What's new

Nintendo drops Wii U $50 due to poor sales (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think I saw a rumor that the console would take discs but also have a slot for cartridges (or that there is an expansion slot on the bottom, like older consoles used to have, and there may be an add-on that could take cartridges). Maybe the portable games would work on the console with that port? The issue, I think, would be that the console can take higher res art than the portable and the portable can't store 25+ GB games, so you would need to scale up or down for whichever unit you're using. What Sony came up with for the PS Vita and PS3/4 works well, I think.

The things I saw quoted December simply because any earlier would be hard for them to imagine if being finished in time. Nintendo has been quick on this console so November is possible, I guess. Mid-November is where every major piece of hardware has launched before (more or less) so I could see them aiming for that Black Friday season. But it may be more rushed than usual.

The NX console controller isn't really a Wii U setup, though. The touch screen on the controller is, basically, optional. The games would be designed so they can use the screen but it won't be essential. That's kind of how most Wii U games ended up, anyway. And that's actually how most DS/3DS games turned out, too. The screen is rumored to be much smaller than the Wii U tablet so I don't think they'd want to really use it that way. Imagine something more like a PS4 controller but the touch pad is a screen.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I think sometime before Black Friday is a safe bet if they're releasing this in the West this year.

They will likely want to get the early adapter nuts that are camping and lining up for it out of the way and have time to at least replenish stock once for that big Christmas shopping day, if not a few times in order to satisfy the non-Christmas shoppers that weren't able to find one at launch so they're able to have stock on hand to sell to Christmas shoppers.

Lots of September and October launches in the past 20 years. I think both the Nintendo 64 and GameCube appeared in September here in the USA, for instance. And I well remember the PS2's October launch here and of course we can't forget 9/9/99.

And if it's the NX handheld instead of the console, they release them at even odd times rather than targeting the Fall. I was in high school when the GBA launched and I think it was right around finals time just before summer vacation when it appeared. But no way if they miss Black Friday and Christmas will it appear in December.

They'd wait until at least March of next year I bet if they miss that mark.

The NX console controller isn't really a Wii U setup, though. The touch screen on the controller is, basically, optional. The games would be designed so they can use the screen but it won't be essential.

Then why include it at all if it will be of little use?

If they want NX developers to put a touch screen to good use, they can't expect NX console players to have to take their eyes away from the action displayed on their television screen to a separate touch screen integrated into their controller while NX handheld players have the touch functions integrated right into the handheld's main display without even having to glance down to a secondary lower screen, DS/3DS style.

Nobody will be able to really take advantage of the touch functionality in either scenario since they're developing for two very different setups here, relegating it to the sidelines and leaving little justification for the added expense. And if it really is a PS4 slightly fancied up Dual Shock 4 style deal, I wish they'd look at how well that feature has worked out for Sony. It's basically ignored and rarely has been put to good use when it has been utilized.

If this is all true, I say kill the touch screen on the console controller and perhaps just keep it on the handheld for handheld exclusive casual mobile-fare that isn't ideal console material, like junk like Flappy Bird or whatever that popular shovelware release was called. Perhaps have a handheld exclusive section of their eShop for touch screen enabled releases.

Leave it behind completely for all cross-platform releases or if they insist on maintaining this lackluster feature into another generation of Nintendo handheld/console hardware, at least do it right rather than cripple it from day 1.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo 64 was September 26, 1996. Dreamcast was 9/9/99. PS2 was October 26th, 2000. I think everything else was November. GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4. It's been the go-to month for new consoles because of holiday shopping. The rumors are dealing with the system not being quite ready yet, so I doubt anything earlier than November.

Yeah, Nintendo releases their handhelds pretty much whenever. But the rumors say console this fall, handheld next spring.

The touchscreen, from what I've read, is for quick stuff like item management or using a mini-map. It probably won't be big enough to really do the off-TV stuff like the Wii U. But I also read you could use it for off-TV remote play though Nintendo hasn't given all of that info to developers yet. I don't think we'll see a stylus and big screen, probably something like a smaller PS Vita. I don't think the screen will be designed for real touch functions. Think about some DS games that used it for supplementary info or for quick access to stuff with taps. That's kind of how the PS4 touchpad works now (some games let you do different things by tapping or swiping in different spots). It's probably not going to be anything like Wii U or DS games that make full use of both screens. But...who knows?

Keep in mind that they're making a controller that doesn't have a screen, more like the Wii U Pro controller. Games supposedly need to work with either the screen one or the non-screen one. This may be a cost-saving maneuver, allowing gamers to pick what they buy and for how much. The touchscreen controller will probably be bundled with the system, so the added functionality would be worth developing. Plus, there's probably a good amount of phone/tablet integration coming, along with using the NX handheld as a controller.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The rumor from what I've since read also mentions a sensor bar of some sort. I wonder if the NX will retain support for Wiimotes?

Seems almost a waste if it's not backwards compatible given how poorly this controller choice has been supported by the Wii U. Very few retail Wii U releases take advantage of its unique capabilities that allowed for light gun style arcade shooters, superior control for Resident Evil 4 and the Metroid Prime franchise, etc. It's largely there just for backwards compatibility mode, 9 times out of 10.

Was glad to see motion control not be shoehorned in where it didn't belong since I wasn't much more of a fan of it than I was touch control, but I think it's unfortunate that at the same time its unique capabilities haven't been better utilized on the Wii U for games that actually would've benefited from it.

Of course the 3rd party situation didn't help matters much, but even Nintendo has been loath to really put it to use in big budget Wii U titles. It's basically an alternate option in various titles like Mario Kart 8 or fills out multiplayer rosters, with little actually built around its capabilities.

There's Wii Sports Club, but that was hardly a big budget AAA retail release...

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The only rumors I could find about a sensor bar are from the GfK survey back in January. A lot of the details of that survey seemed to not make sense, so I am highly skeptical any of that information is legit.

None of the rumors I've seen from "verified sources" say anything about a sensor bar. In fact, a couple of them say it won't even be backward compatible with Wii or Wii U. I'd guess that, at worst, we'll see those consoles pushed into the Virtual Console. At best, it will be backward compatible but no developers know about that yet.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Morgan, I saw a sensor bar mentioned when I was reading about this at a site like IGN or Eurogamer. I assume it's from the same source given how close the details were to what I had just read here a few hours earlier from you.

And of course a sensor bar doesn't mean that they will be supporting Wiimotes for the 3rd generation in a row, either. And even if they did, it doesn't imply backwards compatibility with software.

Edit: Doing a very quick search, it looks like a sensor bar was mentioned as part of the standard contents of a NX package in a survey earlier this year from some company named GFK that works with Nintendo in some capacity. So I assume that's likely why it was mentioned in what I read, if you didn't see it with this other stuff.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I even said in my last comment "from the GfK survey back in January." I haven't seen a single mention of a sensor bar since then from any leaks. It would have come up if developers were told about it.

It should be noted that the GfK survey also had some weird information, so I'm not necessarily buying the idea that everything in it was 100% true. I'm not even sure if the survey was actually linked to Nintendo or someone else that was trying to gauge interest in Nintendo products for some other reason.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The latest from the NX rumor mill has the console continuing the setup that the Wii U has with its controller containing a central touch screen display, but with the controller able to connect remotely to the console for portable gaming.

Intriguing idea, but I'm skeptical that the streaming technology and infrastructure is in place to make that a true replacement for a dedicated Nintendo portable.

There are also reports that Luigi's Mansion 3, which the rumor says was initially planned for the Wii U but moved over due to its timetable that would see it launch late in that console's life, will be a NX launch title. With persistent rumors of a Wii U Luigi's Mansion title being underway, I wouldn't be surprised if this part comes to pass.

Last edited:

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
MS must really be doing poorly (actually it is in all facets of operation except for MS OFFICE WIN/MAC) as its XBOX is dropping by $100 to $199

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Mark - Where did you see the Xbox One dropping to $199? There are frequent sales and there's a temporary $50 across-the-board price discount, but they haven't announced $199. I seriously doubt it would be priced cheaper than a Wii U.

Leo - I saw the same rumors. I'm guessing Nintendo is aiming for PS Vita/PS4 remote play capability but as a standard feature in the console. The Wii U was severely limited by how close you needed to be to the console for it to work, so either their tech got better for house-scale remote play or its going to work through the internet.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I have seen about 7,000 TV commercials over the past week advertising the new $299 (not $199) price for the XBone.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Star Fox Zero seems to have beaten the odds and is being received well with reviews around the 80% mark for what I've seen, despite what usually happens for titles with this branding in the 2000's.

Especially impressive with what seemed like a rough development period with early builds that weren't impressing very many people in the media. I think most had serious doubts this would be anything worth playing due to the novel control scheme.

Now if only Nintendo would've released Star Fox and Star Fox 2 to the Virtual Console to go alongside it (I bet we at least get Star Fox 64 tomorrow).

The latest from the NX rumor mill has the console continuing the setup that the Wii U has with its controller containing a central touch screen display, but with the controller able to connect remotely to the console for portable gaming.

Emily Rogers, some sort of Nintendo insider that seems to be trusted, is calling nonsense on this one.

Didn't sound like something that would work out well in practice, so can't say as I'm surprised.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I've read iffy comments about Emily Rogers' history with leaks so I'm taking everything she says with a grain of salt. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo includes a PS Vita-like controller with the NX and sells extra non-screen controllers (Wii U tablet vs. Pro Controller) but I also wouldn't be surprised if it's a traditional console with non-screen controllers only. I've read so many rumors and seen so many debunked that I'm kind of just hoping they announce something soon and get it over with.

The reviews i've seen for Star Fox Zero are actually not that great. It's floating at 72% on GameRankings right now: http://www.gamerankings.com/wii-u/805613-star-fox-zero/index.html

People seem to be liking the game but hate the control scheme. One review I read on Polygon stated they refused to finish the game (and publish a review, which their internal rules require a game be completed before writing it up) because the controls were so terrible. GameSpot and other sites said the controls take time to learn but are really neat once you get them down. This reminds me of a LOT of other games, like Dark Souls or The Witness, where you either absolutely love it or absolutely hate it right away.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I am skipping Star Fox Zero. I have never loved the series, but did buy the games as they were released(my favorite for the N64). I'm too backlogged with games now, and the control sounds like a chore.
No thanks.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm tempted, but too many good games I've yet to get to and I'm always disappointed with this franchise it seems.

I only truly loved the original. So even though this is getting respectable and surprisingly positive reviews, I doubt it's for me when even the widely loved Star Fox 64 didn't do anything for me. My idea of a solid Star Fox title doesn't seem to mesh with what Nintendo thinks it should be.

Even Star Fox 2 was a disappointment when I finally had the chance to try a prototype of it. Was very sad to hear of its demise back in the day after just playing the original and eagerly anticipating a sequel, but it turned out to be just as well since it didn't have the magic.

That soundtrack composed by Koji Kondo for the first Star Fox remains my favorite videogame soundtrack to this day. Amazing what music can do for a game, since it surely turned what was a solid effort back in 1993 into something special for me.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to play Star Fox Zero but, yeah, too many games to go through still.

There are rumors of Nintendo porting a lot of Wii U hits to NX. I'm wondering if it will be a port job or backward compatibility. There were also rumors of them including some games in the box (classic VC games as digital downloads) but it would be awesome if it was the Wii U ports. Imagine a Nintendo console launching with Smash Bros., Splatoon, Mario Maker, and Pikmin 3 included. Doubtful, but would be awesome.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Zelda U delayed to 2017. Will be playable at E3 in a few weeks.

And confirming what I've believed for a few years now, it has been confirmed for a dual Wii U/NX release much like Twilight Princess had back in 2006. I'll have to go back in this thread later and have a few laughs at all the disdain when I first suggested that could very well happen.

That also almost guarantees a 2017 launch for the NX, in any form. I'll eat my hat if that prediction doesn't end up correct. This title has been in development for years and it's difficult to believe that it's not ready for a Fall release if Nintendo wanted it out this year for the Wii U. It's got to be because NX hardware isn't going to hit the shelves until 2017. Can't have a big launch title appear months earlier on a dying failure.

At least Wii U/Zelda fans like myself got a nice consolation prize a few weeks back.

Edit: Wow, they came out and said March 2017 for the NX (Not an unusual timeframe for a platform not quite ready for the previous Christmas season). I just hope they don't make Wii U fans wait too long after the NX launch to get their hands on that version of Zelda U. Bet it's at least a 2 week wait though.

NX details will be announced later this year and the system won't be at this year's E3.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Leo. I'm actually relieved. I love nintendo, but DO NOT need another game system this year.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Wow, that's really interesting. The rumors had been console in 2016, handheld in 2017, so now I'm guessing they're either launching both at the same time or the NX is something very different from what the rumors have said.

The Zelda on NX thing isn't a surprise by now. I didn't think it would happen because they were very firm on 2016 for a long time but the new console didn't appear to be a 2016 release until the last few months. It sucks for Wii U owners that it got delayed again and is now an NX launch game, but at least there aren't many Wii U owners. I'm not really digging the idea of "Zelda launching on old and new console at the same time" as a trend and I hope it doesn't keep happening.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Also, Nintendo announced that Zelda will be the ONLY thing that they have playable at E3. That's...interesting. I'm guessing they may announce a lot of stuff that isn't read to be played and then have videos or something available, but they won't even have games that were announced for 2016 like the new Pokemon available.

They're probably going to start making all games for Wii U and 3DS also on NX, so they may be holding back some stuff (like...anything for Pokemon...they seriously haven't shown anything but they're coming out within the next 8 months) in order to keep NX details secret.

Users who are viewing this thread