What's new

No progressive DVD output from XBox (1 Viewer)

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
I don't know much about its architecture, but I can't imagine Microsoft would allow any modifications to the X-box that weren't MS sanctioned. They've been trying to convince people this thing wasn't a PC for months, and for the console hardware to allow that seems to go against that stance.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Nor would Microsoft allow a third party to release DVD software (unless, of course, they change their minds in the future). Xbox is a console and they have full control over the software released on it.
That's why I'm looking forward to a hack job.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I remember when MS made sure that everyone thought of the XB as a gaming console and not a PC. Now, they are doing the same thing but are making it a gaming console and not a Home Theater piece. One of its biggest selling points was pulled out for a very good reason, and MS should have just removed DVD altogether. Putting a PIII inside and playing DVDs made it something other than a gaming console. The only true gaming console is the GCN. It doesn't play DVDs, doesn't have a HDD, doesn't have a keyboard, won't have browsing or chat abilities, and just plays games. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with DVD and a HDD, but having them at all makes the XB more of a PC than a gaming console.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Morgan, if you are going to take XBOX to task for being PC-like, you need to play fair & mention the PS2.
Link Removed
Which one is more PC-like?
-Dave
------------------
DVD List

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I think that having a Hard Drive is more of a evolutionary step for consoles. And the fact that it uses DVD's as it medium it's more than prefect. They made a great system and lets just hope that the Progressive scan will be changed. I would love to see a petition but right now, I would love to see a statement from Microsoft about this. I have a feeling that TGS will answer a lot of our questions including this one. My persnoal belief is that it was pulled for the new Home Theater Box they bring out next Christmas which I'm totally against.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I admit that the PS2 is PC like, if you purchase the modem and HDD, but otherwise it isn't that much like a PC (not as much as the XB).
Having a HDD is an evolutionary step, but thats not what MS is making it look like. Using DVDs for game storage is great, too, but using the feature to be able to watch DVD movies makes it less of a gaming machine (I'm not saying the PS2 is any more or less of gaming machine because it uses them, too). Of all the consoles, the XB is the least gaming console-like and the GCN is the most.
If the XB was able to crunch all of its power into a smaller box and didn't use such PC like hardware (like a PIII) then it would probably be more console-like. I would have liked to see an XB without ethernet and a HDD for around $200, then make the two of them as add-ons. While it would chop down the user base a bit, having them available at launch and for a cheap price would make them more accessible to people.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I believe that add ons are cheap after thoughts and they hardly ever sel well IMO. Look at the add on they had for the N64, the disk drive. 32x, Sega CD, and the PS2 LCD monitor will probably sell like crap. Also, they put it on the system for a reason, it needs it. In the end, how do we know that the games will not use it, the games aren't even 100% completely made yet. As for the XB being more PC like, the system is trying to combine both of the worlds together, I believe it's called evolution of a console. The Xbox will have both PC ports and console originated games, I don't see a problem with this!
On topic here, does the Xbox have the ability to have software upgrades towards things like progressive scan?

Dan B

Screenwriter
I'm feeling the urge to post some Yamauchi quotes again. I beg of you...don't make me post Yamauchi quotes. They are not pleasant.
-Dan
unable to sleep
------------------
flag.gif

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't want to do this, but I have to.
The Xbox will have both PC ports and console originated games, I don't see a problem with this!
You don't need an XB to get those console games or the PC games, which makes the XB kinda pointless. Assuming you already own a PC and plan on buying two next-gen consoles, you would be better off getting a PS2 and GCN so that you can get the PS2 exclusives and the GCN exclusives (the XB exclusives are not 100% exclusive or are first party titles, they don't have strong third party support). Granted, you can't get Munch on any other consoles, but I would rather get a bunch of great exclusive PS2 games than a few good exclusive XB games.

Bing Fung

Agent
I for one am kinda pissed about this just because of the principle.
I pre ordered based on a set of expected specifications. Sure my main reason is to play games{that are going to look stunning), however I can't help feel as if I've been duped somehow.
------------------
Bing
images_spin.gif

Link Removed

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I know that the Genesis sold well, but that was back in the mid 80's. Back then, the light gun for the NES and the glove for the SNES sold VERY well.
I don't see why people are so mad about this whole prog. scan thing. MS never said it would be included, and you shouldn't assume things unless they are practically given (like Sega making good games or Nintendo making something revolutionary in one way or another). As I sit back and watch, the XB is getting less and less support from gamers and developers. I think its kind of funny.

Shawn O

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the XBox just gained 5 new developers?
Argonaut Games
Just Add Monsters
Mesa Logic
Presto Studios
Studio Gigante
Besides 3DO,who else have they lost lately?

Shawn O

Stunt Coordinator
To quote TeamXbox.com:
Argonaut Games has produced numerous hit games such as "Croc: The
Legend of the Gobbos," and new technologies such as the Super FX
chip.
Just Add Monsters (JAM) based in Cambridge, England, was founded
and is staffed by former Sony Computer Entertainment developers
whose respective artistic, development and design talents have been
instrumental in the production of numerous blockbuster titles, including
"MediEvil," "MediEvil2" and "Frogger".
Mesa Logic located in a suburb of Dallas, has developed such arcade
hits as "Area 51," "Maximum Force" and "Site 4," each published by
Atari Games Corp. The three award-winning games went on to set sales
records in the arcade industry.
Presto Studios was founded in 1991 in San Diego. Presto has grown into
a cutting-edge entertainment software development company known for
its engaging, photo-realistic games, including "Myst III: Exile" and the
Journeyman Project series of time travel adventures.
Studio Gigante in Chicago, has produced such games as the widely
popular "Mortal Kombat" and WWF series, "NBA Showtime 2000" and
"NFL Blitz 2000".

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They haven't lost developers, but developers are focusing more on games for PS2 and GCN than XB. The ones who aren't are second party or are making exclusive titles.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Why are developers leaving the Xbox? I heard Konami night be leaving which is a huge lose! Why go to the PS2 which is a lot harder to make games for?

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
Morgan,
Actually...The Dreamcast didn't do well...which is why they canned it. I also seem to remember the Genesis coming out in 1990 (possibly 1989), so that isn't exactly mid 80s. Also, the glove Nintendo came out with did not sell well (rather hard to use). And, I guess you might not remember that the light gun came with most NES's back in the days (back when we were given real value for a bundle).
As far as the whole progressive scan thing, this doesn't really change my mind about buying it. I wasn't even planning on buying a remote to unlock the DVD player (and really...what kind of playback quality can we expect from a $300 GAME machine) /snob
Bo.
[Edited last by Ian C on September 12, 2001 at 10:50 PM]

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Ian, the Dreamcast did very well, at least in the American market. Unfortunately, the U.S. success was bogged down by the failure in the Japanese market. And since Sega of Japan is always calling the shots...
As for Konami, if they are indeed moving away from the XBOX, I can think of two big reasons: an aversion to supporting an American videogame company (regardless of quality), and coercion from Sony.
-Dave
------------------
DVD List

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks