What's new

No sound from tv to homecinema (1 Viewer)

s4ever

Auditioning
Real Name
sadicu
Hi guys,
I need some help to get the sound from the tv to work in my homecinema.
The tv its a Samsung D550 and the home cinema is a PHILIPS HTS3538/12.
I have connected thru HDMI to get the video from HC to Tv and its working great. The problems appears when I want to have sound from tv channels (cable tv) which I want to get with a classic regular pair of audio RCA cable (red-black).
So after inserting as described in DVD manual (HDMI for video and RCA for audio) still not working, ive changed in the tv menu to external speakers and it gets mute, also i set the dvd to AUX as input source...nothing.
I know i can try and buy an optical cable but what i found were just too long for my needs so I went for RCA, was that a bad decision?
Any help will be appreciated.

Eddie W.

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the RCA cables are a bad decision. This TV ONLY has optical audio outputs so you're probably hooking the RCA cable to an input. Which is why you're not getting sound. Also, you don't say if you're using a cable box, but the best option would be to have the optical going from the cable box to the Phillips unit & bypassing the TV altogether. You should only pump sound from the TV itself if you are using it's internal tuner.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Optical cables come in any length you need. For the best prices try Monoprice.com (of course, Amazon will be easier).

s4ever

Auditioning
Real Name
sadicu
:(
Thanks for explanations...i thought that the tv has rca audio output...anyway ill go for the optical cable..the only reason that i bought rca was that the store that was near me had only 3M cables and i need max 1.5M ... Thanks again

s4ever

Auditioning
Real Name
sadicu
Any other ideas? Does it matters that on the tv i see only PCM when i switch to external speakers? The dolby is inactive but i though its because on the tv provider...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This would be a lot simpler if you just tell us everything involved.
What "sound" are you trying to get out of the TV...
Cable/sat box.
Gaming system...
Other stuff...
Your HTiB has aux in(1/8th or red/white) and an optical.

s4ever

Auditioning
Real Name
sadicu
I dont know what sound i want...the tv channel sounds :D . All i have is the cable antena which is plugged directly in the tv ( no STB) and the digital output from the tv to the HC (and HDMI from HC to tv)...thats all...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Supposedly the TV is capable of DTS 2.0.
Make sure DTS is turned off. Your HTiB probably only handles PCM 2.0 and DD 5.1. It might not even decipher DD 2.0.

s4ever

Auditioning
Real Name
sadicu
After 3 days of failures i give up... i cant make it work... any other ideas?:confused:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I tried to ask you a simple question and you gave me a "totally lost" answer.
I'll try again...
What sound(as in WHAT IS THE SOUND YOU ARE TRYING TO GET OUT OF THIS TV) are you trying to get out of this TV?
Internal tuner?
Something connected via HDMI?
Apps?
WHAT SOUND ARE YOU TRYING TO GET OUT OF THIS TV??????????????????????????????????????????

s4ever

Auditioning
Real Name
sadicu
The sound i want is the one from internal tuner...as i said there is nothing between tv and hc (no STB,no dish, no nothing). Again the layout is this:1)very long cable from the provider to my tv 2) optic cable from tv to HC 3)HDMI cable from HC to tv. Thats all and i want to hear the sound from tv music channels in my HC...hope i was clear this time

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Because the 4 different sizes of the TV have different menus(meaning different features)...there are things the 46" does the 32" does not. And there are things the D550 plasma do, the D550 LCD don't do...
So, now that we know it is a 32D550...we might get somewhere...

s4ever

Auditioning
Real Name
sadicu
I see...can i provide other details?
PS. I have just updated to the latest firmware the HC which now have also HDMI ARC but i don think the tv has so ...useless...
PS2: This is from Samsung site:
Audio
Dolby: Dolby Digital Plus / Dolby Pulse
SRS Theater Sound
DTS 2.0 + Digital output
Sound (RMS): 10 W x 2

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I found an e-manual(which I hate Samsung E-manuals...they suck)...
Go into speaker settings...
Speaker Select (External Speaker / TV Speaker) (copy and past from the E-Manual)
Set for External.
When Speaker Select is set to External Speaker, the VOLUME and
MUTE buttons will not operate and the sound settings will be limited. (also copy and past from the E-Manual. Since it says your "volume and sound settings are limited" means the TV is automatically set fixed)
That is all you need to do. Period. If it doesn't work, your TV is defective (it could also mean the optical on the HTiB is defective...or you just aren't choosing the input)

s4ever

Auditioning
Real Name
sadicu
Yes, i read that over and over..but i refuse to believe that the tv optic output is not working...i need to find a laptop or something to test it.
Bottom line is that i need to test separatly the tv and HC to find which one is defective or if its something else...i disagree that i could choose the wrong input/output as its really straight forward, the HC has only 1 HDMI Output and 1 optical INPUT, on the other hand the tv has only 1 optical OUTPUT and several HDMI for input/output ... so really i cant get it wrong...
Thank you for your time.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, sometimes stuff just doesn't work...
If you've exhausted(eventually) other checks...then something is broken.
Won't be the first time. I owned an Integra CD player for 15 years before I decided to hook it up via toslink. It spent its entire time, with me, connected to an analog only pre-amp...
The toslink was dead. I didn't buy it new either. It might have been dead right out of the box with the prior owner. I bought it from the prior owner when I was discussing needing a CD player for my Kenwood Basic set. At the time it was a $500 CD player. He probably didn't know the toslink didn't work either.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"but i refuse to believe that the tv optic output is not working...i need to find a laptop or something to test it."
It's easy to tell if the optical is working. Plug one end into the tv's output, turn the tv on and look at the other end of the cable. If it's bright red then it's transferring a signal. If it isn't then it isn't tranferring a signal.
This is a bit of an exaggeration but you get the idea...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fiber_optic_illuminated.jpg
You can also look at the displays optical output port and see the little glow... This will tell you if the display is outputting a signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks