What's new

No progressive DVD output from XBox (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
So this could explain why there in no details on the Sega 2k games for Xbox? Or Silent Hill 2? Is Silent Hill 2 keeping silent so it sells well on PS2 first and then Xbox?

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Yep you got it. Release the game on the PS2 now, then later release a better version on the Xbox and the hardcore fans will buy it again unless they hear the details about it before the first one is released.

Gary King

Second Unit
That's why Konami's being tight-lipped.
MGS2 is expected to sell millions of copies on PS2 (and it certainly deserves to sell that many). Of course, the Xbox version will be even better... So, by remaining quiet about MGSX, Konami can sell two copies to quite a few Metal Gear fans. Same with Silent Hill (although Konami is much more open about Silent Hill 2: Director's Cut than about MGSX).
On the other hand, Microsoft wants to sell as many games as possible (first, second, and third-party). If gamers know that a *huge* title is right around the corner, they'll typically curtail any game purchases and just bide their time for that one really big game (witness how few PS2 titles were sold, regardless of quality, as PS2 owners simply waited for the blockbusters). Gamers not buying games is a death blow to 3rd parties (most are up to their eyeballs in financial problems), and doesn't help Microsoft turn a profit.
So, rather than hyping titles that won't show up for six months, Microsoft is hyping the Xbox launch (and 4Q 2001) titles. A game like Fuzion Frenzy probably wouldn't get too much attention if it were nestled between FFX and MGS2. However, by limiting the flow of information, Microsoft has artificially forced webzines and magazines to provide a higher percentage of coverage to it than they normally would, simply because not much information on other titles is available. And quite a few of the smaller Xbox titles (including Fuzion Frenzy) deserve a good look from Xbox owners.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Speaking of MGS 2, you have to wonder if this weeks' events will result in a change to the game, or a delay in North America at least. (it apparently features New York City terrorism as part of the story)
-Dan

paul h

Supporting Actor
Well i've been reading C&VG for a long time now and i havent seen any anti-XBox sentiments, they seem pretty excited about the machine.
After the turn of events with ResEvil and Gamecube i wouldn't be at all surprised to see other franchises getting locked to a specific console. Regarding Metal Gear it was interesting what the Konami rep said:
“Metal Gear Solid has never been on our Xbox release schedules. We don’t know what’s happening with the title.”
[Edited last by paul h on September 14, 2001 at 06:00 AM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Konami isn't halting XB development, they are just scaling down a bit to concentrate on finishing their current PS2 titles.
Square might be hurting, but they are not going to die any time soon. They rereleased FFIV and Chrono Trigger because of 2 reasons (people demanded them and financial gain) but they botched the rerelease of FFTactics and FFChronicles with some faulty discs, so that probably hurt them.
With the technology and staff in place, Square could make another Final Fantasy movie (or some other movie) for around $75 million that looks better than the first movie and is longer. If they do so and create more films, they will be rolling in money (if the movies are good).
Columbia and Square Pictures made Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. Columbia is owned by Sony, so in a sense, Sony paid for the movie, too.
Square announced the remakes of FF7-9 for PS2 before FF9 even came out in America. They are pouring millions into each of the games to make them look and sound (maybe even play) better, so they aren't just doing it for money (though they probably do everything with financial gain in mind).
I doubt MGS2 will be held back. Its coming out in November, and by then we will either be in a war (maybe even have already ended it) or we will be rebuilding a new World Trade Center. The game also involves giant robots, Russian terrorists, nuclear weapons, cloning, and a mullet, so I doubt it will be that big of a deal (especially since you play the good guy and try to stop nuclear war). I wonder if they are going to change the landscape of the game to remove the WTC towers, even though you don't actually go in them, and it does take place in the future.
Metal Gear Solid X is supposed to be a mix of Metal Gear Solid and MGS2 (I don't know what this means or how it will work). That is what I read somewhere and not much else is available. The only benfits that there are supposed to be (if at all) would be better sound and graphics.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
so they aren't just doing it for money (though they probably do everything with financial gain in mind).
Morgan, that takes the trump! SquareSoft is a business - *everything* they do is for the money! Individuals may make decisions/choices for artistic reasons, but as a company, it's all about the money, baby!
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
One of the driving forces behind the decision to release FFChronicles and FFTactics was the demand. Had there not been one, they never would have.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
One of the driving forces behind the decision to release FFChronicles and FFTactics was the demand. Had there not been one, they never would have.
LOL. Exactly. There was a demand for the game - that means *sales* of it. They didn't do it 'out of the good of their collective heart' - they did because it's a way to sell copies of games already designed meaning reduced costs! They didn't release FFChronicles at a 'bargain' price 'for the fans' - they released it at full price to maximise return.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I know. They did it because it made money, it would be stupid to release it for free. I was just saying that the reasons for releasing it went hand in hand (make money and the fans are happy) and it wasn't just for money.
They didn't release FFChronicles at a 'bargain' price 'for the fans' - they released it at full price to maximise return.
They had to translate Final Fantasy 4 all over again for the release and then had to add features to both games. Publishing them together would no doubt make them cost the same as a regular game.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Good call Brian. I bought Final Fantasy Anthology and Final Fantasy Chronicles, neither were reduced as thanks to "our fans." I also may be persuaded to re-purchase 7+8 if they're more than 7+8 in a new case. (IE 5.1 sound in cutscenes, graphics improved, etc.) If not, I'll just be content playing the PSX versions on the PS2. I'm surprised more companies haven't done the 'anthology' thing, I'd love to see Metal Gear Chronicles, I'm psyched about Castlevania Chronicles, and would love to see more, or a Mega Man anthology, Zelda, Contra..(include the arcade version, too)the list could go on and on. I'd pay for those collections in an instant.
Jason

Gary King

Second Unit
They had to translate Final Fantasy 4 all over again for the release and then had to add features to both games. Publishing them together would no doubt make them cost the same as a regular game.
I'm sure Square spent a couple of million dollars translating FF4.
rolleyes.gif

FF4 was already ported to the PSX (with the added, crappy, FMV) for Japan (again, to maximize profits, not for a charity cause). The cost of translating it cost Square a couple of thousand dollars at most. They made a sizeable return on virtually no effort.
Chrono Trigger was even less effort, since the FMV was there from the Japanese release, and the translation was the Ted Woolsey one.
If Square had a charity cause in mind, they would have done better to release the ROMs to the public *for free*. The games run much better under SNES '9x/ZSNES on a PC than they do on the Playstation, and it wouldn't have cost them a dime (there has been an unofficial FF4 translation available on the net for a while).
OTOH, Square released two (at best) mediocre ports and slapped a $40 price tag on the bundle. Believing that Square did it for any reason other than finances is being very naive.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If they wanted to make better ports of the games, it would have cost more money. Making the ROMs free to the public would be stupid and pointless since people will get the ROMs if they want them anyway. Also, the translations of the FF games are not good translations and have many problems with them.
If they had released the games separately for around $20-$25 each, it would be sensible. Releasing them for $40 together was, too. If they had made them play better for PSX, it would have cost more money that they probably weren't willing to spend. If I can play Chrono Trigger on my PlayStation, I can stand to wait a second or two for the loading times.
Also, ROMs don't play on PSX. People didn't demand ROMs, they demanded PSX ports.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Yep you got it. Release the game on the PS2 now, then later release a better version on the Xbox and the hardcore fans will buy it again unless they hear the details about it before the first one is released.
Hmmm...depends upon your perspective.
This could also be a sign of noncommittal developers. They want to apease Microsoft with a known title but don't want to invest in designing from scratch. That way they save money (and face) in the event that Xbox doesn't become the success everyone hopes. Once they see Xbox as a success they'll put more resources into future projects.
Again, it's all about perspective. The same thing with Capcom and the Resident Evil series on Gamecube.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
So do you believe that if the Xbox was too become the majority in the console war than Capcom would bring the RE series over too it?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
So do you believe that if the Xbox was too become the majority in the console war than Capcom would bring the RE series over too it?
If it's financially worth their time/effort once the GameCube exclusivity deal is finished (six Resident Evil games), yes.
The original Resident Evil was ported to what, the PC, the Saturn, the Nintendo64 & work was started on a Gameboy Colour version too.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Resident Evil was on PC, Saturn, and PSX. The GameBoy version was cancelled and RE2 was brought to N64. The N64 version also came out over a year after the PSX version, and the DC versions of RE2 and 3 came out even later. Capcom probably thought it would be good to bring the game series to different markets (DC, PC, PSX, N64, PS2) but felt that people who only owned a PSX were out of luck on the better graphics of the N64, DC, and PC versions, and that PS2 owners lost out on Code Veronica. They put all the games on one console, so people think "hey, 6 excellent games on one console? I should buy that console and those games!" and then they will be successful.
I think their exclusivity deal goes beyond 6 games. The remakes of 1-3 and CV are exclusive no matter what, and they are probably going to release more beyond just 4 on GCN.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Where did you hear that the deal is only 6 games? Lets see here, RE 0,1,2,3,CV,4. This deal will be over sooner than I thought. This is a good news.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks