What's new

No Ordinary Family season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I had business calls going on during the show. I saw it, but could not hear it. So the kid quit the team? I was glad and amused they spent time early on to show the Mom buying shoes! It made sense she'd wear them out!

So the girl with the power to shoot out waves of force was part of Stephen Collin's? I'm confused by this part of the storyline as I keep having to do business during this show.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The shoe thing is kind of dumb, really. They already threw out some business about her being protected from wind and other stuff that would normally be a problem, but if they are now going to say that shoes are subject to friction wear, she would be down to her bare, bloody feet in no time at all. Jim was kind of dumb about football. "Son, using your powers is cheating. Now, get out there--all 5'4", 120 pounds of you--and do it on your own!" Is it cheating if you understand physics and play somebody in pool? Real world factors can easily disrupt a mathematical equation. Without the powers, he has no business being out there at all. I can't believe they had him roll off a tackle. Wait--that might have been the the starting QB. Anyway, it's good to get him off the team.

Again, even being kind of lame, it's entertaining enough.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Nice to see that it got picked up as I am enjoying this series. Its a good popcorn show. I like the fact that they are introducing "villains" and the mystery of how why and where they are coming from.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't usually trouble myself with implausibilities on a show like this, but it seems strange that a genius like the son wouldn't know that it would be obvious that it was someone else's pee.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It's a bird, it's a plane, no...it's super Lucas!

I enjoyed this episode although the suspicious teacher is beginning to get under my skin and the dialogue whenever the family gets together continues to fall very flat.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The last scene was pretty cool, with the family all using their powers. I wish Jim wasn't such a nebbish, though. He's put upon by everyone! In real life, is a sketch artist treated like a pariah by the rest of the force? I like the mom's sidekick. She's good, light comic relief.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I'm actually enjoying this show very much and feel the story line has been progressing well. They won't be able to hide their powers from everyone forever and I wonder where the writers will take that. Would we then be looking at something like The Incredibles or more like SHIELD from Iron Man or something else entirely?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This was a fun episode; my wife said it was her favorite so far.

My quibble, because it's inconsistent within the show: Jim landing on roofs of houses should have destroyed them, but there was not even a stray asphalt shingle. We've seen countless shots of him cratering concrete roofs of towers. But now he lands on stick-framed houses with shingles and ... nothing?

Oh well.

Really enjoyed Jake winning the pool game :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This episode was quite enjoyable, except for the landing on roofs of houses and not destroying them lol.

The dynamic of the family is starting to grow on me, it's improving considerably for me.

Man, if I were Jim grandpa would have been eating that dinner from the other end if he called me out like that in front of everyone, especially when it wasn't even true.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DaveF

My quibble, because it's inconsistent within the show: Jim landing on roofs of houses should have destroyed them, but there was not even a stray asphalt shingle. We've seen countless shots of him cratering concrete roofs of towers. But now he lands on stick-framed houses with shingles and ... nothing?

Really enjoyed Jake winning the pool game :)
Jake winning the game was great, though I think he took it too far with the final shot.

As far as the roofs, I thought Jim was getting more control of such things in past episodes, though probably not as much control as we saw.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
He obviously has improved on his landings, evidenced by his not penetrating roofs. What was unrealistic though was his landings and running across roofs should have resulted in the lights being turned on inside many of the houses.

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
"What was unrealistic though was his landings and running across roofs should have resulted in the lights being turned on inside many of the houses."

No, that wasn't the most unrealistic part of the episode. The most unrealistic part was the CGI used whenever Jim was jumping from rooftop to rooftop which made Peter Parkers rooftop CGI look groundbreaking. THAT was the most unrealistic part of the episode, nevermind the fact that he should have leveled each and every house he landed on.

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
I believe in any superhero story, you suspend a certain level of disbelief. How many lagpoles can realy support a human swinging on them?

I care more about characters actions being consistent within the world they live. Even after the episode where Jim had to sketch a witness describing himself he still does NOTHING to disguise himself when he goes out crime fighting.

--Peter

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Peter Rohlfs

I care more about characters actions being consistent within the world they live. Even after the episode where Jim had to sketch a witness describing himself he still does NOTHING to disguise himself when he goes out crime fighting.

Exactly. The problems with the physics don't bother me in the slightest. It's the problems with the characters that keep me from loving this show. The family itself is starting to click well; I particularly liked the mentioned final scene with the car. But the grandparents could not have been more broadly drawn. Everyone at the police station is a complete asshole. Of course, a white cop would pull over George for Driving While Black. Of course he'd fall asleep on the job. The scenes with Daphne interrogating her classmate fell flat, too. If I'd just had a traumatic experience and a girl kept coming up and prying, I'd be really turned off. While George and the mother's assistant are fun, they're not real characters. They exist to deliver punchline reactions to the "real" characters they shadow.

The real test for this show will be to see what they do when the powers are just a fact of life. I'm more interested in a show about a family that happens to have superpowers than a show about superpowers that just happens to focus on a family.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I generally don't get bothered by super-silliness; I am a Star Trek fan after all. But if the show makes a point, in several episodes, of showing Jim cratering concrete rooftops when he lands, having him land gently without causing a dust cloud on suburban homes is every bit as jarring to me as the broadly-drawn grandparents are to Adam. :) But a show can't be held too tightly to initial constructs: they may decide an early idea doesn't work and drop it. (Stargate SG1 did this when the producers realized that having the team exit every Jump iced and frozen wasn't a workable long-term story device.)

I agree about Daphne being more stalker than helper in her persistent interrogations of the threatened classmate.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The other side of the coin is that a teenage girl paying that much attention to a guy, and touching him on the arm while talking to him, is going to send a message she might not want to send. Without knowing her powers, he went from thinking it was weird to thinking that she could just kind of relate because of her crash, which probably then went to, "She kind of likes me."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks