What's new

nine inch nails: closure - to be released fall '04 (1 Viewer)

adrian b

Stunt Coordinator
at least that's what's on the official site. it's spec'd as being a 2 disc set. Does that mean it'll just be a re-issue of the VHS release or will it have (hopefully) more videos?

now if we could get ministry: in case you didn't feel like showing up i'd be a happy camper

adrian b

Stunt Coordinator
and that's the best news i've seen in a while....the trailer has me all excited. hoping the hurt vid is there this time as i'm in it :)

Shane D

Supporting Actor
im guessing all the videos since the vhs release will be on there, and from the trailer, it looks like maybe some live stuff too.

guille verdun

Stunt Coordinator
Yes!...some 90' mins more of new stuff...that's enough for me. Check the oficial site for info...

It would be cool to have ''director's comentary'' of the videos. ''Closer'' is one of the best music videos ever made.

The 2-VHS box set rules and the live dvd rocks...can't wait for this to be realesed.

dan fritzen

Second Unit
Nice, the trailer makes this transfer look good for the videos. Some of the live stuff was not high quality to begin with but oh well.

Now if only Trent would tell us what format he will use for his 5.1 remaster of Downward Spiral.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I'm hoping that the performances from "Still" that were aired for MTV will also be included. Heck, why not throw in that grusome "Broken" movie as well. Even though its unsettling to watch, its still nice to have as a collector.

As far as what format Trent will use for the multi-channel mix of TDS, I have a feeling he'll go the way of DVD-Audio since he's doing all new material in 24/96 PCM rather than DSD. I can't see him wanting to convert the original PCM to 1 bit DSD. He's too concerned about sound quality and reducing loss which we should give him praise for. It's nice to see artists (and especially NIN) getting involved in high fidelity.

If he chooses DVD-Audio, I'm hoping that we won't need to go through menus and crap just to play the music. I'd hate to fire up my projector each time I want to listen to the album. I just want to put the disc in and hit "play".

I can't wait for this release!

Mike

Shane D

Supporting Actor
plus since trent is probbalby doing the mix himself like he did for the live disc, its all probably being done on macs, and since he's worked with dts and dolby, i would think that would push him more to the dvd-a side than the sacd

dan fritzen

Second Unit
I was hoping for DVD video to be used or DTS CD, as I don't want to have to hook up 6 cables to my DVD-A player.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw

That's exactly why I haven't even got into DVD-Audio yet. I'm waiting for a good DVD-Audio transport to connect to a pre-amp/processor via HDMI and have the lossless MLP decoding done in the preamp. This way we can use the DACs in the preamp (which should be far better than whats inside any DVD-Audio player) and have a shorter signal path without the use of six cables altering the sound significantly.

DTS CD is old technology using PCM on a CD, hence DTS's jump to DVD-Audio. I like SACD but there are few players on the market that actually don't convert the DSD to PCM like all of the combo units do (eliminating any sonic advantage the format has to offer). High end companies won't make the SACD players because Sony in their infinate wisdom isn't letting anyone else make the DSD chipsets and DACs. When will they learn?

DVD-Audio has the best potential as long as they market it as both a real high resolution alternative to CD in stereo or surround and giving the ability to listen to the song without putting on the video and cue smoothly through it.

Buttons on the front panel of the player selecting the DVD-Audio portion or the DVD-portion would be preferable.

Mike

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I believe that it's been confirmed on the official dual disc page that the re-release of The Downward Spiral will be in SACD. If I find the link I will post it but I can't seem to remember where I found it.

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
Broken will NEVER be released. Trent has said that multiple times. Simple reason being he doesn't want to have to answer questions about it.

Nice to see this finally coming out on DVD. Won't be buying it twice though. I had a hellish enough time finding the VHS versions (since various parts of Canada actually banned it for a while). I'm a huge NIN fan (every album and single, about 40 audio bootlegs, seven video bootlegs, Closure, the live DVD etc...) but it would have to be a pretty amazing (and cheap) DVD to warrant another purchase.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I guess I'll have to keep Broken only on my computer...thats ok though, its not like I enjoy watching it over and over again...once or twice is enough for a long time...

Mike

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I am a longtime NIN fan, but i have never heard of the "Broken" Movie, and the "Still" MTV performance... Michael coule you elaborate, or better yet... get ahold of my through IM? ;)

I have the Closure VHS... is it something from that tape?

Jon B NY

Stunt Coordinator
I'd so much rather have Ministry: Incase You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up...but this is nice also :)

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator

The Broken video was a VHS cassette that was to be released along side the Broken EP. It consisted of 5 videos: Pinion, Wish, Help Me I'm in Hell, Happiness in Slavery, and Gave Up. In between the videos, there was footage of a man being tortured by being forced to watch the videos (at least that's how I remember it; it's been a while since I've seen the video). As of right now, the only way to view the entire video is through a bootleg. I won't post how to do that since I'm sure it's against forum rules, but it's not very hard to obtain a copy of the video if you look hard enough. There were two notible differences between the versions of the videos in the Broken VHS and the Closure VHS: 1) The Help Me I'm In Hell video wasn't completed in time when the bootleg was made and appears simply as a black screen with the song playing in the background. In the Closure VHS, it's the completed video. 2) Gave Up was a completely different video. In the Broken version, the video is of a man tied up and being tortured. In the Closure version, the video is simply a behind-the-scenes look at the making of a NIN song.

The Still performance was an accoustic session that was released as a second disk for the deluxe edition of "And All That Could Have Been". I really don't know too much about it, but I'm assuming that it originally aired on MTV before being included in "And All That Could Have Been".

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Thanks Scott.

Ah. I have that CD and DVD. The 2 disc limited CD is a fantastic compilation. Its also OOP.. on ebay lately fetching some high prices.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I see that too, now. I looked probably two weeks ago and saw it for around $50.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks