What's new

No Audio after installing Windows XP... please help (1 Viewer)

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
It's actually a very odd problem.
I did a clean install of Windows XP Professional on my Dell Dimension XPS T450 (yeah I know, kind old there Bri) and I even got the start up sound and the groovy Enigma song while configuring the new XP install.
After all looked and seemed fine I thought I'd start up Windows Media Player and tryied to play one of those sample songs they usually can now-a-days with the media players.
To my dismay, there was no sound coming from my speakers.
Now mind you, I was hearing sounds and music from my speakers 10 minutes prior so I was confused. I checked to make sure the cable was in the audio out, which it was, still no sound. I disconnected my external speakers and listened for the computer's internal speaker and still no sound. I also tried audio cds and some of the sound themes under the control panel, still no sound.:angry:
So after reformatting the HD and reinstalling XP 2 other times, I still cannot hear any sound or music coming from any computer speakers internal or external.
The audio card is an intergrated Yamaha XG 64 Wavetable Sound 724 DS-1 chip set. I did find and downloaded an XP driver off of Yamaha's support site but the updated driver is not working. Last night I updated the Flash BIOS to the most recent version (A11) and Dell will not be supporting anything past that.
You can find some more information about my computer at
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dkub/
I don't know what I'm missing but if anyone can offer any assistance I'd appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
Brian

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Well first off that sound chip sucks, we have several of them here at work and well they don't work. Why not go out and buy something like a Hercules Maxi Sound Fortissimo or something similar, hell why not a Sound Blaster Audigy.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
I agree Kelley. It is a crappy card.

I don't know about the rest of the Yamaha sound cards but most likely I'll stay away from ever purchasing one again.

Actually a buddy at work said he might have a Sound Blaster card at home he would sell to me cheap, so I might just end up doing that. I'm assuming the best way to disable the integrated sound card is to disable in the BIOS and uninstall any drivers.

I just was trying to get this card working if I could.

Thanks,

Brian

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
thats right go into BIOS and disable it. Although some mobos have a jumper to disable the onboard sound. If you can't figure either of those out just disable it in Windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks