What's new

Nighttime TV Earbuds (1 Viewer)

pjcarter12

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick
All,

I'm new and thank you in advance for any help. It is greatly appreciated.

I wanted to start off with something simple. We have a 50" Samsung LED TV in the bedroom (Model UN48J5201AF). It's a base model "smart" tv. It's fed HDMI by an xBox One. The TV has an Audio Out I don't recognize and an optical audio out only, no 1/8th" headphone jack.

Here's my question; can you recommend a transmitter that can connect to the optical out that my wife can listen to with headphones? It should be basic, optical to say maybe a Bluetooth transmitter paired with some comfy Bluetooth earbuds. Or maybe Infrared? Has anyone done this and could maybe recommend what they did to make it work?

I have many more, complex questions but I wanted to start slow here in the beginner's board. There are a great deal variables to work out and I just want to make it work!

Thanks,
PJC

pjcarter12

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick
The manual I found (http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN48J5201AFXZA-search#) shows an audio output (pg 11). You should be able to use that for a set of headphones. If you wanted it to be wireless, there are bluetooth devices that will connect to that type of jack.

Wow. I pulled a Homer Simpson. I had no idea that audio out jack above the optical out was actually just an 1/8th inch headphone jack. Thank you.

Next though, does anyone have any experience using any of the Bluetooth transmitters (and headphones) for doing this? I've always run into odd compatibility issues with Bluetooth. Any one know one or two specific units they know works with earbuds? Ever seen one with an independent volume?

Thanks again!

PJC

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Next though, does anyone have any experience using any of the Bluetooth transmitters (and headphones) for doing this? I've always run into odd compatibility issues with Bluetooth. Any one know one or two specific units they know works with earbuds?

I've been using this one and it seems to work well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UEGDDAY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I liked it because it doesn't use a battery, it just plugs into a USB port for power (and I had a USB port available on my receiver).
It doesn't have a volume control, but most bluetooth headsets have a volume control, and I'd think you'd want the control close to you, not across the room.

Full disclosure though, I haven't used it that much, maybe 6 times. It was more of an, "I haven't experimented with anything in a while so I'll order this", kind of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks