What's new

NHL 2012-13 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I lived in Boston in the early sixties and at the time, the Brunins were always sold out (and they were not very good) but the Celtics with Bob Cousy and Bill Russell were not and tickrts were easy to get. In my opinion, the Celtics of that era were much better than the Larry Bird era.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Sumnernor said:
I lived in Boston in the early sixties and at the time, the Brunins were always sold out (and they were not very good) but the Celtics with Bob Cousy and Bill Russell were not and tickrts were easy to get. In my opinion, the Celtics of that era were much better than the Larry Bird era.
Sumnernor,I'm jealous of you! I began following the Celtics around 1966-1967. My father was (is) a huge fan of the Celts, and while growing up I used to hear many stories of the Cooz, Russell, K.C. Jones, Sam Jones, Sigfried, Heinsohn, Havlicek, Nelson, et al. (John Havlicek is my all-time favorite NBA player, and he was one of many whom inspired me to begin long-distance running in the late 1970s.) You'll get no argument from me with regard to which era of Celtics teams was the greatest. The Cousy - Russell era won eight straight NBA Championships, and eleven in thirteen years.I watched some non-NHL hockey last night after the Chicago - Detroit game had completed. It was interesting to see Sedin (and others) in those 'different' uniforms, and hearing names (additional to Sedin) that I normally associate with NHL teams.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
That was another good win for Boston tonight, with perhaps a bit more grit. I am really, really loving Krug and Bartkowski. How Seguin and Jagr didn't score on their respective shots in the first period is beyond me -- except that Lundqvist is quite good.

I read the following on a blog, and didn't realize (or had forgotten) this:

"If Boston wins one more game, then the Dallas Stars get Boston's first round draft pick as a result of the Jagr trade."

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sumnernor said:
I lived in Boston in the early sixties and at the time, the Bruins were always sold out (and they were not very good) but the Celtics with Bob Cousy and Bill Russell were not and tickrts were easy to get. In my opinion, the Celtics of that era were much better than the Larry Bird era.
Those Celtics teams couldn't skate worth a darn, though. :D

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Goodness, there is a lot of whining (not on this Board) from fans of the L. A. Kings. Several are saying that "the fix is in," believing that because the media / television market is not as great for the Kings as it is for the Sharks, the winner of the series is already determined. Huh? I wonder if the fix was in last year, when the Kings won it all. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I wouldn't consider either LA or San Jose as prime hockey markets. However, it wouldn't be the playoffs without a good conspiracy theory or complaints about the officiating.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
At this point the Bruins' first-round pick isn't going to be too exciting anyway.
I do wish Jagr would do something with the puck instead of just diddling around with it along the boards, though.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Aaron Silverman said:
At this point the Bruins' first-round pick isn't going to be too exciting anyway.
I do wish Jagr would do something with the puck instead of just diddling around with it along the boards, though.
The pick may not be an immediate star, but this draft has a deep pool of very good prospects. This wasn't a good year to be giving up 1st or 2nd round picks.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I have another trivia question if anyone is interested. I heard this on the radio this morning while driving to work.

The Nova Scotia Voyageurs (1971-1984) were at one time the affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens. This pair of teams is one of three pairs of teams to have done something special. Name it, and bonus points (and maybe a free pizza ;)) if you can give me the other two pairs of teams.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I know the Kings have been on a great roll on home ice, but I really want them to take care of business at the Shark Tank. I really don't want to see a game 7. Don't have the nerves for it...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
I have another trivia question if anyone is interested. I heard this on the radio this morning while driving to work.

The Nova Scotia Voyageurs (1971-1984) were at one time the affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens. This pair of teams is one of three pairs of teams to have done something special. Name it, and bonus points (and maybe a free pizza ;)) if you can give me the other two pairs of teams.

I'll guess and say win the Stanley Cup and Calder Cup in the same season. It couldn't be the Memorial Cup, since Canadian major junior teams are not affiliates of NHL teams.

If this is correct, I have no idea who the other pairs of teams are -- so no free pizza for me. :lol:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,Correct! It was brought up on 107.3 this morning by a caller. The announcers and their team researched it, and came up with three pairs of teams.Did you ever see a Nova Scotia Voyageur game? Although AHL, they reminded me a little bit of the Cape Cod Cubs when I was reading some of the history of the team.

Okay, it looks like I will be 3-1 in the second round of the playoffs, which is quite a bit better than I did in the first round (3-5). I'm still not giving up on San Jose, but I tend to believe that they are done, even if they win game six at home.

The Penguins and Bruins could wrap things up tonight and tomorrow, respectively. I expect the Blackhawks to win at least game five at home before losing in six in Detroit.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott,

No, I never saw any Nova Scotia Voyageur games. I do not follow the AHL that much -- it's the Canadian Hockey League (OHL, WHL and QMJHL) that I primarily follow. I did try to talk my wife into attending a Grand Rapids Griffins game over the holidays this season when we spent a couple of nights there, but she wanted to do something else, as we attend a lot of Plymouth Whalers hockey games... at least 35 games this past season. My guess just seemed like the only logical answer, though.

Unless Chicago or San Jose make a comeback, it looks like I'll be 1-3 in my picks this round (the Rangers are not coming back). Also, I will be out of my office's hockey playoff pool, as I picked the Blackhawks to go all the way. I'd have better luck throwing darts at a board -- aka the Matt Millen drafting approach. :lol:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Carlo Medina said:
I know the Kings have been on a great roll on home ice, but I really want them to take care of business at the Shark Tank. I really don't want to see a game 7. Don't have the nerves for it...
Carlo,What we need is a thrilling overtime game for game seven. Are you in? ;)

By the way, *if* Chicago and L.A. win their respective series (and it still could happen for the Blackhawks, although I'm picking Detroit), then the third round (final four) teams will be teams whom have won the last four Stanley Cups. Just an observation I made while watching last night's game between the Kings and Sharks.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Carlo,What we need is a thrilling overtime game for game seven. Are you in? ;)

By the way, *if* Chicago and L.A. win their respective series (and it still could happen for the Blackhawks, although I'm picking Detroit), then the third round (final four) teams will be teams whom have won the last four Stanley Cups. Just an observation I made while watching last night's game between the Kings and Sharks.
I love to watch Game 7's when it's not my team playing. The games are almost always entertaining, with lots of drama, knowing that one strange bounce of the puck can determine the outcome of season for two teams. When it's my team playing, though, it can almost be too nerve wracking to watch.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"I love to watch Game 7's when it's not my team playing."Ditto. When the Bruins have played game 7s in the playoffs (which is a lot!), I frequently cannot watch every moment of those games. It's too much at times. But it's also what makes NHL playoff hockey so great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks