What's new

Nintendos Losing Battle... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
As far as the major media outlets are concerned, it's now Sony and Microsoft in the game market, with Nintendo not even being a factor, unless it's a gameboy mention...

As much as I love Nintendo, I have to say that I'm really disapointed with some of their major decisions to boost PR and presence...

While it has not confirmed it that I'm aware of, the Resolution will not support HD Resolution, and if memory serves, will only play DVD's with a purchased add on. This is the option their competitors had a few years ago...

The only thing inovative that they are doing this time around is to offer a backward compatability of sorts with ALL their past consoles via downloadable games... But will that be enough?

What do you think?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

If you think that's the only innovative thing about the Revolution, and not its controller, you haven't been paying enough attention.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While Nintendo may be losing a bit of ground in certain areas of the console market they certainly are not losing the battle as far as handhelds are concerned. The DS was so big a hit this past holiday season that they were flying off the shelves and as I understand it in Japan they can't make them fast enough. The DS software has reached new levels of innovation and some titles like "Nintendogs" have almost achieved cult status.

And while Nintendo's game plan for HD may still be a bit sketchy at this point I wouldn't completely rule out the Revolution as a viable contender when all is said and done. True, the graphics may be more sophisticated on Sony and MS offerings, but let's see how the games themselves play. Sizzle may sell the steak, but if it doesn't taste good then people may just settle for great tasting hamburger instead.

:laugh:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo and Microsoft both realize something that Sony isn't quite hip to yet: some people like simple games, the kind that soccer moms play during the day on Yahoo or MSN. Microsoft is making an attempt to bring something like these to market through the Live Marketplace, but that requires purchasing a $300+ console and setting everything up. The Revolution is offering a simpler way to interface with the games (using the remote control instead of a traditional-style controller) and a way to play all of the games from their back catalog for a, what one can assume to be, significantly cheaper price.

The reasoning behind the Marketplace was to offer non-gamers something they might be interested in. The flaw in that way of thinking is that the interface (controller and software) is what stands in the way more of this becoming successful. Nintendo's method of using a simple to use control method combined with an attractive instantly-available back catalog is superior.

The thinking behind Nintendo's current strategy, both with the DS and the Revolution, is to use cheap and simple hardware to create new gaming experiences for hardcore gamers and attract new ones at the same time. Soccer moms don't play Halo, so they won't want to spend $300 on an XBox 360 just to download Bejeweled. However, they might not mind spending $200 to play all the games they grew up with.

Also, just out of curiosity, how much does the DS cost to manufacture? When you think about it, sure it's less powerful than the PSP, but it has two LCD screens, both backlit and one is a touch screen, all for less than $150. I'm betting that Nintendo's strategy for the Revolution will work because it already has for the DS.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Say what you will about Nintendo, they've continually been able to make a profit, as opposed to MS and Sony, who are both continuing to lose money due to their expensive hardware. I will say that the Revolution has gotten me more excited about the possibilities of gaming than the PS3 and the 360 (even though I own it).

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I love my GameCube and the DS has quickly become one of my favorite systems of all-time (next to the N64)...

I'm really looking forward to the Revolution and I am confident that it will be able to compete with both the PS3 and the X360 graphically - despite it's lack of HD output.

MikeAB

Grip
I really am happy with the direction that Nintendo is going. I was getting pretty disinterested in gaming due to the same games being released every year just with slightly improved graphics. I hadn't owned a handheld since the original gameboy, but the great, innovative, different games on the DS convinced me to buy one and I have thoroughly enjoyed my DS. With the revolution and its controller, I see a console that can provide a completely new gaming experience than I've had before.

The lower price, compared to the other consoles, should allow the Revolution to sell really well. It should appeal to people like me, gamers who are looking for that new gaming experience, but it will also be cheap enough for gamers to have as a second console and for the soccer mom/non-gamers. While this board is full of videophiles, so it isn't surprising that HD would be a very important feature for next-gen consoles for people here, for people without an HDTV, the differences between the XBOX and the 360 graphically isn't huge. Since Nintendo isn't really targetting the videophile, first-adopter audience, it makes sense to cut the HD to produce a cheaper console.

I'm always amazed the intuitiveness of the DS and its games. Whenever I hand my DS to a non-gamer or someone who hasn't touched a DS before, they are always able to quickly pick up the controls and really enjoy it. However, in the end, it all comes down to if the games are good, and since not much is known about the games for the Revolution yet, a lot is still up in the air. Great games have allowed the DS to be the hit that it is and outsell the PSP. If the games are there for the Revolution, the system will sell well.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I hardly consider Nintendo to be "Losing" anything. Nintendo has always taken a different approach to gaming, and even by their own admission they are really not trying to compete with the other two. They market differently, they have different audiences, and It's my opinion that they are trying to advance gaming as an industry, not as a competing force. Frankly it's the only next gen console that I'm really interested in, especially since Nintendo is the only company who can put out games that hold my attention anymore.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I've switched from Nintendo to the XBox 360 because I am confident more games will come out for it than Nintendo.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I would gladly pay $200+ for the Revolution if it's only feature was the ability to download and play a nice sized selection of Nintendo and Super Nintendo games. Everything else is icing.

JamesED

Second Unit
I think Nintendo is on the right path. Have you ever tried to introduce a game to a girlfriend, parent, or non-gaming friend? I never realized how complicated and intimidating controls are, until I have to try to explain them.

My DS and Micro have been a big hit this holiday season, and several friends have either gone out and picked up a gamboy or DS. They are just so easy to pick up and start playing.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i stopped taking the post seriously right there.

even if they dont sell as many units as xbox360 or ps3, nintendo will be just fine. they could hardly do worse than xbox360 in japan, which may as well not exist there. the revolution will be one of the most innovative consoles we've seen from anyone, and it will be considerably cheaper than its competition.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks