What's new

NHL 2012-13 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Aaron,I loved that line last night. And I really, really love Emrick's play-by-play. He's superb.

Carlo,

Tonight I'll be in my easy chair with my feet up, eating some snacks, and watching the game. Let me know how that defibrillator is working since I'll need it tomorrow night. ;)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I watched the second overtime between the Bruins and Penguins twice tonight, once with one of my daughters and again with my oldest son. What a game!

Carlo,

Well, it's 2-2 (as you know) in the Blackhawks - Kings game. I have a good feeling about the Kings tonight.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Boston doing so well is killing me ... We ( Toronto ) were SO close to beating them, we basically beat them except for the last 5 minutes. Worst hockey game moment of my life. I keep thinking, if they had just held on, maybe we'd have actually had a shot at getting to the cup, seeing as how Boston seems to be manhandling the other teams. Sigh. There's always next year :(

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Sean,The Bruins were just using the Maple Leafs series as a tune-up. ;) Seriously, that game seven was remarkable. I've been watching hockey since the late 1960s, and have rarely seen anything like it before. Both Boston and Chicago were very, very close to being eliminated (and the Bruins even more so than the Blackhawks).

Okay, time to update my check list.

Bruins in line for my predicted sweep of the Penguins? Check.
San Antonio in line for my predicted sweep of the Heat? Check.
Ortiz walk-off three-run home run against the Rangers? Check.
Los Angeles Kings even up the series with the Blackhawks? Ooops. ;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well the one very minor silver lining? Work is about to get really hectic, so it looks like I won't be needing to balance work life and another Stanley Cup Finals for the Kings.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Toronto probably would've taken care of the Rangers, but they would've had a tough time with the Penguins.

Then again, I was thinking the same thing about the Bruins until a couple of nights ago. . .

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
"For everyone who has ever played or is thinking about playing this game, good night!"I love those guys. :)Can I say that the series-clinching goal going off Iginla's stick made my nippies twinkle?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Bruins sweep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Vokoun was amazing, but Rask was even better -- nearly perfect for the series. Go Bruins! :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
It's inconceivable to me that Crosby and Malkin had zero points in a four-game series. Did that really just happen? Oddly enough, the Penguins hadn't been swept in forty-seven series, and the last team to do it to them was Boston in 1979 (that was also the last time two original six teams played for the Stanley Cup).By the way, the final 1:30 of game four is must-see. I don't believe I've ever seen a flurry of shots with that kind of intensity in an NHL game before. And what Chara did was in my opinion among the greatest plays by a Bruins defenseman -- with all due respect to no. 4 -- that I have ever witnessed. I watched it about seven or eight times. As Bylsma alluded to after the game, it was almost something 'supernatural' keeping the puck out of the Bruins net at times.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Congrats, Scott and Aaron. Enjoy watching your team in the Finals.

It will be interesting to see what the Penguins do this offseason. They went "all-in" with trades during this season to win the Cup, and have some contracts coming due. You have to wonder how long they can keep Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, etc. together in this salary cap era.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,Thanks. That's much appreciated! :) I think that Bylsma will not be long with the Penguins. But who will they hire as their next coach?

Carlo,

I jumped out of my seat and screamed "Yes!" when the Kings scored with about eight seconds to go. I hope your team pulls this game out in OT. :)Go Kings! ;)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I have got to give the Kings credit, they played a heck of a game on the road facing elimination but in the end that was perhaps the most perfect 2 on 1 goal you'll ever see.Boston seems unstoppable right now but I hope the Hawks can play them tough and win this thing.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I find it surprising that the Bruins and Blackhawks have never played each other in the Finals before.

I haven't done very well with my predictions thus far. I picked the Kings and Penguins to be in the finals.

My Stanley Cup Finals pick:

Boston over Chicago

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/25087/blackhawks-roll-right-into-a-finals-berth

The names bring back such magical times for me, a part of my childhood that I will always treasure. Orr, Magnuson, Cheese, Sanderson, Jarrett, Awrey, Nesterenko, Carleton, Bucyk, the Espositos, Pappin, Pie, Koroll, Dallas and Rick, Maki, Bobby and Dennis, Stanfield, Westfall, Marcotte, Mikita, and many more.

I hope this series is one for the ages. It may be time for me to read Bobby Orr and The Big, Bad Bruins again. ;)

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Ockeghem said:
I find it surprising that the Bruins and Blackhawks have never played each other in the Finals before.

I haven't done very well with my predictions thus far. I picked the Kings and Penguins to be in the finals.

My Stanley Cup Finals pick:

Boston over Chicago

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/25087/blackhawks-roll-right-into-a-finals-berth

The names bring back such magical times for me, a part of my childhood that I will always treasure. Orr, Magnuson, Cheese, Sanderson, Jarrett, Awrey, Nesterenko, Carleton, Bucyk, the Espositos, Pappin, Pie, Koroll, Dallas and Rick, Maki, Bobby and Dennis, Stanfield, Westfall, Marcotte, Mikita, and many more.

I hope this series is one for the ages. It may be time for me to read Bobby Orr and The Big, Bad Bruins again. ;)

I
If Rask plays like he has been there's no stopping Boston. I can't believe we ( Toronto ) gave up Rask for Raycroft, one of the worst trades ever.
In addition, that 3 goal comeback with 5 minutes remaining in the third of the first round against the Leafs gives the current run a feel of destiny IMO. Aside from Boston ripping my heart out and serving it to me on a platter last month, I think the people of Boston kind of deserve this one.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
It's not really that surprising. The Blackhawks were terrible throughout a great deal of the Original Six era. In fact, at one time they were owned by the Norris family at the same time they owned the Red Wings. Detroit would use the Hawks as a virtual farm team, trading better players to the Wings -- I cannot believe the NHL let this happen, but the league let them get away with it. Then came the Bill Wirtz era -- the William Clay Ford of the NHL. The only thing that saved the Blackhawks was his death. Once his son took over, things began to change and the team finally became respectable.

With that said, I was 1-1 on my conference finals predictions, although I did think the Chicago - LA series would go longer and the Penguins would beat the Bruins easily.

Since I picked Chicago to win it all before the playoffs started, I am sticking with them in this round.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Patrick_S said:
I have got to give the Kings credit, they played a heck of a game on the road facing elimination but in the end that was perhaps the most perfect 2 on 1 goal you'll ever see.
Especially after going down 2-0 in the early going, with one of the goals being a soft one. I thought the Blackhawks would have that game in the bag, but the Kings did not give up.

sean1976 said:
If Rask plays like he has been there's no stopping Boston. I can't believe we ( Toronto ) gave up Rask for Raycroft, one of the worst trades ever.
In addition, that 3 goal comeback with 5 minutes remaining in the third of the first round against the Leafs gives the current run a feel of destiny IMO. Aside from Boston ripping my heart out and serving it to me on a platter last month, I think the people of Boston kind of deserve this one.
Even more remarkable, was how the Bruins blew 3-1 series lead, then fall behind in Game 7. It was as if they given up, and with Rask in goal, whose last postseason series was a few years ago, blowing a 3-0 lead against the Flyers.

And it's still hard to believe how they dispose the Penguins pretty easily.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Walter C said:
Especially after going down 2-0 in the early going, with one of the goals being a soft one. I thought the Blackhawks would have that game in the bag, but the Kings did not give up.

Even more remarkable, was how the Bruins blew 3-1 series lead, then fall behind in Game 7. It was as if they given up, and with Rask in goal, whose last postseason series was a few years ago, blowing a 3-0 lead against the Flyers.

And it's still hard to believe how they dispose the Penguins pretty easily.
Let me tell you man, being from TO, and having our first playoffs in what, 9 years? that game absolutely KILLED US. There was so much excitement, thousands of fans in the streets watching the game ( in the pouring rain no less ) on big screens, we had our highest TV ratings ever to date, and then the last 5 minutes happened. I honestly was I'm sure clinically depressed for about 3 days afterwards. I couldn't even bring myself to watch the goals again - STILL haven't watched that last 5 minutes to be honest. OUCH.

.. At least we didn't just drop 10 million on Gonchar - lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks