Nintendo survey for GBA Classic NES Series

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Daniel Kikin, Jun 18, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

There's a survey up at Nintendo's website for the next wave of releases of the Classic NES Series on GBA. Pretty much every NES game ever released is on the survey at some point. I want my Tecmo Super Bowl!

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I want them to cost less than $20!

3. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

If they released Tecmo Superbowl I would buy a gameboy SP right now.

4. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I put in for Contra, Super C, Ninja Gaiden, and Blades of Steel.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Poll's down. [​IMG] Too many to list! I'd like Bad Dudes, Double Dragon 2 & 3, Battletoads, and Bionic Commando on top of what Perry posted.

6. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I'd really like to see these as compilations too, but we'll see how the first wave sells. Persinally I'd like to see all 3 Adventures of Lolo games on one cart (great puzzle games), but I really doubt that'll happen anytime...well, ever really.

For those looking for some good old school fun though, IGN has their review of the Mega Man Anniversary Collection up. This one is a definite buy for me.

7. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

[rant]:

I'd have no problem with decent compilation versions of these classic NES games, but $20 retail for games like Ice Climber? And Excitebike, which can be had free with bargain-bin games like the N64 version of Excitebike? And others which already come free with Animal Crossing? With no real extras? When great arcade compilation packages are going for comparable prices, something is wrong. What would people say if a (comparably impressive) game like the arcade Galaxian had been released, bare-bones, for $20? There'd be an uproar.

Even the original Super Mario Bros. for GBC had some extra levels included. Am I the only person who thinks this whole series (great for 8-bit nostalgia as it is) aims to blind us with with said-nostalgia? I'd be hard-pressed even at $10 to recognize the value of this series.

[/end rant],

s

8. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

I agree Steve, it's an enormous rip-off. $20 each for a simple port job of nearly 20 year old games is ridiculous. The GBA carts are big enough that the entire collection could have easily fit on one cart, and Nintendo could have even charged $40 for it, and I would have likely picked it up. But for $20 each, the hell with the entire thing. Shame they didn't do a Super Mario All Stars with it. I mean, even the Mario Advance titles, while not pushing GBA carts to the max, all had value-added material, from extra challenges to extra levels. This is just a rush job hacked together.

9. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    I don't have a GBA or a Gameboy player for my Gamecube but I would pay $20 per title for a select few classic NES games. I agree that Nintendo would probably make more money with a compilation but they're probably saving that for their next console. It took damn near 20 years to get Intellivision Lives so I'm not going to complain if I have to wait a bit longer to get 20 NES titles on one disc.

10. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

There are games in the Intellivision Lives! collection which were either released within months of a few of these NES classics games (Intellivision development lasted much longer than its "official lifespan") or at least within a few years. Some are better, some are worse, but this is my main point: that comparable or better games than Excitebike are regularly being offered as part of multi-game collections. It has been the market up to this point.

Even the arcade version of Donkey Kong came free with DK64 (one whole platform ago, $10 in bargain bins), whereas the 8-bit version (with inferior graphics and one fewer level) is now $20? (I need not restate that no added value content is added) There really is no precedent for this except that Nintendo's games have a mythic aura surrounding their classics unrelated to the quality of the games themselves.

Nintendo knows this. Donkey Kong 3 has been offered as part of an e-card series for 99 cents at my local Best Buy for quite some time now (and others, some part of this new series, for not much more), and yet Nintendo is now hoping nostalgia and a good ad campaign will ramp the price up by $19.

Don't get me wrong... Nintendo makes some of my favorite software. I think that a few NES games are better, in gameplay certainly, than some arcade games released at the same time. And even as collections of six or five or even four, these would be neat little bundles. You'd have a flagship title (Zelda or S.M.B.) and then three or four lesser titles (Urban Champion, Clu-Clu Land, etc.)

Any economist will tell you that this price point is OK if the market will bear it. Fair enough. But I would suggest revisiting these games again before you shell out the cash. They may not be what you remember.

~s

11. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I'm glad I wasn't completely insane. Many of these "NES Classics" titles are now available brand-new for $9.99 at many locations. This is more reasonable than $19.99, and I'm less likely to rant about this, but I still think compilations would have been the better way to go.

12. Scott L

Scott L Producer

hey that's awesome. This totally slipped my mind, thanks for the heads up. [​IMG]

13. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

I guess with Revolution coming up and one being able to download all of these a price drop makes sense.