What's new

Nintendo drops Wii U $50 due to poor sales (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Morgan Jolley said:
What I mean is that sales of their hardware is based on their software being exclusive to their hardware. You buy a PlayStation OR Xbox to play, say, Metal Gear Solid V. But you buy a Wii U to play Mario, Zelda, etc. I'm not sure what the power of their hardware has to do with it.
It doesn't when you explain it that way. I tend to focus on the technical specs of a new piece of hardware when valuing it. Like you pointed out, Nintendo makes sure that most of their games are exclusive to their system, so the software does sell the hardware, even if it is beyond obsolete when it hits store shelves. Of course, the same would apply to any game system, even with the more up to date ones in terms of processing power. Of course, PC gamers would state that both the XBOX One and PS4 are obsolete pieces of hardware compared to a PC gaming rig. So, I guess it is all relative.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think you're missing the point, though. Should you buy only the best, newest, $10,000 TV every year or should you buy a modest $1000 TV every few years? Being the most technologically advanced doesn't necessarily equate to the best experience. What if the PS4 and XBO were just full of crap games, even if they're the most advanced consoles?

When you buy a Nintendo console, you are practically guaranteed awesome and extremely fun games that can only be found on that console. I love the PlayStation brand, but I'll openly admit that I found Uncharted 3 lacking (and that is a very big franchise for Sony), I think Killzone: Shadow Fall was generic (one of the premier 1st party launch titles on PS4), Knack was kind of bad, and the best PS4 game is also available on every platform (Assassin's Creed IV). Conversely, New Super Mario Bros. U, which was the premier 1st party Wii U launch title, was fantastic and can only be found on the Wii U.

If you do a comparison of the reviews of the Wii U launch games to the PS4 and XBO launch games, looking only at console exclusives, the Wii U has the better games. Sure, its not as powerful as the PS4 and XBO, but it makes up for that by having the best development house in the world working exclusively on it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think being a Nintendo owner is like being a TiVo owner: you've got this fantastic device, better than everything else out there, and you can't figure out why everyone else doesn't get it. :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
I think being a Nintendo owner is like being a TiVo owner: you've got this fantastic device, better than everything else out there, and you can't figure out why everyone else doesn't get it. :)
Because it isn't better than everything else out there on a purely technical basis. Games may be a different story; however, in my case, Nintendo's games have never really appealed. I will give them props for Zelda: ALBW though. That is a good game for 3DS.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Edwin-S said:
Because it isn't better than everything else out there on a purely technical basis. Games may be a different story; however, in my case, Nintendo's games have never really appealed. I will give them props for Zelda: ALBW though. That is a good game for 3DS.
As Morgan said, "purely technical basis" is not the entirety of a product. Because, as you noted, were that the whole buying decision, gamers would only buy $15,000 gaming PCs from Falcon Northwest and play the latest GPU-busting shooter from id Software.

swoosherst

Auditioning
Real Name
Jess
Purchased a wii when it first came out. The whole family friendly hype got me into it, but now it's just sitting idle.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm eager for Bayonetta 2, but I haven't played anything on the XBOX1 or PS4 that is even half as good as Super Mario 3D WiiU. It's NUTs good. It can be frustrating, fun, but it is also one of the prettiest looking games I've ever seen. The animation is unbelievably fluid, the story is fun and the artwork is like playing an expertly crafted painting. The farther I get into it, the more I appreciate the small changes and how much damn fun it is.

Outside of Tomb Raider:DE on PS4, it's the top game in our house, hands down

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
As a lifelong Nintendo guy (and video game enthusiast), I would love to get a Wii U- I just haven't found the games that I am dying to play for it. The Mario games look fun, but nothing drastically different from what was just on the Wii. Smash Bros looks fun, but again, not drastically different from the previous iterations. Is there anything coming out that I should know about?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Bryan - I totally understand your thought process, but by that logic you probably shouldn't buy any game console since the PS2 era because most games are basically the same. They are similar (2D platformer, group fighting game, etc.) but they're still very good and very fun.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
DaveF said:
That's one of the titles I would be interested in playing. It looks great, but there's a part of me that's thinking 'Why is Nintendo continuously going back to the side scrolling game?' At the end of the day if it's a good game, who cares?
Morgan Jolley said:
Bryan - I totally understand your thought process, but by that logic you probably shouldn't buy any game console since the PS2 era because most games are basically the same. They are similar (2D platformer, group fighting game, etc.) but they're still very good and very fun.
That's fair, and I suppose it's too early to pass too much judgement. Once a new Zelda comes out I will be all over it. I loved WindWaker, but the remake isn't enough to get me to pull the trigger. Hyrule Warriors looks fun, but nothing I'm jumping at...yet.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Target has a couple of nice promotions going on:

-Mario and Luigi games bundled for $299, plus a $50 gift card

-buy 2 get 1 free on video games

Is this worthy of pulling the trigger on?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Bryan Ri said:
Target has a couple of nice promotions going on:

-Mario and Luigi games bundled for $299, plus a $50 gift card

-buy 2 get 1 free on video games

Is this worthy of pulling the trigger on?
With Mario Kart 8 coming out next month, A Wiii U is absolutely in your best interest.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There will be enough value in a Wii U before it is completely dead. However, right now the appeal is mixed, depending on other platforms you own.

I would recommend it.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I pulled the trigger last night. I got the Mario and Luigi bundle (came with two games) and then used my $50 gift card to do buy 2 get one free on Mario 3D, Windwaker HD, and Nintendo Land.

It cost me roughly $360 for the system and 5 games. Not too bad.

Mike Ouellet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
MIke
I got one on release day. I was really pleased but I have to admit. It's hard for me to play this console over my ps4 when my time is limited.

The system and games are fun. Just hard to turn it on over my other stuff.

A shame really.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks