What's new

Niche title that tempts: “One Right Six” (1 Viewer)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I have for the first time run into software which is causing me to regret my stubbornness regarding the purchase of a HD capable player.
One Six Right

Edit: reversed my title, this should be ONE SIX RIGHT maybe a Mod can fix?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've been tempted to pick this up, just havent pulled the trigger. I was hoping buy.com would get it while the $20 promotion was on but no dice. Next time I get a pile from Amazon I might nab it tho.

I've been warned that the actual flight segments are not the main focus of the documentary, so others should keep that in mind too tho...

The chatter at AVS is that this is exceptionally filmed.

Sam

Mary M S

Screenwriter

I think it is (exceptional) and recommend a buy.

If you click on the ONE SIX RIGHT link in my first post a sample slideshow from the film will load giving you a taste of the film’s cinematography.
There is an additional video-link on the menu.
I have better luck loading the video if I go direct to the web site, instead of loading via the forum.
I just ordered my (SD) copy and the companion disc of extra’s, ONE SIX LEFT.

Since aviation is part of my family it is hard for me to judge the level of attraction the subject matter would have for the non-pilot though the thrust of this film is directed to lay people.
The film is laced with the romance of a little boy who stands at the side of runway wide-eyed, knowing that one day he too will “climb and join the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds, and do a hundred things you have not dreamed of.”

The focus you mention expresses the need to protect the dwindling numbers of GA airports, their function and contributions in Society by following the history of the largest, Van Nuys Airport in California.

- Harrison Ford -
“Captures the history, joy and the beauty of flight. One of the finest aviation films ever made”

Gorgeous eye candy for your HD-DVD player, and if you ever wanted to learn to fly, this film, will make you wish that you had. Love to see a review from you on this title, Sam.

TedD

Supporting Actor
I have the HD DVD version of this title, and it truly is an exceptional transfer of a very interesting subject. Just sees a Douglas DC-3 in flight painted in the United Air Lines livery is worth the purchase price of this title.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I also have the HD DVD. It was beautifully shot in HD video and is visually stunning. Heck, even the "talking heads" interview segments are remarkable looking.

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
Looked beautiful on Discovery HD.

I'd have to slightly disagree with the "whiny neighbors are bad" tone of part of the piece, though. They interviewed a pilot who flies medical mercy missions to win sympathy for the high levels of air traffic in and out of Van Nuys, but a large percentage of the noise from this airport actually comes from jets servicing big businesses and wealthy individuals.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Take this with a grain of salt, I admit my prejudice up front!

Small municipal airports often struggle to stay in the black, a thriving local will hope to have corporate-class traffic to sustain itself over years so that facilities are available in well-maintained condition for the broad ranges of service connected with aircraft.

I felt there was more emphasis placed on the risk that dwindling numbers of General Aviation locations will impact numbers of available pilots, whose only route for non-military unsubsidized training is light single-engine piston-driven aircraft at these same locations. Greater distance between and lessening numbers of these “roosting places” for aircraft will eventually drive up all costs, already extremely prohibitive for aviators.

What bothers me greatly is that as GA airport’s become squeezed by surging numbers of urban sprawl, the same homeowners who purchased taking advantage of the price reduction for location, (noise), once established then work to cut out the source which granted their discounted opportunity.

The behavior of homeowners who move into subdivisions defined by surrounding circumstances then loudly make objection to those effectors often baffles me. My In-laws gated custom community is in an area of old farmland becoming suburbanized. The builders in much of this area have been sensitive to the natural state of the ponds and creeks feeding down to a large recreational lake by including in the developments an allowance for nature trails and sanctuaries.

My Father-in-law sees the occasional glimpse of a bobcat, and enjoys the sight of transitory geese resting at a protected pond during migration. A neighbor in a nearby gated subdivision drove the local municipality crazy with phone calls till they captured and removed “those extremely dangerous wild turkeys” which occasionally passed near her home.

You pay a premium for builders to allow for a combination of the natural and developed then move in and work to take ‘nature’ out of the equation....I just don’t get it.
And on the flip side take advantage of your discount then attempt to shutdown the business which created it....just bad form in my book.

I think the thrust of the documentary as regards protection of GA locations was accurate as concerns the multi faceted layers needed to maintain a microcosm that is an “airport.” From the constant influx of new pilots first solo’s through business corporate accounts (which do indeed often make planes available for mercy missions) up through locally assigned service groups, Fire, Police, Rescue and Air Ambulance.

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with your basic point that some people move near an airport because it's cheap, then gripe about it as if they didn't know what they were getting into.

My concern is more about EXPANSION of airport operations impacting neighbors. If there is a certain level of noise you expect, then that level dramatically increases over time due to expansion of operations, I think neighbors aren't out of bounds in complaining.

And btw, I should have said up front I'm a Van Nuys Airport neighbor - 1.5 miles west of the runways which are north-south, so no direct traffic overhead, save the occasional pilot who decides to depart from approved departure/approach paths. That's the only thing that annoys me. Well, that and the airshow last summer which kept my then-newborn awake all day. But again - I knew the risks when I moved there.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
My husband gets to fly (and maintenance – more than is fun :laugh: ) two military versions of the 3 (C-47’s.) I was partial to the small bits of footage of the UA painted DC-3 myself, she looks in excellent condition!

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Before we moved (only a couple of miles, actually), we were essentially across-the-street-and-a-cow-pasture from a small general-aviation airfield — not unusual in Dallas-Fort Worth, which from the FAA's perspective is basically just one big airport. The owner has a C-47 parked on a pad. I don't believe it's in flying condition, although it's hard to find out, because the runway isn't really long enough for it. Occasionally he has been known to start the engines. It's just very amusing to see, because it's so large compared to the little Cessnas and so on that fly from there, and particularly because for years there was a small two-engine plane of the same basic shape which used to park next to it, and looked like a baby. I have to agree that people who move into the area around an airport, and then complain about the noise, have a screw loose, but worse are those who move in next to a rail line (which has usually been in place a hundred years) and complain about train noise. Just recently, there has been a housing development built right by the airfield I mentioned, and the people there have the worst of both worlds since the runway is next to a heavy-traffic rail line! I'd be interested to see this. Aviation video often makes good viewing.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I caught this film on Discovery Channel, which I often find provides some of the highest quality HD available on D*. I received my discs yesterday of ONE SIX RIGHT (film) and ONE SIX LEFT (extras), the son ran off with RIGHT so I was left to compare quality of the extras disc (LEFT) to my first viewing in broadcast HD.

What a difference! I have an aging non up-converting player the Panasonic RP91 that has overall provided satisfaction but the lack of HD resolution was a negative while reviewing this disc. I had issues with motion artifacts in pans and speed shots to the point of distraction when comparing some identical footage via the HD version.

If you pick up ONE SIX RIGHT (HD-DVD) I would still recomend considering ordering the ONE SIX LEFT companion disc along with the movie. Unfortunately available only in SD, 45 min and $ 12.95. “The making of ” on LEFT is as entertaining in its own right as the film. It made me laugh out loud several times and intrigued I looked up the biography on the Producer/ Director of OSR.

Terwilliger, (still very young) at an early age determined to make flying his profession but stymied by vision issues could only obtain a private pilots certification to operate aircraft in daylight conditions. That fact does not seem to effect his “eye” for exceptional filmmaking.

He injects the film with the passion he feels for the subject matter.
The money shot (for me) is a dissolve from black & white footage of a 14 yr. old boy during a flight lesson morphing into the retired commercial airline pilot he is today. He is sporting helmet & goggles with a million watt grin in the seat of 1936 Fleet cherry red, open-cockpit biplane.
That shot epitomizes the men who live to fly.

Film editor, Kim Furst stated she was going to pursue a pilots certificate after working on the project for a year. Terwilliger has credit for Special Effects on Big Fish.

Note to Chris: I think my husband has seen that very 3 and knows the location. Years ago while flying skydivers to build time, his dropzone had just made the purchase of “Lady Luck” from Arizona. Passing that airport during business he stopped in to ask if he could take a closer look. The owner was grumpy and suspicious asking why had he never been in a DC-3 if they owned one! (The aircraft had not been ferried in to Texas yet). He said it was in deplorable condition with tin cans strung all over her to catch the famous round engine oil drips. ....and you state it is still sitting there crumbling away!
I don’t know the length of that field, if it is grass they may have reduced the length they maintain over the years, DC-3's are pretty capable in short field, when that group first received her, the Lady Luck operated out of 2800 feet of gravel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks