What's new

Nintendo plans new game product (1 Viewer)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Jeff,

I totally disagree, having 3 consoles this time around has been nothing but good for the games consumer. Never in my life have there been so many good games released so quickly, and competition driving quality up and prices down has never been more obvious. Xbox launched what, 2 years ago and the price is almost 1/2 what it was at launch? GC is ready to go on fire sale for $99 and somehow you consider this as bad?

I own a PS2 and an Xbox, I don't have enough free time to work throught he backlog of great games they keep pumping out. I wouldn't mind playing some GC titles, but honestly I don't know how I could squeeze any more games in. One thing's for sure, I can't remember anytime since Xbox and GC launched that I haven't had more than enough AAA titles to keep me busy, that's a dramatic change from past console generations.

Greed is good, so is competition. If they can afford it, I would love for all 3 makers to continue on indefintely. It's been pure heaven for consumers...

Stephen_Ri

Stunt Coordinator
On average age of gamers, I'll note that 2 years ago I bought Lunar SSS, Grandia, and Wild Arms from a 70-something guy who "couldn't quite push the buttons right anymore." This proves nothing but is evidence that even older people play games on occasion. Of course, I seem to remember him saying something about developing for the Atari.....

Overall, I think the strong competition isn't good for gamers. 3 systems = a lot of money and to play them ideally, you'd need a component switchbox on top of that. As far as competition bringing prices down, thats only good for the hardware, its still $50 for a new game. I'd prefer the ps2 to get out of the picture and have it's top developers get on he Xbox or GC, but that'll never happen. Which am I playing, you might wonder? My DC through VGA, and Saturn imports. I have as much fun as anyone and pay much less. PC too, for playing FPS and strategy games the way they were meant to be played.
Stephen

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I believe that the third partydevelopment studios are overextended, and could benefit from less projects. I believe that you have to own all 3 systems to have all the AAA titles, and frankly, there aren't enough of them on any one system on a regular basis to keep going.

3 systems also have meant that the dominant (sony) gets stronger, while the other 2 scrap for the other 40% of the market, neither one doing that great. WIth 2 systems, it's more of an even match

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Not making the drive able to use DVD's was insanity. What the hell were they thinking? So many people bought the PS2 to do double duty as a DVD player. They really shot themselves in the foot on that one.
I seriously feel that this was a very big push - lucky timing, right when DVD was becoming big. We had our PS2 very early, and it was mainly my g/f wanting a DVD player and a game machine. The only PS2 game I had for over a year was Tekken Tag (though it did see a lot of use as a PS1 during that time period). It saw oodles of use as a DVD player (up until early this year, in fact). I think that it is pretty clear that Sony will try to repeat this with Blu-ray and the PS3 - except that they will be pushing their own format (blu-ray HD-'Dvd') and discs.

PS2 - great game machine, and, oh, it plays DVDs. Playstation 3, and oh yeah, it plays Blu-ray HD disks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks