What's new

Nick Ray's Bigger Than Life coming March 23, 2010 via Criterion! (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Check their site for details but now that Fox has effectively shut down their classics department, licensing their titles is the only way we're going to get them. A handful are Criterion "worthy" but hey Image Entertainment, Anchor Bay or Legend, how about the rest?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Interesting! Maybe they'll get Kazan's "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn". I was really psyched to get that when it was on Fox's website, but apparently it's been pulled. That's certaily Criterion worthy and I could see them releasing a deluxe set with the novel in tow similar to what they did with "Short Cuts" & "The Furies"

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Any unreleased Kazan would be welcome. Also, maybe just me, but I'd love to see Joseph L. Mankiewicz's 5 Fingers.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Criterion should do an Eclipse set of 1950s Fox adventure films.

On the Threshold of Space
The Roots of Heaven
Seven Cities of Gold
The Big Gamble
Desert Hell
The Way to the Gold

Or melodramas:

The Sound and the Fury
No Down Payment
Bottom of the Bottle
Blue Denim

Or thrillers:

Violent Saturday
23 Paces to Baker Street
Crack in the Mirror
Plunder Road

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Simon, with the exception of the vaguely noir-ish VIOLENT SATURDAY, I can't see any of the titles you mentioned that fit the Criterion mold which tends to identify itself with films displaying an obvious artistry (or artistic bent) rather than pure entertainment.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I have "23 Paces To Baker Street" recorded on my Sky+ (from Channel Four in the UK), it's in 'scope & stereo & looks very good. What we need is a small company to licence titles (in limited numbers) & sell them over the internet, like they do with soundtracks.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Great idea, Billy! Labels like Intrada, Kritzerland, Varese, Prometheus have been putting out limited edition pressings of soundtracks for years (once they're gone, they're gone) and very successfully too in actually building up a market. I don't see why a similar pattern wouldn't work for films. Say, a limited 1,000 pressing of BOY ON A DOLPHIN or BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE should do very well though I suspect the usual suspects would complain about coughing up $24.99 or higher (to ensure a decent profit for the company).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks