What's new

No idea what I'm doing. Need help (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Lunchbox824 said:
Ok, so I could purchase the soundbar, the 3 ceiling speakers and the 2 outdoor speakers and they would all be able to run through that receiver?
For simplicity sake, include that SS4 speaker switch.

But yes.

And you'll need "however many feet" of "this"...
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-102821-250-Feet-2-Conductor-Speaker/dp/B001WHZ9K6/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1396155067&sr=1-6&keywords=14awg+cl+speaker

To make the "single source stereo" runs easy...
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-250ft-4-Conductor-Speaker-Installation/dp/B003L138RC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1396155115&sr=1-1&keywords=16%2F4+cl+rated

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Lunchbox824 said:
Single source stereo being the sound bar?
The single source stereo are the 3 in-ceiling...

the sound bar is the LCR with the TV.

Edit:
Technically...everything in the room will be "single source stereo"...but the terminology is different

Real Name
Rick
Well I could never do this myself, my hands don't work well (burns). I was going to have my general contractor do it, but maybe not now. Maybe I'll just have him put the speakers in and run all of the wires and such then get someone that knows what they're doing up here.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, you should have the contractor and that "other person" there at the same time.

Explain the goal this way...

"The LCR bar goes with the TV. I am mounting the surround as 3 single source stereo in-ceiling there, there and there(of course...point) and running those off a speaker switch"

IF the contractor/installer doesn't understand that, they need a new career path.

Real Name
Rick
Got it. I even understand that.

The speaker wire you showed me... I need a roll of each? The one with 4 wires goes to the single source stereo and the other to the LCR and outside? And about that sub, yes, no? And if I do need one I need a wireless one.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes...roll of each...and yes you got which goes with which, correct. (if you end up with extra...save it for the theatre).

I forgot the sub...(the rest took some brain power)...

Want it in the wall?
Sitting on the floor? (and yes this choice needs it wireless)
Ceiling? (yes it can go up there...)

Real Name
Rick
And by the way... thanks for dealing with my dumb *** and taking the time. I almost have everything I need. You're going to have a blast when I go all out in the home theater.

Real Name
Rick
Hmmm. Ceiling sounds awesome... but I don't need it killing my floor (and the people) upstairs. So probably on the floor would be best.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well. Your installer person, let them show you subs.In-ceiling isn't problematic as it sounds.Look up(changed to phone so no more links) Dynil En-WallAsk the installer if they can build you..."Sorta IB subwoofer in the walls or ceiling"The installer should know what IB means.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And location of the sub will have little to no bearing on its effect on neighboring rooms. That is what the En-Wall is for...and incorporated into the wall or ceiling...it will be easier to design it not to bother other rooms...as much.Otherwise, HSU makes a nice wireless one.

Real Name
Rick
Just wondering what the purpose is of the wire with 4 conductors for the ceiling speakers? And how you actually connect them with the speakers and the receiver.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The speakers I linked that go in the ceiling(the Atlantic Tech and the AudioSource) are SINGLE SOURCE STEREO.

Meaning, it, all by itself, is a stereo speaker. Left and right.

Hence...4 wires. 2 left channel. 2 right channel.

The AudioSource
http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AC6CD--Ceiling-Speaker-Single/dp/B003HKN9QM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1396155360&sr=1-1&keywords=single%20source%20in-ceiling&tag=viglink123527-20

Notice the two tweeters...

Think, like the old days...

You would have two satellite speakers connected to a sub. Same thing...just smaller.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I like how you integrated the speaker selector into this plan. I hadn't seen one quite like the one you recommended Schan. I wasn't thinking single source stereo either...interesting way to set this project up. I'm learning something everyday coming to this site...good stuff.

Real Name
Rick
Maybe my last question.... but probably not. So it's a 7.2 receiver, but there are 8 speakers. The LCR is hooked up in the LCR connections. There are 2 connections that are labeled surround and I know that's where the ceiling speakers get connected, but there are 3 ceiling speakers and from those speakers there with be 12 wires. Then the zone B speakers are the 2 outdoor speakers.

So I guess my question is how do I hook up 3 ceiling speakers with 12 wires to 4 (positive and negative) connections? I'm not sure if this is somehow affected by using the speaker selector I bought.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks