What's new

No progressive DVD output from XBox (1 Viewer)

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Porting is fine and all as it does give publishers the chance to make more money with little effort, and it is nice to not have to buy every single console to play all the games you want.
But as gamers, lets not forget some of the negatives (besides possibly buying the same game twice). In many cases, ports are shoddy. Either something is lost (is the case in most PC -> Console ports) or little to no changes were made to take advantage of the system it was being ported to, which in turn makes it pale in comparison to similar games on the same system.
I have litte doubt that Madden on XBox and Gamecube will only look marginally better than the PS2 version as they will basically be a port (same goes for NFL2K2). In comparison, the Link Removed at NFL Fever goes on and on about how detailed the game is and how it takes advantage of the system.
In many cases with a port, you're simply left wondering "what if?"
And lets not forget a games which is developed for multiple systems at the same time. In most cases, concessions are made on all versions are made to accomadate all the platforms being developed on. In some cases it may be beneficial to make one game that takes a system to it's limits and becomes a game that everyone must have instead of a game that just looks pretty good on all systems. In many cases, this is how a franchise is born.
As stated, I have no problem with games being put out on multiple platforms. But I don't think multiplatforming is neccessarily the savior of the industry that many currently think it is. There's give and take in each situation, and decisions have to be made on what will be best overall.
------------------

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Porting can be good and bad. Porting after an exclusivity deal (like how Dead or Alive 2 is exclusive to DC and is on PS2) is the main problem for me. I have DoA2 for DC and DoA2:H for PS2 because I want the best version of the game. I don't like having to buy two versions to get the maximum benefits. I prefer that all ports of a game be released at the same time or with no differences between them other than graphics and control mapping (two things that are pretty much given).
Actually, the idea that console ports are worse than PC ports is not always true. Rayman 2 for DC was the first port of the PC version and looked/played better than the PC version. This has happened with other games and the only time it doesn't happen is with ultra high end games. I think Half-Life looks and plays substantially better than the PC version on PS2, mainly because the game's graphics are so old.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
How the hell can different models on the PS2 make the game play better?
I can see how the more limited user interface, resolution, and frame rate could make it play worse, but I can't see how different models change the gameplay. I mean it is all about gameplay and not graphics, right?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
From what I have read and seen, the game's graphics have improved a lot over the PC version and there have been a lot of additions to the game. Better graphics can make the gameplay a little better, and having more to do adds to the game. Maybe it doesn't run at an ultra high resolution, but I personally would rather play a game on a big TV than a tiny monitor, no matter how high the resolution (as long as the TV version doesn't look like total crap).
The limited user interface is not limited, its just redone for use with a controller instead of a keyboard. If you don't like it, get a USB keyboard/mouse and use those.
As long as the frame rate is above 55 FPS (which Half-Life is supposed to be) then I am happy. If there is a little slow down, no biggie.
Slower frame rate, different interface, and lower resolution don't affect the gameplay that dramatically unless it goes from being really high to really low for the frame rate or resolution. If it looks good enough and plays good enough, I could care less if there is that much of a difference.
The character models have been remade, have higher res textures, more details, and the graphics altogether have been revamped. If the frame rate and resolution were the same as the PC one, this version would be way better than the original.
Also, I would rather pay $400 to play Half-Life than over $1000. A PC is expensive, way more so than a PS2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks