What's new

Night of the Comet (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I Love this movie and would love to see it released on DVD but can never seem to get info as to who owns the rights and what the hold up is.
Can anyone help?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm not sure who owns it either, although when it last aired on DirecTv (luckily, I made a nice DVD-R from it) it had a Paramount logo at the beginning.

Jeff

Wierd to see Chikotay (sp?) {the Trek fan in me} in an earlier role. Really dug this flick back in the teen years.

The Bottome Line:

All (pretty much) movies made between 1970 and 1990 should be on Disc! Baby Boomer and Gen-X are the ones buying this stuff. Sell it already!

Father...the Sleeper has Awaken!

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I am guessing a lot of people dont know about the film if the lack of posts are any indication.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
NotC should be part of a package of films produced via Atlantic, inclusive of Teen Wolf. May be owned by M-G-M.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
If this is the one were 2 girls survive a comet pass over because one of them is making out on a projection booth, than yeah! I'm all for it! I haven't seen this since the late 80's.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
I've been waiting for a dvd release of this film since the format started. Got a copy of the movie on VHS from HBO.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Paramount was the video and Pay-TV distributor for Atlantic in the 1980s. MGM probably holds the rights now.

SvenS

Second Unit
Isn't this film being bootlegged by the low life company PFE (Pacific Family Entertainment)? I thought I remember in the thread about them bootlegging The Final Countdown that thet were going to try bootlegging that film as well.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I too remember this film fondly - one of those HBO discoveries. And I too am still clinging to an old VHS taped-off-HBO copy of it, wiating for something better. I'd hoped for this one on LaserDisc, but nothing ever came out, and now we're into DVDs and still nothing. Maybe someday...

Harry

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
I'd buy this in a heartbeat after catching it on HBO in the late 90s. Hopefully MGM(or whoever owns it) does this right like they did return of the living dead and Killer Klowns from outer space.This and monster squad are the 80s movies I want most now.

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
I think there would be interest in this from people who enjoyed "Dawn of the Dead". MGM could do a sweet photoshop rip off cover of the DOTD remake poster and be set.

I enjoyed this movie in the 80's because it tied into people's interest in real life space-happenings of the day, sort of. Lifeforce is the other MGM film dealing with Halley's Comet. From these films we learned that comets were pure evil.

And Kelli Maroney is really cute.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
As more and more of my most-wanted movies get released on DVD, this movie continues to rank higher on my Holy Grail list. As far as I know, the PFE release was cancelled.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Holy shiznit! I just inquired about this movie in the Movies forum, but didnt know the title. I can't beleive that there already was a thread about it!

Cast my vote as someone else who would buy this if it were on DVD! :D

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
The DVD was previously announced for release on 10/28/03 along with The Monster Squad. I think both were from PFE. Neither came out. Still waiting.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

No, this was a recent Paramount/Viacom logo. Paramount apppears to currently have the rights. Paramount did not have video rights in the 80's...the video release was from CBS/FOX. My guess is that Paramount aquired the title through Viacom's purchase of the CBS library. Where did this MGM theory come from?

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks