What's new

NHL 2011-12 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I was hoping it would not come to this, but I can't help but think "here we go again!"

NHL lockout forces canceled games through Oct. 24

Considering who is heading the players' association, I would not be surprised if the entire season is cancelled once again! After all, this was the same guy that help cause a season to be halted midway, and cancellation of the '94 World Series.

What would make it unbelievable, is that it's going to happen twice now!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I figure that this will either get settled for games to begin by December 1st, or else the entire season will be lost. As to which way it goes, I think it is 50/50 on either outcome.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
From what I've been hearing lately on various sports radio programs, the current speculation is that the season may begin around Thanksgiving or (more probably) right after the Winter Classic.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well, I'm remaining cautiously optimistic at this point. I had been hearing that progress was being made. Let's get this settled, guys!
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8491955/nhl-lockout-league-union-talk-free-agency-drug-testing-not-money

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Since money is the biggest part of this stalemate, the only thing talking about everything except money will do is get those easier items off the table. It probably will not shorten the negotiations by much. At least they are talking, though.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Okay, I don't know all of the particulars, but if I were the players, I would take this deal and move on.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8512006/nhl-offers-players-50-50-split-hockey-related-revenue
I was very pleased to see that this deal is contigent upon the players agreeing to an 82-game schedule. I know it would have been unrealistic for the NBA to do something similar last year given the even more shortened timeline, but I lost some interest in the season (though not the game itself) when the schedule was reduced to 66 games.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
At least there is some movement on the money issue. With Fehr running the players union, though, I would be surprised to see the players accept this without a counter proposal.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott Merryfield said:
You may want to make a trip to the east side of the state and take in a Whalers game to get your hockey fix. :) Or, the Grand Rapids AHL team shouldn't be too far from you.
Scott,
Yes, the Griffins play their home games not too far from where I live. It kind of brings back some of those memories I have when I was following the Cape Cod Cubs (1970s) many years ago.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would think ticket prices for the Griffins would be quite reasonable. The most expensive ticket for the Whalers is $16 (we pay $12 for them as season tickets), and seats go for as little as $5 on their "5 dollar Fridays" promotion nights. It would cost you more in gasoline driving to the game. :laugh:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,
The ticket prices are quite reasonable, but as you alluded to above, the gasoline prices aren't. In any event, I'd like the channel I mentioned above because as exciting as some games can be, I really don't enjoy the hassle of traveling, parking, and especially rude crowds that can't control their language. It's especially annoying when I take some of my children to an event. It has grown worse over the years, and spoils the outing, unfortunately.
There was a recent survey on a sports radio show on whether local sports lovers would rather attend a game or watch it in the comfort of their own homes. The latter choice won this particular survey, although I'm certain that depending on the event and the locale, it could go the other way with another survey.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,
The ticket prices are quite reasonable, but as you alluded to above, the gasoline prices aren't. In any event, I'd like the channel I mentioned above because as exciting as some games can be, I really don't enjoy the hassle of traveling, parking, and especially rude crowds that can't control their language. It's especially annoying when I take some of my children to an event. It has grown worse over the years, and spoils the outing, unfortunately.
There was a recent survey on a sports radio show on whether local sports lovers would rather attend a game or watch it in the comfort of their own homes. The latter choice won this particular survey, although I'm certain that depending on the event and the locale, it could go the other way with another survey.
That is one of the nice things about the Whalers games. They promote a family atmosphere at the games, even making announcements before each game regarding this and asking to refrain from using any foul language. You see lots of families with young children at the games.
This has led to a couple of interesting "confrontations" with team officials from the Windsor Spitfires, who usually sit right behind us in the press box when their team visits. These guys (some former NHL goons) use pretty vulgar language, and I have turned around and asked them to watch their language on a few occasions. My wife once told me I was going to get punched, but I just told her it would be our early retirement plan -- I could sue the Spitfires. :laugh:
Anyway, no officials from any other team behave this way, so the Windsor jerks are the one exception to a very pleasant atmosphere. I even got Hall of Famer Doug Gilmour's autograph for a co-worker who is a big Leafs fan. Gilmour is the GM for Kingston. Chris Osgood and Kris Draper also can been seen in the press box at times scouting for the Wings. I got a picture of Draper with my wife's girlfriend earlier this season when she came to a game with us. We quite often have pleasant conversations with fans visiting from the opposing cities, too.
I do not know if the AHL games are similar, as I have not attended one. I do not remember any issues when attending Detroit Vipers games when they played at The Palace in the old IHL, though.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"My wife once told me I was going to get punched, but I just told her it would be our early retirement plan -- I could sue the Spitfires."
:laugh:
Scott,
I like that strategy!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The NHL has now cancelled all games through the end of November, and pulled their most recent offer to the players off the table. It also sound like they will be cancelling the Winter Classic by November 2nd if a deal is not imminent, as that is the last day the league can cancel and not be required to reimburse the University of Michigan for any expenses.
The two sides are not even talking. It looks very bleak for having any NHL hockey this season.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Winter Classic is officially cancelled. Between all the events at the two outdoor venues, it was estimated that 260,000 tickets would have been distributed -- including over 100,000 for the main game at The Big House.
I am almost certain that the entire season will be lost.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield /t/315438/nhl-2011-12-season-discussion-thread/180#post_3996816
The Winter Classic is officially cancelled. Between all the events at the two outdoor venues, it was estimated that 260,000 tickets would have been distributed -- including over 100,000 for the main game at The Big House.
I am almost certain that the entire season will be lost.

I just can't believe it could happen again! If this season is completely lost, I don't know how the NHL will recover this time around. And with Fehr involved, the dispute could spill into the 2013-14 season. Hopefully, I'm just overreacting and they get this thing settled soon.

As it has become an annual tradition (for me, at least) to watch the Winter Classic to kick off the New Year's, it will be very different (and weird) this time around, not having it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks