What's new

No love for Dr. Who (1 Viewer)

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit

According to various post by Steve Roberts the sales in the US are actually higher. I would guess this is simply because the DVD market is bigger here than in the UK. DW would be considered in the same cult status as Hammer films. Anchor Bay's releases of those sell in the 10000-15000 range, so I would expect the same thing of DW in the US.

I find the release rate here and in the UK perfectly acceptable. The offical BBC reason being that if more product was available the sales would be even lower.
The market for DW dvd's isn't very high and there's no need to flood it. Perhaps when the new series premieres this will change.

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
im a big doctor who fan and as much as i like season sets doctor who would not sell well like that.
plus the missing shows keep you from releaseing season sets as well. so i have to Absolutely agree with everyone on this one. plus the only way i would buy box sets is if they were made in order like the E-Space trilogy.
that worked out just fine. they made one mix box set but you can take them out of the box and still put them in order. ill sure be glad when they release " GENESIS OF THE DALEKS " on dvd. :D

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I, for one, am also happy with the way the releases are happening. I only wish they would come out faster. I do agree, however, that 'themed' story arcs (E-Time and Trial of a Time Lord, e.g.) need to be boxed.

I am kind of disappointed in the November offering (region 1) of the Lost in Time stuff. Personally, I'd much rather have the stories that are whole before delving into the partial ones....

Elvie

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have all the released titles and don't plan to. I've picked out the ones I wanted and left the others for my own reasons. However, would I like to see these come out a bit faster? Yes. Though I would not like to see that happen at the expense of the disc quality ... something that has happened with so many other titles (Highlander comes to mind, first release was horrid, later release was better). Boxed sets for longer story arcs, such as the "Key to Time" series currently out (and in my collection)would be great, but again only if the quality warrants the extra price.

Just my 2 cents ...

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Whereas I'm excited about it. It's a chance to see episodes I've never seen before, and provides me with a good motivation to really increase my purchases of the Missing Adventures audio releases so that I can watch the episodes in the context of the story as a whole
(Plus, I suspect the reason this box set is being released now is mainly to allow the release of the recently discovered Dalek Master Plan, episode 2).

But if you're not interested, don't buy it.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

The problem isnt so much "Dont buy it if you dont want it", but more that lt's bumped a set of complete stories off the release schedual. I could chose not to buy it, but then I get screwed out of any who from Ghostlight to Claws of Axos (or whatever disc is in the January slot).

No, we would have been better served by having The Beginnings released like was originaly rumored.

That being said, I will still buy it. I am looking foward to the set - it's DAMN sweet - but I would have prefered to have a set of complete stories.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
I basically agree with you Tony. Though I think it will be a nice release, it's kind of baffling why this would take precedant over any, let alone most, complete stories. I think, as was said, it is all about the newly found episode. But why would anyone but the hardcore fan care. They wouldn't even know it was missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks