no more 2.0 mixes?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Franklin, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Franklin

Franklin Agent

it seems to me that most recent DVD releases no longer offer a standard 2.0 audio mix and plays in 5.1 by default. this is fine when i'm watching discs on my setup, but more often than not im watching a flick on a friend's or the family TV that uses only the basic setup. the sound is unbalanced and dialoge is hard to hear. if there isn't a 2.0 mix available on the disc, such as on the new Indy box, is there a way to get an even sound through a standard TV? thanks!

2. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I'm by no means an expert, but I think Dolby's website says that the 5.1 signal "downmixes" to stereo 2.0 signal when necessary.

I got this from the Dolby website:

7. Can I hear 5.1-channel Dolby Digital programs over a regular stereo or Dolby Surround Pro Logic system?

Yes. All Dolby Digital decoders, whether 5.1-channel or two-channel, have a unique feature called "downmixing" that assures full compatibility with any playback system. At your option, the decoder will create "on the fly" from 5.1-channel programs a two-channel, Dolby Surround-encoded mix for playback over a home theater system with Dolby Surround Pro Logic decoding; a two-channel stereo mix for regular stereo and headphone playback; or a mono mix for playback over a mono TV set. See Figure 7-1.

This makes it possible for producers of 5.1-channel programs to provide only the one 5.1-channel mix on the disc or other source. The decoder in the playback system does the rest, automatically conforming the signal to the particular playback circumstances. Note: downmixing is not used for laser discs because they contain three different soundtracks: stereo PCM for a conventional stereo or Dolby Surround mix; one FM track for a mono mix; and one FM track for a 5.1-channel Dolby Digital mix. Frequently these mixes are prepared at different times, even by different mixers, so can sound quite different from each other.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Franklin,

All DVD players offer a downconverted two-channel analog mix through the L/R RCA jacks. The analog jacks are active all the time; no menu option is required. This is not the same as a 2.0 option – that only goes out of the digital (coaxial or optical) output, so you can’t access it through a TV or basic Pro-Logic system anyway.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There are very few 2.0 mixes because it is very rare to see movies mixed this way anymore.