What's new

Nintendo Outsells Competition (1 Viewer)

Gary King

Second Unit
Flextronics said that they would be able to provide 800K Xboxes on launch day.

Bill Gates said 400K were shipped to retailers for launch.

My guess is that quite a few of the Xboxes in the quick subsequent shipments (some stores received their second shipment of Xboxes on launch day) were from the 400K units that were produced but not shipped.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Morgan,

Here's a fact: you don't know anything. You don't have any numbers. ZERO. You can't peek into Microsoft or Nintendo's sales records. How do YOU know how much of a demand there is? Because you see more XBox's on a shelf at local WalMart? Please STOP THIS. This is not Usenet for Christ's sake.

And yes, we all have great toys. This is why I'm platform agnostic, but I won't sit around while someone bad-mouths the XBox and has nothing to back it up with except for local-area anectodes.

Mike

Steve Clark

Second Unit
Around here, you'll be lucky to find either.
Nothing else needs said, however I will go on.

Demand – a seeking of or state of being sought after; a willingness to purchase a commodity; the quantity of a commodity wanted at a specified time; a level of desire or need that exists for a particular good. Based on the sales figures reported by Nintendo, I do not see how your claim that the GC demand exceeds the XBox demand meets any of the definitions of demand. All we know from the definition is that it appears that demand for each particular console is outstripping supply. Morgan, if you can produce just one neat little chart that proves that there is currently more demand for the GC than the XBox I will personally buy you an XBox.

Morgan, you make the point of how in your market there seems to be XBox on the shelves all the time whereas GCs are never found. Yet of course your dad just happened to stumble on a GC for you. How convenient. After two weeks, I have yet to see one XBox on any shelf in Wal-Mart, Target, Kmart, BB or CC in my market. However I have seen Gamecubes. Yet I will make no outrageous claims about the current demand for either product. If you read all the threads in this forum, and based on your number of posts I know that you do, you know that for every post claiming “No Gamecubes found anywhere” there are two XBox posts claiming the same thing and vice versa. Many members have speculated that it seems to be regional thing as far as availablility and it also seems to be random luck as to the timing of when you enter the store, i.e. just happen to walk in shortly after a new delivery was put on the shelves.

Statistics are for losers. It is too early in the life of the consoles and not enough figures have been reported to even speculate as to whether there is more demand for one console over the other. Here are a couple of examples of statistics. For discussion purposes,if the GC sold 560,000 units and the XBox sold 400,000 units during the 1st week, Microsoft could claim that the XBox outsold the GC. How? Because based on total sales in dollars, it did because the XBox sells for $299 and the GC sells for $199. Goldman Sachs randomly surveyed 49 retailers last recently and found out that 41 were sold out of XBox and 28 were sold out of GC. One could say that based on this sample, there appears to be more demand for the XBox, but it would be wrong to make this claim because it is likely that the stores on average had a higher supply of GC. Another example for discussion purposes would be if MS sold 90% of its units shipped the 1st week and GC sold 80% of its units shipped, one might claim that there was more demand for the XBox, but once again that would be wrong because Nintendo was able to produce a significantly higher amount of units.

Morgan, it is because of repeated posts like the one I quoted above that you should IMO be put on the "Ignore List" or ran out of this forum. No reason for one person to tarnish what I think has become an excellent forum. You have been warned by the forum administrator to quit coming up with posts that come across as inflammatory and/or that make claims that are easily refuted or not backed up by any credible facts. I honestly think you just can't help yourself.

Note: I meant to post this in the "Anyone seen X-Box's on the shelves anywhere today" thread, however it is relevant in this thread also so I will leave it.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I think Morgan is a good attribute to this forum, just not when it comes to XBox. I did a search on for Morgan's posts that contain the word XBox and going back to last summer, he has been railing against Microsoft. Morgan, I think for your sake and the sake of this forum, you need to put a moratorium on speaking about XBox. Wait till you get one dude, then tell us all about it. Until then... Ziiiiip it. Zip it! Ziiiip! Zip! Zi! Zz! (Austin Powers reference :) ) Anyway, I'm just giving you some advice, I think your posts about other topics are just fine.
My 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks