What's new

No More THX Trailers at the theaters? (1 Viewer)

Sergio Z.

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the Chicago burbs and have not seen a THX trailer in the theater in years. What gives? There are still several "THX Certified" theaters in this area but no more trailer. Is this the same in other cities? I know some will say it sounds the same as any ohter theater, but those trailers always got me pumped.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Hey, now that you think of it, the last THX trailer I saw was in front of Episode III. The 20 years one, with the lines from Alien and Apocalypse Now and Back to the Future.

Then again, the concept behind THX isn't even all that extravagant anymore. People aren't so wowed by the letters now that a large number of people into movies all have their own 5.1 surround system at home.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
We have always had the same ones, for several years,until recently when we got a new Curious George one.

Ryan

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Not in a true THX theater it hasn't, at home...well that's open for debate, but a true THX certified theater has a quality that cine-19 mega-plexes can't hold a candle to.

SteveJKo

Second Unit
If I was to make a list of my "movie theatre sound systems" top ten, not one of them would be THX certified.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
THX isn't a "sound system", it a set of standards a theater must achieve to get the THX certification. A non THX certified theater can clearly be just as good if the theater owners care enough but, of course, these aren't the people that THX is intended for, it is meant to bring franchise cookie cutter theaters up to at least a good standard of sound & acoustic environment quality.

But naturally that isn't the point behind criticizing it IMO...

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Visit the Century Greenback 16 in Sacramento (all auditoriums THX-certified) for living proof that THX does not mean "perfect". One of the main problems THX standards USED to solve was sound from one theater being heard in another, but that doesn't stop it from happening here- I've even heard sound from OUTSIDE coming in through the exit doors! Of course, THX standards don't include always having people who know what they're doing running the film either.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
We still get them here in Vegas.
I just wished we got to see the Shrek THX trailer beofre it got nixed

Felipe S

Stunt Coordinator
thats exactly it. Theaters dont make money by 'wowing' audiences with a THX trailer. Instead they push the viewers patience by showing up to 10 TV commercials (that everyone has seen a million times) and at least 4 movie trailers... once I timed it. 22 minutes of commercials before the movie actually started.

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais

Ya damn right. The last one I saw was at Ep. 3 and the trailer did appear. I have to dive 2 hours to get to the closest THX theater, so I don't go very often, so who knows what happened since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks