What's new

NHL 2010-11 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
With the season starting more than a month ago, I figure to start a new thread for the current season.

I got to go to a Flyers game last night, and saw them just dominate the Senators. They are just on a roll so far. I can see them making it back to the Cup Finals, but we'll have to wait for months to see if that will happen.

Discuss away, about your favorite team! :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I thought about starting a thread last week after Montreal beat Boston just to torment the Bruins fans.

The Habs have looked good so far. My biggest concern going into the season was goaltending, with the trade of Halak and committing to Carey Price. However, Price has looked very good so far. He has been very inconsistent in the past, so the jury is still out, but hopefully he is maturing into a solid goalie. It made sense for Montreal to deal Halak, since they were only going to sign one of the two restricted free agent goaltenders, Halak had more trade value, and the Habs had more invested in Price (a former high 1st round pick).

A question for the Bruin fans out there -- how has Tyler Seguin looked so far? I have only seen parts of a couple of Boston games, and he did not do anything noteworthy in either game. I am pulling for him, despite being a Bruin, since he's from the local OHL team. I watched him play a lot of hockey the past two years (we have season tickets). He seems like a good, level-headed kid.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
And Price looked great last night, shutting out the Flyers, who fired over 40 shots on goal.

thatreat

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
Leafs fan here! They had a winning streak, then a losing streak, but have won their last 2 games. :)

They've got a young, inexperienced team and sometimes make a lot of silly mistakes too. They're fun to watch though. For sure, the team will finish higher than last season.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by thatreat The good news is if they do finish as poorly as last year, at least this year's NHL Draft does not look to be as deep as last year, so it will not hurt as much giving that second #1 pick to Boston to complete the Kessell trade. They shouldn't lose out on another Tyler Seguin this time.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
RIP Pat Burns. On a lighter note, I was at the game Thursday to see my first natural hat trick, performed by Milan "He's a goon who will never score 20 goals" Lucic, who is on a pace for 40 this year. A 4-0 shellacking, a shutout, a great fight, and a natural. Hockey is the best spectator sport there is!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It's a big hockey weekend here in Detroit. My first place Habs are in town tonight for an Original Six matchup against the first place Wings, and tomorrow is the Big Chill game in The Big House with Michigan playing Michigan State. They are expecting a crowd of at least 109,000 -- the largest crowd to ever watch a hockey game.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The official announced attendance for the game at Michigan Stadium yesterday was 113,411. That was bigger than the largest football crowd for a Michigan game by a couple of hundred fans. The previous record hockey crowd was 77,803 at this year's world championship in Germany. It was also more than twice the crowd as last season's game between Michigan and Wisconsin at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison.

BTW, UM beat Michigan State 5-0.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
As I was reading an article about what Zdeno Chara did the other night (hat trick), I was thinking how many other Boston defensemen had achieved the feat. And then the answer was given later in the article. Two names came to mind immediately, but I had forgotten about the third person. I thought it might make for an interesting trivia question. Can anyone name three other defenseman that have had a hat trick for the Bruins?
He's just the fourth defenseman in club history with a hat trick, joining Hall of Famers Bobby Orr and Ray Bourque. Glen Wesley also did it. "That's pretty special company," he said. "I don't know if I deserve to be in that company." http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=310117001

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

As I was reading an article about what Zdeno Chara did the other night (hat trick), I was thinking how many other Boston defenseman had achieved the feat. And then the answer was given later in the article. Two names came to mind immediately, but I had forgotten about the third person. I thought it might make for an interesting trivia question. Can anyone name three other defenseman that have had a hat trick for the Bruins?
He's just the fourth defenseman in club history with a hat trick, joining Hall of Famers Bobby Orr and Ray Bourque. Glen Wesley also did it. "That's pretty special company," he said. "I don't know if I deserve to be in that company." http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=310117001

Well, I can, but I just read it on my Twitter stream this morning---other wise, no shot.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
David,

It was the third name in the list that I would not have been able to get without peeking. I'm guessing Jeff Gatie will know all three, though. :)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I knew all three, but the most amazing stat is that Bourque, Wesley and Chara did it once apiece. Orr, on the other hand, did it NINE times! Once that I saw in person at my first game. He also beat the tar out of Keith Magnuson. BEST PLAYER EVER!!!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
By the way, my part of the season tickets I split have been pretty good for me. Only saw one loss. But I've seen two shutouts, two blowouts, and two hat tricks (Bergeron's and Lucic's natural) . Missed big Z's last nite though.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Jeff Gatie

I knew all three, but the most amazing stat is that Bourque, Wesley and Chara did it once apiece.

Orr, on the other hand, did it NINE times!

Once that I saw in person at my first game. He also beat the tar out of Keith Magnuson.

BEST PLAYER EVER!!!

Jeff,

Nine times -- simply astonishing. BTW, you'll never ever get any argument from me regarding Orr's greatness.

You know, it's very possible that we saw the same game (you live, and me via television). I distinctly recall at least once where Orr beat the tar out of Magnuson. (This was during the days when S. Mikita, E. Nesterenko, J. Pappin, and T. Esposito played for the Black Hawks, I think.) Could this have been the same year that the Bruins defeated the Black Hawks en route to their Cup in 1970? I remember them defeating the Rangers, the Black Hawks, and then the St. Louis Blues. It's also possible that Orr had his way with Magnuson on more than one occasion, but I do seem to remember one fight more than any other between those two. It would be neat if we were watching the same fight on that day.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Orr would definitely be on the NHL's "Mount Rushmore" with Howe, Richard and Gretzky.

So, all you Bruins fans, how has Tyler Seguin looked this year? I've only seen a few Boston games, and he hasn't stood out in any of those. He's the one Bruin I am actually rooting for.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
It was in the playoffs in 1970, so it probably was the same game. I was 5 years old, my Dad got the tickets from a guy at work, and I distinctly remember him bringing the tickets home and showing me at the supper table. Don't remember much about the game, but through the years my father filled in the memories of the hat trick and fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks