Night Gallery - Season 2

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Joe Kelly, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Screenwriter

it is just weird since I'm not saying "I remember seeing this on TV 20 years ago." This was like a month ago - so it's post-vault fire, too.

2. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny

This seems to me that UNIVERSAL is either lazy or reluctant to use syndicated prints!

3. ryan1993

ryan1993 Auditioning

that's a shame ep's are missing [​IMG]

4. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Screenwriter

This might just be a weird case that the available prints in the vault don't match with the video transfer used by RTN. RTN uses MPEG-4.

The missing "episodes" are like 2 minutes long.

5. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    No connection to the recent studio lot fire?

6. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

Each of the two segments is just over 5 minutes in length. Long enough to make it somewhat episodic, unlike the 'blackout' vignettes like "Smile, Please" or "Room for one Less" which have that 'blink and you miss it' feel.

7. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    I assume this means we'll be getting "Die Now, Pay Later" in the Witches' Feast slot.

8. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Screenwriter

Satisfaction seemed really short when it ran here

9. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

10. Cheetah

Cheetah Stunt Coordinator

Universal stating they were unable to locate the missing segments when they are actually available (even if only in syndicated form) is quite strange.

David, have you been in contact with Universal since the news release to inform them of what Joe Corey has posted on this forum? They should know that already, but if they need to be notified directly then so be it.

With the prints existing why not do what’s necessary to have them included and delay the release if necessary? We have already waited long enough for a release of season two so waiting a little longer wouldn’t be a big deal. Who cares if syndicated prints are all that is available, isn’t it obvious to Universal that using them is better than the alternative? This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

11. Stephen Bowie

Stephen Bowie Stunt Coordinator

Well, "unable to locate" is likely corporate-speak for one or some combination of: a) they didn't realize these existed until the DVDs were finished; b) whatever elements they did have were inferior to the remastered episodes and were rejected for quality; or c) in order to access them Uni would've had to search outside their own archives, and they weren't inclined to do so. As others noted above, clearly they do exist in some form (unlike, say, the original hour versions of the first season of McCloud, which I've been halfway talked into believing might be irretrievably lost).

Either way, it's frustrating that the release comes so close to being complete and just misses the mark.

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Well, it was Gord who was in contact with Uni about this, not me. He simply passed word on to me for posting, since I'm the news-posting guy. [​IMG]

And yes, I did pass word back to Gord about this conversation here. It was right after he got back from his overseas trip, though, and frankly he's still jet lagged (i.e., wanting to sleep at hours as if he was on the other side of the world). Therefore I'm not sure if he did anything with it, but I'll try to remember to check with him about it later on today.

13. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

Just now received an email from Scott Skelton. Some good news regarding S2:

"I just spoke with my contact at Universal, and the second episode WILL include the complete, uncut story segment "Satisfaction Guaranteed." Unfortunately, "Witches' Feast" will not be included, but she said that, in the event Season 3 is released, they'll be looking to include that in the Season 3 DVD set as a bonus. We'll alert them to the syndication-only segments ["Room for one Less", "Die Now, Pay Later"] as well."

14. serlingng

serlingng Auditioning

I just spoke with my contact at Universal, and the second episode WILL include the complete, uncut story segment "Satisfaction Guaranteed." Unfortunately, "Witches' Feast" will not be included, but she said that, in the event Season 3 is released, they'll be looking to include that in the Season 3 DVD set as a bonus, along with the syndication-only segments, "Room for One Less" and "Die Now, Pay Later." Because "Witches' Feast" (which ran in the place of "Satisfaction Guaranteed" when the second episode was first broadcast) could not be included, the front of the DVD package was changed from saying "The Complete Second Season" to, simply, "Season Two."

The liner notes on the DVD package (which has already been printed) is still going to say that "portions of 'Satisfaction Guaranteed'" could not be included--a mistake that can't be corrected at this stage of production.

15. serlingng

serlingng Auditioning

Universal thought they had "Witches' Feast" at first--their print was mislabeled as "A Death in the Family/The Merciful/Class of '99/Witches' Feast." It was only when they checked later that they found it was the rerun showing with "Satisfaction Guaranteed" in place of "Witches' Feast."

They searched for the original, uncut "Witches' Feast" and couldn't find it in the vaults. By the time they discovered the existence of the syndication version (which is slightly altered from the original), it was too late.

16. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

17. serlingng

serlingng Auditioning

I gave it a listen last night, and now I'm looking forward to Guillermo's commentaries even more. I knew he was an enormous fan of the series, but I hadn't realized how deep his knowledge of its history was. That, coupled with his filmmaker's appreciation for directorial style, the importance of atmosphere, and a well-told story truly makes him the ideal commentator on these episodes. I know he wanted to do more commentaries than Universal would allow, and he also was hoping to do some filmed introductions to all the episodes as well. Having heard this discussion-panel-style interview between Guillermo, Jim, and NG director Jeannot Szwarc, I really regret Universal didn't step up and give the fans the full megillah. But I shouldn't complain--they've done so much already.

18. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

His enthusiasm for NG is infectious and I really enjoyed his insights and musings on the stylistic qualities of the show. I thought he (and Jeannot as well) had some very interesting remarks on how the music scores added such an important dimension and texture to the series. I particularly liked listening to how Laird and Serling had different opinions on the conception and execution of stories, including the manner in which children should be portrayed in the body of a particular episode.

I definitely looking forward to digesting all of the special feature material for the S2 set!

19. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    Can't wait either, it'll be great. Maybe we can even expect a release of Universal's "The Sixth Sense", uncut, in a not too distant future.

20. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    I can only hope that Universal redoes Season 1 with an extras package of this calibur at some point.