What's new

No "Jesus of Nazareth" in US this Easter (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mine finally arrived yesterday.

By reading my post on the previous page when I ordered it, I am estimating it

took 4 weeks to arrive.

Looking forward to taking a peek at it today.

Does it have the presumably removed line by Jesus that says something like,

"didn't you think you would find me in my father's house?"

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
i'm going to buy another one as an easter gift for a friend. the price has gone up to $31 USD. worth every penny tho!

and i just gave away my dvd edition to a friend at work.

i am so thankful that i don't have to depend on that horrible-looking, 15 year old videotape - dupe - transfer-

to view this artistic masterpiece

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I finally received this yesterday, a day or two shy of one month since I ordered it. I threw it on to check the missing scenes of
Judas Iscariot's betrayal
and was pleased to see they were re-instated. Other than the restored footage, it looks like the same transfer as the Mexican BD. Not great, but much better than the DVD. I think the wife and I will watch it over 4 successive nights this Lenten season.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Kevin L McCorry said:
Border inspection backlog, I would guess (and these days, it probably includes all mail, including letters). Most of my mail from the U.S. takes about two weeks as well.
Then you should be paying extra for Amazon's 2-day shipping, which would get it to you by courier.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Jesus of Nazareth was an amazing mini series. I have it on my buy list as well as few other mini series. I am glad that I grew up in an era that got to see the mini series during their first run!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Mike Frezon said:
Ditto again.

I'm in, too.

While the product page on Amazon Spain clearly says Region B only (as does the back cover shot), after I made the purchase, the blurb at the top of the "Gracias" page said it was Region A/B/C.

Ordered on January 23, they estimate delivery to be between February 9 - 11.

It was $28.58 US dollars. 14.85 (Euro) + 9.41 (Euro) shipping = $28.58 (USD).

Just ordered mine:

Prices were (in EUR): 18,98 (Blu-ray) + 9,41 (Shipping) = 28,39 (EUR)

which translates to $30.95 (USD)

Delivery scheduled for 04/4/2015 by US Postal Service. Will let you known when it arrives.

My experience with Amazon.uk has been GREAT so far, so I hope with Spain is the same. I ordered the 3D Blu-ray versions of FROZEN and MALEFICENT (Region Free) through them since Disney opted not to release them in the US market.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Raul:

My actual timeline was:

Ordered: January 23

Estimated Delivery: February 9-11

Actual Delivery: February 17

The couple of things I have ordered from amazon.uk got here more quickly. But I still thought that was pretty good service. :biggrin:

Good luck!

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
ee-gad!!

i just received my second blu of JON from amazon spain, and it is the older, uncorrected version with the missing scenes!

with it taking over a month to arrive, i almost gave MY copy to my friend for easter--- glad i didn't!!

the corrected disc has, on the back cover, the credit-

'copyright' 2012 FILMAX HOME VIDEO. V2.0.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
marcco00 said:
ee-gad!!

i just received my second blu of JON from amazon spain, and it is the older, uncorrected version with the missing scenes!

with it taking over a month to arrive, i almost gave MY copy to my friend for easter--- glad i didn't!!

the corrected disc has, on the back cover, the credit-

'copyright' 2012 FILMAX HOME VIDEO. V2.0.

Sorry to learn that, Marc.

I have to check my copy to see if that blurb is on the back cover

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
thanx Ron!

my friend's a good man who has been very helpful to me this year.

like many people i know, he has a standard dvd player hooked up to his new HDTV.

i'm giving him one of my old blu ray players, a HDMI cable, and various wide-screen

religious films on blu ray (amazon has some good sales on these)

plus this disc from spain. i'm pretty sure he will be so busy he won't miss these scenes!

luckily my original set is the corrected version.

so this is a head's up for members who just purchased this to be on the lookout!

if both versions are still in stock at amazon spain, what to do?

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I can't believe the trouble everyone here has been having getting "Jesus of Nazareth" on dvd -- here in Australia, one can't walk off a street curb and not trip over a copy of this two disc set -- it is everywhere and for a two disc set, unbelievably cheap (I've seen this set go lately for between AU$5 - $10)

It was released here first as a 4 hour theatrical movie for Easter 1978 and the mini series finally made here as one of the big television events of the 1980 season. It has also be re-rated from the original G rating to its current M rating (mature audiences) -- frankly I think this was the dvd distributor trying to make it more marketable in the wake of the MA rated "Passion of the Christ" -- should still be rated G in my opinion....

Frankly, I'm flabbergasted that this has not come out on bluray in 2015 -- would it kill those handling the ITC catalog to bring this out in high def?

This was the crown jewel in Sir Lew Grade's ITC library and would bet that there is cargo loads of electronic press kit material on this mini series as well as the theatrical version (trailers, pressbooks, lobbycards), movie tie-ins (a book by Anthony Burgess I can remember reading as a kid when this movie came out, have that as an extra for any future boxset)

One of the main reasons to bring this out soon is for Franco Zefferelli, now in his 90s and quite frail. He was in the recent documentary on Cannon Films "Electric Boogaloo", saying that his version of "Otello" was the best thing he ever did -- but am certain he has also a very high opinion of this project and it would be essential to have him on board for any kind of restoration (the mini series and the theatrical version perhaps?)

Also as it played theatrically here (and can remember it even playing at drive-ins, with no supporting feature), one would assume that one can restore this to a widescreen 16x9 format and would be perfect for bluray and high definition tv broasdcasts -- how many 1970s mini series can send out these days in that state?

When seeing it in cinemas in 1978, I was disappointed by the aspect ratio -- I was used to biblical epics being in 70mm and nothing less -- this one was somewhat 'normal' -- but it wasn't projected in 4:3 Academy ratio, so whoever (or whatever) owns the rights to this great work, go for it. (Try playing it on your widescreen tvs with the zoom on and see how you go)

Can remember it looking a little on the soft side, whether it be the heat on location or whatever -- whoever went at it would have to give it a thorough clean and give the image some boosting or remastering. Sadly this was the era before stereo became commonplace but a stereo remix on this certainly would be appreciated, if possible.

I don't know if they're holding out for its 40th anniversary, but at least they were filming this 40 years ago -- it deserves the full treatment as a boxset or special edition -- but it's just waiting there for a wise studio (maybe 3 wise studios) to pick up....

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I don't believe it was shot in widescreen ratio. I would certainly like to see it remastered and given the best possible treatment, but unless we'd be seeing more on the sides than what we saw when first broadcast I wouldn't be in favor of seeing it in anything but what I presume had to have been its original aspect ratio.

I don't recall Burgess writing a movie-tie-in specifically, but William Barclay, who was a well-known minister and Biblical scholar did do a narrative adaptation of the Burgess miniseries script with photo illustrations from the production. Zeffirelli also wrote his own account of the production which revealed his difficulty in coming up with a key post-Resurrection sequence.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
If you've seen the news item this week about Cate Blanchett showing impatience with an interviewer's stupid questions, there's a similar story once told to me by Robert Powell about when he was on a publicity tour for JESUS OF NAZARETH in Australia.

He was on a live programme with a young female presenter whose agenda was religious rather than concerned with the production. She asked, very seriously and at great length, exactly how spiritually stirred Robert had been by the experience.

Robert replied that whilst he had the utmost respect for his responsibility he wasn't a religious person and had tried to play the part as sincerely as he could.

She repeated the question: 'But surely Robert .........'

He repeated his answer.

She tried again: 'Yes, but Robert, SURELY ..........

He finally told her that he'd answered the question several times and wondered whether she had any others unrelated to his personal non-existent religious beliefs but instead related to the production at hand.

She collapsed in tears and the programme was terminated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks