What's new

NO MORE 'RIFLEMAN' FROM MPI ? (1 Viewer)

S

silverking

MPI have removed all references to 'Th Rifleman' from their website.
Looks like the rights have expired so unlikely to see Collections 7 & 8 which would have completed the series.Disappointing.

With the lack of any announcements of further seasons for 'Rawhide' 'Have Gun Will Travel' 'Cheyenne' 'Wanted, Dead or Alive' etc it looks like a lean time for western fans in 2007.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I was afraid this might happen. There had been no new releases in quite some time and no announcements for future releases. And your comments/concerns about other westerns are duly noted. I'm definitely concerned that many of these series have hit a wall as far as their continued releases go.

Gary "the western genre has become a real TVonDVD favorite of mine" O.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
That is unfortunate news. To be this close to releasing the entire series, and not finish it stinks. Part of the reason I bought into the DVD sets was that it looked certain that MPI would put the entire series out.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

The first quarter will bring "Alias Smith and Jones" and season two of "Wild, Wild West" (I know, it's a stretch) and next week, "The Adventures of Jim Bowie" (though one could argue that "Jim Bowie" really isn't a Western, but a "Southern"). Fox is also slated to release the first half of season 2 of "The Big Valley," but I can't recall when. But, for the most past, it looks like the traditional Western dramas are taking a back seat, at least at this early stage of 2007.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Since The Rifleman was a Four Star Production like The Big Valley, this (MPI's loss of rights), may actually be a sign that Fox is interested in putting out proper season sets of The Rifleman. If that happens, hopefully they will be priced in such a way that those of us who bought the MPI DVD and VHS releases won't feel too ripped off.

Season sets of The Rifleman might show up in the UK first, like the other Four Star shows, Honey West and Burke's Law have.

Duane Alford

Second Unit

I hope so. I had no interest in these random box sets and have been waiting for season sets. I just hope if the season sets do come, they'll be complete season sets, cause I'm not buying split sets either.

S

silverking

I think the long gap before Collection 3 was because all the episodes issued on Collections 1 & 2 were originally released on video.They were then re-released as 8 individual DVD's before being collected into box sets .

As for the release in season sets in the UK.Highly unlikely as 'The Rifleman' was never shown on national TV here in its heyday. Some episodes eventually were screened years later, regionally or on satellite usually in a dead slot.I doubt anyone here would no of its existence unless they were an old classic telly buff.

I know Honey West, Burke's Law & Big Valley, all 4 Star shows, have been released here but at one stage or other they all played on TV & may be better remembered than the 'Rifleman.' Mind you, I have not seen these sets for sale in any DVD store or supermarket to date, even the larger HMV.Unless you shop online you wouldn't know they exist.

Duane, I think you may have to compromise or do without on half season or random sets as it appears that's the way things are going.There are few enough releases of classic TV lately to be pernickity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks