Nick Ray's Bigger Than Life coming March 23, 2010 via Criterion!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Thomas T, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Check their site for details but now that Fox has effectively shut down their classics department, licensing their titles is the only way we're going to get them. A handful are Criterion "worthy" but hey Image Entertainment, Anchor Bay or Legend, how about the rest?

2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Interesting! Maybe they'll get Kazan's "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn". I was really psyched to get that when it was on Fox's website, but apparently it's been pulled. That's certaily Criterion worthy and I could see them releasing a deluxe set with the novel in tow similar to what they did with "Short Cuts" & "The Furies"

3. MLamarre

MLamarre Second Unit

Matthew Lamarre
    Any unreleased Kazan would be welcome. Also, maybe just me, but I'd love to see Joseph L. Mankiewicz's 5 Fingers.

4. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

Criterion should do an Eclipse set of 1950s Fox adventure films.

On the Threshold of Space
    The Roots of Heaven
    Seven Cities of Gold
    The Big Gamble
    Desert Hell
    The Way to the Gold

Or melodramas:

The Sound and the Fury
    No Down Payment
    Bottom of the Bottle
    Blue Denim

Or thrillers:

Violent Saturday
    23 Paces to Baker Street
    Crack in the Mirror
    Plunder Road

5. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Simon, with the exception of the vaguely noir-ish VIOLENT SATURDAY, I can't see any of the titles you mentioned that fit the Criterion mold which tends to identify itself with films displaying an obvious artistry (or artistic bent) rather than pure entertainment.

6. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    I have "23 Paces To Baker Street" recorded on my Sky+ (from Channel Four in the UK), it's in 'scope & stereo & looks very good. What we need is a small company to licence titles (in limited numbers) & sell them over the internet, like they do with soundtracks.

7. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Great idea, Billy! Labels like Intrada, Kritzerland, Varese, Prometheus have been putting out limited edition pressings of soundtracks for years (once they're gone, they're gone) and very successfully too in actually building up a market. I don't see why a similar pattern wouldn't work for films. Say, a limited 1,000 pressing of BOY ON A DOLPHIN or BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE should do very well though I suspect the usual suspects would complain about coughing up $24.99 or higher (to ensure a decent profit for the company).