What's new

No Surround Sound through TV (1 Viewer)

superj016

Auditioning
Real Name
jill
I am trying to get my surround sound speakers to work with my TV and I am having no luck. The surround sound works with my Blu-Ray player, the dvd/cd player in the receiver, and the receiver's radio tuner but not with the TV. Currently, I have an hdmi cable connecting the Sony home theater system (model, DAV-TZ130) to my Samsung tv (model, PN1D550), and an audio cable? (red and and white) connected to my Sony BluRay player (model, BDP-S570). To get the surround to work with the tv, I have tried connecting the audio cables from the receiver to the tv but that did nothing. Of course, the external speaker option on the tv is selected when I'm trying to do this (which I can only choose with the HT receiver turned off). I believe the reason for the problem is that there is only one audio output from the tv and it's an optical digital audio output (the tv only has composite cable inputs) . But, if I get an optical cable, where would I connect it since there is no input for it on the receiver? Also, I have another component I'd like to connect to the surround sound as well, if it's possible. It's a Philips (model, DVP3345VB) vcr/dvd combo. How would I accomplish this? Thank you for any help. Not getting surround sound through the TV has been very frustrating!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Looking at the Sony page for this model, I see only one analog input. The means you can connect only one external device - and that connection is stereo only. You will not get surround sound from anything other than the built in DVD player. If this is a new purchase, I would suggest returning it. If not, unfortunately you're out of luck with adding additional components.

superj016

Auditioning
Real Name
jill
Even if I only use the home theater device, shouldn't I still be able to get surround sound through the tv? I can't even get surround sound through the tv if it's the only thing I'm connecting. Unfortunately, I can't return it. It was a gift from out of state.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Jill, do you have a link to the manual for your TV? A quick Google search yielded only 7 results. If I understand correctly, your TV only has optical out. If that is the case, then you will need optical in to use it. How are you getting your TV? Do you have a cable box or satellite?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks