What's new

NHL 2005-2006 Season Game On! Discussion (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Vancouver has got a pretty solid forward lineup now that the Sedins have a RW in Carter. Carter was essential to replace Sopel's hair. :)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for listing them (I had forgotten most because they are relatively forgettable). Every one of these guys (especially Huml - HUML??!!! What the heck does this guy have???) has been the second coming at one point or another, at least among folks who think they know hockey. One thing they all have in common is no size and no toughness to make up for it. I've got nothing against lack of size (Stan Jonathan anyone???), but you have to have balls of steel to play in the NHL if you are not big (St. Louis, Samsonov, Fluery, DiMaio, D. Sweeney, Gionta, etc.). I'm not talking about fighting, I'm talking about the ability to stick your nose in the sh*t and win a one on one battle. Each one of the guys you listed was great in the AHL, but going around prospects is a lot different from going up against a Pronger without shying away. The smaller stars have it in spades, but they are few and far between.

Edit: To be fair, some of those guys had average size, but they all lacked a bit of intestinal fortitude. Bergeron made it and stuck for one reason and one reason only - He was never, ever afraid to get physical and often rocked a bigger and older opponent through the boards. That and he played well beyond his years.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Well, it's for sure. The NHL on OLN. Sounds like OLN is going to make a pretty big effort to push the NHL with 2 games a week and some HDTV broadcasts...probably on INHD or something. They are going to bring the NHL Network to the US in the future. I will obviously have Center Ice but I'm very happy to see a network care about hockey.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
No Center Ice package for me. I get the Bruins in HD 90% of the time through INHD2/NESN and I am the type of fan that is a Boston sports fan first and a "sports" fan second. I love hockey and loved playing it, but like my father I couldn't care less about anything but Boston teams. I know people who can watch the playoffs after their team is eliminated and root for someone else. Not me. I even know people who root for the team that eliminated their favorite, because "I want my team to have been beaten by the best". Horse sh*t!! The only thing I wish for the team that eliminates the B's is to die in a fiery plane crash on the way to the next series!!!

I have watched the Stanley Cup finals for the pure sport, usually when the Bruins were 1 and out. I have NEVER watched the Yankees in the World Series, that is a given.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If Comcast puts some of the games on INHD I will be happy. The main attraction to ESPN covering the games (for me, at least) was the chance that some would be broadcast in HD. Hopefully they will not crop the picture, though, like they have done in the past for the NCAA hockey games shown on INHD. They chopped the score overlay off the top of the picture, making it impossible to keep up with the game while channel surfing.

EugeneR

Second Unit

You have to remember Comcast's big plan, after failing to buy Disney, is to build a sports network to rival ESPN. They overbid for the NHL just to make it untenable for ESPN to match (what's an extra $30-$40M when they just offered $66 Billion for Disney?). They will rename OLN to a more appropriate "sports-sounding" name, and the NHL's only the beginning. They have bid on NFL's Thursday/Saturday package, are planning to make a run at NASCAR, and if they succeed, they will be in at least as many homes as ESPN.

I think ESPN made a huge mistake in allowing a fledgling, but insanely rich, potential rival to get a foothold in their marketplace.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I can't TELL you how happy I am about OLN getting the NHL. Hopefully some of it will come through my workplace. (fingers crossed).

EugeneR

Second Unit

Actually, the NFL Thursday/Saturday package is up for grabs and Comcast has placed a bid. If they get it, they will be going head-to-head with ESPN very, very soon.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Is OLN the only channel that is going to show any games then? Besides, the center ice package and Canadian broadcasts. And whats the deal with OLN only showing 2 games per week. Am I looking at this wrong or is the NHL not getting any air time this season?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

The NHL has a contract with NBC, but they will only be showing 6 regular season games and a few playoff games. Even the first two games of the Stanley Cup Finals will not be on NBC -- those games will be on OLN. The deal includes no guaranteed money for the NHL -- the network will share any profits with the league after all expenses are covered. Considering the TV ratings disaster that is the NHL, I seriously doubt the league will see any money from this deal.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm still waiting on the TV schedule before getting cable (or something else) reinstalled. Hockey is about the only thing worth watching on TV.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I think it's too much to hope Portland Oregon is in the running still. :frowning:
They have teased us with an NHL team for too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks