Real Name
Sam Posten

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
My spunky 9-yo caught me ogling those pages and asked if she can have one (after asking if I'm getting one), LOL. :laugh: I told her maybe if she started learning photography... like her big sis did when she gets to middle school or something... :P

Doubt that I'll be upgrading (the body anyway) again for a long time to come... although would be nice to have a few of the features that came after the D800 (besides whatever improvements in IQ at high ISO levels)...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm sort of relieved. The D500 would be nice, but it's not really aimed at my priorities, at least not enough vs. the nice little D7100 I'm using to drop $2K on it. Maybe some of the niceties on it will carry over to a D7300 though.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's going to be perfect for my sports and Conowingo Eagle shoots. That's a good 35% or so of my interests right there. Personal / family stuff fits the rest. As heavy as the D500 is it will make a nice walk around alternative to the D5 too for me.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sam Posten said:
It's going to be perfect for my sports and Conowingo Eagle shoots. That's a good 35% or so of my interests right there. Personal / family stuff fits the rest. As heavy as the D500 is it will make a nice walk around alternative to the D5 too for me.

I have a similar full frame & crop body setup with my Canon 5D3 and 7D2 cameras, and it works quite well for me. The crop 7D2 gets used with telephoto lenses for wildlife and sports, and the full frame 5D3 is used for everything else. Size and weight wise, though, the two bodies are pretty much identical -- as is their button layouts. Sometimes both bodies come along on a trip if I will be shooting both landscapes and wildlife, while other times just one body is packed.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Had an hour or so to play with the D500 at Conowingo today. Totally under the gun, had to get setting put in as I was shooting. Couple weird things. The clock doesn't get set during initial setup. The diopter is set in the dumbest spot to begin with. It's set in AFS-S and I had no idea how to get it to AFS-C.

Which resulted in this:

Untitled
by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

SONOFAB!

Got that fixed but still need to fine tune some things. I don't think I want 55 point 3d for BIFs. Need to figure out what my D4 is set to.

Got a few decent shots but nothing spectacular:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Wonder what happened to this poor guy's face:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Probably the best shot of the day:

Untitled

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Thanks! Definitely a happy accident that it framed it without blowing the focus. Not sure if it's a crane or a great blue heron, will have to check the differences again, I used to know.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It looks like a great blue heron to me, Sam.

Glad to see you having a chance to try out the new camera. Love that first shot. ;) It usually takes a little time to figure out settings on a new body. It took me a little while to get my Canon 7D2 customized the way I wanted -- the auto focus system was even more advanced, with more options, than either my 5D3 or old 7D.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The D500 and 70-300 combo is my new favorite gear for sitting in the stands and getting terrific shots a hundred yards away.
Middle of Right field. At Night, with lights, High ISO, fast shutter. Brilliant!

16-YankeesOrioles-1005

Even if we did have to watch ARod grab his junk all game long.

16-YankeesOrioles-1014

The 70-300 VR really is Nikon's best bang for the buck lens. My copy is incredibly sharp and returns incredible details even at night. Light too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks