What's new

No sound from Sony BDP S460 BLu-Ray (1 Viewer)

CLLou

Auditioning
Real Name
Connie
[SIZE= larger]Just hooked up Sony Home Theater HT-CT100 (soundbar & subwoofer combo), Sony Blu-Ray BDP S460, two rear speakers, Samsung HDTV P6163W, and Motorola DVR cable box to a Sony STR-DH800 receiver. I only have one HDMI output from my TV, so I ran HDMI from TV to receiver. HDMI from DVR cable box to receiver. HDMI from HT-CT100 to receiver. HDMI from Blu-Ray to receiver. Optical cable from DVR to HT-CT100 (there is no audio for TV unless optical is used here). My TV audio and video works correctly, but I can only get video when I turn on my Blu-Ray player. Do I need to change something on the receiver to tell the Blu-Ray how to get to the audio? [/SIZE]

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm wondering why on earth you would use a soundbar in conjunction with a receiver. Soundbars are designed to be an aesthetically pleasing all-in-one solution that simulates a surround field. Besides that, is there an HDMI out on the soundbar? It would seem that the appropriate course is to chain the components to get BD sound. HDMI from BD to receiver is good, but you would need to run HDMI from the soundbar to the TV to get sound off the BD, since your HDMI is carrying all elements (picture and sound) to the soundbar. I take it you don't even get sound from the rears in this scenario.

CLLou

Auditioning
Real Name
Connie
I purchased the soundbar first because I have limited space and could place it in front of my TV. Later I decided to mount two rear speakers on the wall. Today I ran optical cable from BD to the receiver and I'm getting BD sound from the rear speakers only. There are (3) HDMI's on the soundbar. I have HDMI from the soundbar to the receiver. Yes, I would do HDMI from to soundbar to the TV, but there is only one HDMI on the TV and it going to the receiver. The DVR (cable box) HDMI is also going to the receiver. If there was an additional HDMI on the TV, I think I could make it work, but so far still stumped. Any other suggestions?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
What I'm saying is that if you run HDMI from your soundbar to the TV, there's no reason to run HDMI from the receiver to the TV; the soundbar just becomes part of the chain. In other words, if you are running HDMI from your cable box to your receiver and from your BD player to your receiver, there is no reason why the signals from both shouldn't pass through directly to the TV via HDMI from receiver to soundbar. As well, if you can't get sound via HDMI from your cable box, I suspect something's funky in the settings on your cable box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks