What's new

No picture on Loewe TV in RGB mode (1 Viewer)

Cagri

Second Unit
Hi, I have a Loewe Calida 32" and an old model Pioneer dvd player, 515. It has no component output, only s-video and EuroAV. It is hooked to the TV by a scart cable, and when I select the signal as RGB on Loewe's menu there is no picture. When it is set to 'auto', it's OK. I thought connections via scart were supposed to carry RGB signals. Is something wrong or is it my misunderstanding the scart/RGB relation? Thanks.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You need to find out what kind(s) of RGB (in terms of scan rate) the TV accepts, it might be interlaced only. In addition, the sync. may be carried as a fourth and fifth connection or mixed with the green for a three cable arrangement, the TV may or may not accept all of these sync. formats.

U.S. TV studios use 480i RGB for some of the studio monitors. Regular PC VGA is for all intents and purposes the same as 480p RGB. The other computer resolutions SVGA, XGA, etc. are also forms of RGB.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Cagri

Second Unit
OK I read the manual once more and there is nothing about what kinds of RGB the TV will accept... On the onscreen menu it says "RGB insertion AV2: yes/no" It doesn't give me that option for AV1, which is the other euroAV input. Is it the DVD player that doesn't send RGB signal or the TV that doesn't accept incoming RGB signal? Anyone familiar with either of these components please?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
New information. The RGB signal used with computer VGA versus the U.S. RGB signal used in consumer video versus the European RGB signal used in consumer video have very slight timing differences (between the end of one scan line and the start of the next) even at the same scan rates, 480i or 480p for NTSC or 576i or 576p for PAL. Some TV sets accept any of the timing formats interchangeably, others don't.

Assuming the timing and the scan rate are compatible, feeding component video into an RGB input or vice versa will give a picture, only the colors will be wrong.

SCART cables can be wired for your choice of component/RGB, composite, or S-video but you have to make sure the TV is wired to match that choice.

Users who are viewing this thread