What's new

NHL 2011-12 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
phil* said:
First post the whole season.
Wow, my Habs REALLY stunk this year.
The only consolation, Phil, is that the Habs get a very high draft pick, and they also got rid of Gauthier as GM.
My condolences, Scott and Jeff. Last season you guys came out on the winning end of a very similar first round series, but this year it didn't work out. It was still the best-played series in the first round, IMO. All seven games were decided by one goal... I believe that is a first for the NHL.
When it's my team playing, I hate Game 7's, as they are nerve-racking, filled with drama and tension, and one bad bounce of the puck can decide your season. When it's not my team playing, though, I love Game 7's for the same reasons.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,
Thanks. It was a great series. It stings a lot less for me this year since the Bruins won it all last year. The game against the Carolina Hurricanes -- also decided in sudden death -- was pure torture for me, even more than losing to the Flyers after building a 3-0 lead in games the following year.
As Chara said, the Bruins shouldn't be disappointed in what they did this season. I'd have to agree, and I believe that Boston will be quite good next year and am really looking forward to next season. Tyler Seguin is a real joy to watch. :)
"All seven games were decided by one goal... I believe that is a first for the NHL."
Correct.
Okay, my pick to win it all at this point? The Nashville Predators. Pekka Rinne is this year's Tim Thomas, IMO. It's possible that Lundqvist will continue his superb goaltending, but I see Rinne being very hot right now, and give the Predators the edge based on their goaltending during the playoffs.

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
Certain people went out of their way to paint ALL Hab fans as boorish thugs because of the actions of a few imbeciles who rioted and set fire to police cars. It was probably the same select gang of idiots who demanded that Chara be charged criminally for the on ice incident re: Pacioretty. The VAST majority of Montreal Canadiens fans are law abiding, fair minded people, who while fervently supporting their own team, appreciate the talents of athletes from opposing teams as well.
I would condemn just as equally, those select few people,who are not,in any way, shape, or form,representative of the good people of Boston,who posted vile and disgusting views of an Afro Canadian hockey player who happened to score the winning goal in last night's game. Apparently, idiocy knows no borders.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield /t/315438/nhl-2011-12-season-discussion-thread/90#post_3920165
When it's my team playing, I hate Game 7's, as they are nerve-racking, filled with drama and tension, and one bad bounce of the puck can decide your season.

Even worse is if goes into overtime, because of that one bad bounce, and no chance to correct that mistake afterwards.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,
Thanks. It was a great series. It stings a lot less for me this year since the Bruins won it all last year. The game against the Carolina Hurricanes -- also decided in sudden death -- was pure torture for me, even more than losing to the Flyers after building a 3-0 lead in games the following year.
As Chara said, the Bruins shouldn't be disappointed in what they did this season. I'd have to agree, and I believe that Boston will be quite good next year and am really looking forward to next season. Tyler Seguin is a real joy to watch. :)
"All seven games were decided by one goal... I believe that is a first for the NHL."
Correct.
Okay, my pick to win it all at this point? The Nashville Predators. Pekka Rinne is this year's Tim Thomas, IMO. It's possible that Lundqvist will continue his superb goaltending, but I see Rinne being very hot right now, and give the Predators the edge based on their goaltending during the playoffs.
Yes, Seguin is fun to watch. I really enjoyed seeing him play up close for two years here. Players with that level of skill do not come around very often, so you need to appreciate them while they are on your team.
I cannot fault your Nashville pick. I think they are the best bet to come out of the West now. Not only is Rinne playing well, but they have two excellent defensemen, and their stock of forwards was improved late in the season with the additions of Radulov and Kostitsyn.
If the Rangers win tonight, they should be the overwhelming favorite to come out of the East now that Boston is gone. However, if NY loses, the conference is wide open.

ShowMeCables

Agent
Real Name
Paul
Ockeghem said:
Scott,
My early pick to win it all is Pittsburgh. But Vancouver will probably be hungrier this year, and I can never count out the Red Wings.
So far you are 0-3. Nashville is looking tough. Also don't count out the Blues. They look tough and they have the goaltending

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Scott Merryfield said:
Yes, Seguin is fun to watch. I really enjoyed seeing him play up close for two years here. Players with that level of skill do not come around very often, so you need to appreciate them while they are on your team.
I cannot fault your Nashville pick. I think they are the best bet to come out of the West now. Not only is Rinne playing well, but they have two excellent defensemen, and their stock of forwards was improved late in the season with the additions of Radulov and Kostitsyn.
If the Rangers win tonight, they should be the overwhelming favorite to come out of the East now that Boston is gone. However, if NY loses, the conference is wide open.
I agree with everything Scott just said. Sorry, I don't have any other analysis to add.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,
The Black Hawks, Bruins, Canucks, Penguins, and Red Wings all out in the first round. I didn't see that coming. If the Rangers lose tonight, we won't have any of the original six remaining.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,
The Black Hawks, Bruins, Canucks, Penguins, and Red Wings all out in the first round. I didn't see that coming. If the Rangers lose tonight, we won't have any of the original six remaining.
The Wings were the only one of that group I picked to lose in the first round, although the Canucks loss didn't surprise me. The Rangers did hang on last night, so here are my 2nd round picks:
Rangers over Caps in 5
Flyers over Devils in 7
Blues over Kings in 7
Predators over Coyotes in 5

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Wow, the 2 playoff series in the East, looking like the old days of the Patrick Division. I thought the Devils would have lost the game, with the way they blew the 2-goal lead. Missed the overtime periods, as I got too tired to watch.

My picks are the Caps, Flyers, Preds, and Kings.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I enjoy hockey but don't follow it all that closely.
Just got invited to Luxury Box seats for Wednesday Night's Caps game. =) Sweeeet! Who are they playing? =p

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I remember someone remarking about the hockeý in the Vancouver Olympics but could not find the post. Starting this week is the IIHF Hockev World Championships in Stockholm & Helsinki from May 4th - 20th. This will be countries ala Olympics rather than teams in the Stanley cup. The quality of the teams is good NOT "minor league" hockey. Most players will not be NHL Some players whose team was eliminated in round 1 will play in the champions, The home page is:

http://www.iihf.com/channels-12/iihf-world-championship-wc12/home.html

I am sure that many of the games will be seen in Canada and perhaps in northern US. Most games will be interesting - the best teams will be SWE, FIN, RUS, CZE, Slov, CAN and US. Perhaps on NBC and NHL sites will have something. SWE is 6 hours(NYC noon = 6PM) and Helsinki 7 hours. As in the NHL, the best teams will have the best goalies.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Sam Posten said:
Man, 5+ hours of hockey is draining! What a game, shame to lose it but at that point someone had to!
Sam,
You sure did see an amazing game. I'm thrilled it was televised. I was switching back-and-forth between your game and the Coyotes - Predators game.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
TonyD said:
Scott why wouldn't it have been televised?
Tony,
That's a fair question. This past week, we downgraded our DirecTV package, and lost many of the sports channels. I didn't know until this week which ones we still had. I got to watch the game, whereas the previous night the same channel (603, I believe) was 'lost' due to our downgrade.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I always forget the satellite thing and that everyone doesn't have Comcast or Verizon FIOS.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
TonyD said:
I always forget the satellite thing and that everyone doesn't have Comcast or Verizon FIOS.
We have a condo in Myrtle Beach, and when we make our annual April trip it becomes a struggle to be able to see any NHL playoff hockey. The condo's cable provider doesn't carry NBCSports (formerly Versus) or the NHL Network, so all we get is the NBC weekend day games, and we are usually out doing stuff during the day. It's a hockey wasteland down there.
We will go to a local sports bar sometimes when the Habs are in the playoffs. We did this for their Game 7 upset win over the Capitals a couple of years ago, and it was probably the most fun I ever had watching a sporting event on TV. The place was packed with Canadiens fans, and the atmosphere was incredible -- almost like being at the game. There were even long lines to the Men's Room between periods! :laugh:
Did you catch up on your sleep after that long game, Sam? I watched through the end of the first overtime, but couldn't stay awake any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks