethering permitted" plan? But why no talking NAV? First of all I read that Tom Tom has software in the works, and secondly why have such a restriction -- unlike the tethering, what does Apple or AT&T care if Garmin goes out of business?

Ted

Jonathan_

Second Unit
AT&T does offer tethering with their 3g phones. It's $60 a month for 3g service and tethering instead of $30 just for 3g service on the phone.

Blu

Screenwriter

This is exactly right. I'm holding out for more storage. That and we don't have a 3G network in town so it just isn't usable to its full potential right now.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member

So is MMS which is lacking from the first iPhone, and from the 3G version. It's now available on the most basic cell phones bust still not on the iPhone. Don't expect "software issues" that you might expect on a phone to be added when something that everyone WOULD expect still hasn't been added.

ErichH

Screenwriter

Indeed, or an Apple App with voice nav for 49.00 bucks on day 1. Time for Apple to make money on software for the iPhone. Why would they let every one else have all the fun. Hold back a much needed feature and break out a well protected carrot.

The GPS demo was interesting for voyeurs at best. OK, so perhaps I might want to watch my UPS guy so I can go to the store and not miss him. We'll see if that's free
The UPS tracker for 9.95 - only at the App Store

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Oh I agree -- when I say "software issue" I mean it can be turned on with a simple firmware change. But if Apple/AT&T don't want feature X, it is above all a political/ideological/etc. issue.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Where is the info that Apple is blocking Voice Nav coming from though -- are they somehow obstructing Tom Tom's development efforts or...?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks