What's new

NiGhT oF ThE CoMeT (1 Viewer)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Yes, thank you. I stopped by the San Bernardino location at lunchtime yesterday and couldn't find it but I did end up picking up season 1 of Hawaii Five-O so it wasn't a wasted trip. I looked all over the Rancho Cucamonga location last night but I didn't see it anywhere and I was in a bit of a hurry so I left. I guess I should have asked one of the "blue shirts." The Montclair store isn't very far from where I live either so that one may be worth a shot.

Colton

Supporting Actor
I would expect MGM to hold off all the extras and commentary until they release the HD version. After looking at the new DVD version and comparing it to the Hi-Def 1080 from HDNet - it's stunning how much detail is restored! Everything from the main titles to picture quality blew me away. If I find some time I'll post screen cap comparisons of the two and let you be the judge.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Finally watched it tonight for the first time, on dvd or any format.What a great little 80s movie ! Although, its a kind of strange movie that you cant put in a certain category,it cant decide if its a horror movie or comedy or sci fi.But I liked it anyway.This is selling like crazy at amazon, a few minutes ago I checked its now # 40 on their top seller list ! We might get that special edition sooner than later, lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I managed to get my hands on a copy last night at the local Best Buy. This was the second time I had been to that store looking for it this week. I didn't see it on the shelf once again so I asked about it. The girl I asked went looking for a copy and couldn't find one so I went about my browsing the CD section. A few minutes later I heard another employee yelling at my from a distance so I looked up and saw that he had a copy in his hand! He said that they had found it in a box of DVDs somewhere.

Anyway, I watched my new DVD last night and I don't think that Night of the Comet has ever looked so good! I last saw it on VHS back in the mid '80s so my memories are a bit faded but I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed seeing it again.

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
Watched this over the weekend, and it's still loads of fun. Whatever happened to the girls that played the sisters? They sure were cute.

Observation: Anybody else reminded of "Lost" and the Dharma Initiative by the think tank's logo? Not to mention that Larry the Projectionist eventually became one of the Others...

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

The first part, yes, I said the same thing to my wife.

Enjoyed this movie, but some noticable gaffs.

1. When Regina first goes into her house, there is nothing at the bottom of the stairs, in the hall. But when her and Sam are going out, the leash and the powder that was their dog, is right there in the middle of the floor.

2. After Hector is satisfied about the girls, in the radio station, he is standing in the door jamb and they make a point of showing him taking off his gloves. Then they cut to the girls, then when they cut back to Hector, he has the gloves on and walks toward them, then they show him take the gloves off again.

3. All the driving around LA and there should be a lot of cars, mostly crashed, when their drivers disintigrated. Instead it looks like nobody, (except the 1 car we see at a light), was in their car and driving when it happened. Also, that 1 car, did he put it in park or was it a stick and in neutral? Otherwise, it probably wouldn't have been just sitting at the light like that.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I cant imagine the hd net version looking a whole lot better than this dvd. Maybe just a tiny bit better, im really suprised how good it looks on this standard edition dvd, I was expecting the picture to be softer and grainier than this.What makes it even more shocking , is the fact its on a single layer disc, with a mono track, a stereo track,and a spanish mono audio track.Can you imagine if they didnt include the stereo track and the spanish mono track how it would look ? Probably almost HD quality !

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Finally got this. I never did see it at BestBuy and didn't harp on the employees, who in my neighborhood, are much dumber and downright meaner than the ones described above. Anyway, I forgot this was out and finally came across at it amazon last week. Got it immediately. I only ever saw the film on HBO circa 1985; it does look stunning on dvd, compared to other popular B-flicks of the time.

Unfortunately, the audio is set to the original mono track by default, so I watched the whole damn thing not knowing there was a very good stereo option. I hate when dvds default to the inferior soundtracks. It happens a lot.

I also immediately noticed the similarity of the think tank's logo to the Dharma Initiative's logo on "Lost." Wonder what's up with that story?

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I have to agree,I own this on dvd and its 1 of the best transfers, for a movie thats over 20 years old.The 25th anniversary is in a few years, maybe theyll finally have a special edition ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks