What's new

No "Jesus of Nazareth" in US this Easter (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
Ron, I've always wondered why they left the shot of Powell's eyelid twitching in that scene. I guess they didn't see it? Hard to believe...
I wasn't certain if I was the only one who caught that.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Will this great mini series make it to Blu-ray this Easter. The movie Son Of God opens Friday. I plan to go see it. I would just like to add the mini series to my collection.Lent begins next Wednesday. Like it or not I always watch the Passion and then movie on toward Easter with my all time favorite list.Quo VadisThe RobeSong of BernadetteDemetrius and the GladiatorsKing of King both silent and the color epicGreatest Story Ever ToldBen HurTen CommandmentsSalomethe new BD of S&Dthere are many more but I will be watching them allI wish TCM would release The Big FishermanI also wish TT could give us Id Climb the Highest Mountain. I only have my Vhs copy but worth picking up for any movie fan.I did not buy the Bible last year. I am thinking of doing it but there edits on the Blu-ray. I hate when they edit the broadcasts.I ask members here if it is worth the purchase?

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Mark, last I heard THE BIG FISHERMAN was controlled by Disney, so who knows what will happen to it. They don't seem very interested in anything old unless it's animated. TCM has shown it twice now, but both times painfully panned and scanned, which renders it unwatchable.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Glen thank you for telling me about the Fisherman. I had no idea.Jesus of Nazareth is a classic and should get a release and perhaps it will with the new movie coming out tomorrow. The Bible is what I still wonder about. I have a big movie collection for this time of year.The Passion I know a great many hate. I watch it each year on Ash Wednesday because that is when I first saw it in a packed theater with a stranger next to me who told me a wonderful story about his beliefs as we waited for the film. I never saw him again but what a wonderful memory it was.The Robe has several viewings during lent. I love that film.Quo Vadis the same way multiple viewings all during Lent.I forgot to mention on my list.David and Bathsheba please blu-rayThe Story of Ruth please blu-rayThe Silver ChaliceSolomon and ShebaThe ProdigalThe Cardinal please blu-rayOne Foot In Heaven recorded off TVSaint Francis recorded off of FoxSign Of The CrossJesus Christ Superstar now in BDI bet that I do buy the Bible mini series this year edits and all

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I would love "Jesus of Nazareth" in its extended 1979 four-part version (same as on dvd, but with all of the openings, teasers, recaps, and end credits intact.) It would be great to see some of the deleted scenes as well, if they still exist. I hope the two scenes that were cut for the international blu-ray releases were put back into the film as well. Interviews with Robert Powell, Olivia Hussey, and other surviving cast members as well as the director would be fantastic. Perhaps some network promos. This film is a masterpiece and transcends its television roots.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I always try and buy a new movie for Lent. I hope in the near future this wonderful mini series will get that US release. I sure hope the SON OF GOD movie will help get this one out.I bought the Bible and the John Huston movie and with all my others I am well set for a Lent movie festival.Thanks again Glen for the heads up on Fisherman. I will have to record that one when it plays next on TCM.I hate P&S but just to have it in my library I will record it. I am surprise TCM presented it that way.Do not forgetSamson & Delilah [Blu-ray] (1949) coming early March

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I would have loved to see this series on the big screen such as the SON OF GOd from the Bible series. What all of us really want is a beautiful restoration with extras in Blu-ray.Those in the power to make this happen I hope you read this.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
i whole-heartedly agree.

i see that 'the jesus film' with brian deacon is being released on blu ray this easter season.

however, for me 'jesus of nazareth' is the best cinematic vision of christ's story. moving score, perfect cast, perfect script, perfect direction.

it deserves a first- rate restoration.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Criterion King of Kings by CB DeMille would also be nice in blu-ray. MGM King of Kings was the film I grew up with on TV. Must watch for me and now though I know the film was hated by critics and the restoration on blu-ray was also hated I still love Greatest Story Ever Told.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I was lucky enough to see SON OF GOD yesterday with I am pleased to say a packed house. I will buy the film of course but I am a softy for those Hollywood epics from the 50s and 60s. The best gifts I received were seeing the seniors there and the one comment I received when I left the theater. I was asked by a young person working for the theater what I thought of the movie. I told her the film was worth seeing.

I went straight home and watched the Robe and the Robe 2 as I call it.

Jesus of Nazareth was on my mind and this must be released on bluray!! I was told by a friend from my church that Walmart is selling it for under 10 bucks.

I am so glad that I took the time to see this movie. Why?? The people I viewed the film with and being asked what I thought of the movie after viewing it. I cannot describe how touched I was.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Mark Collins said:
I was lucky enough to see SON OF GOD yesterday with I am pleased to say a packed house. I will buy the film of course but I am a softy for those Hollywood epics from the 50s and 60s.
I, too, like those 20s-60s Biblical epics from Hollywood, both the good and bad ones, as well as a handful of "modern" productions. Reviews I've read of Son of God paint it being essentially a edited down version of the segments on Jesus from the TV mini-series The Bible. Essentially a "director's cut" from the mini-series that includes scenes cut from the mini-series. Have you seen The Bible mini-series? If so, are those reviews accurate in that aspect? I had some major issues with the mini-series and gave up on it before the New Testament portion began. Because of those issues I'm not sure I'd want to spend time with this film if it's a rehash of portions of that production.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I cannot answer the question for I only saw certain portions of the mini series. I have heard and read what you have stated however.

I chose to go and see the film even after what I just said. Please do not take that to state that I think everyone should see the film.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Since Shout and ITV have teamed up then perhaps we can see a release of "Jesus of Nazareth"

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thanks for the heads up on the 1979 Blu-ray the Jesus movie a Amazon. I also liked the reviews on The Gospel of John but will wait to see if a Blu-ray comes out. I am pretty maxed out this year on what I have spent on my Lent movies.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
moviebuff75 said:
Not sure, but I just bought the blu-ray from Spain.....sick of waiting for a U.S. release.

Eric,

Could you provide the source of purchase?

I will probably import this as well. I am also sick of waiting for Lionsgate

to put this out.

Hard to believe that we are still waiting for this title.

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks