What's new

NFL Playoffs (1 Viewer)

Steve Owen

Second Unit
It may be a sucky rule, but from the way it's worded (as they talked about it in the post-game) the ref made the right call.
Anyway, it took 25 years (?), but the Pats finally got back at the Raiders for a crappy call that kept them out of the playoffs way back when...
:) ;) :D :emoji_thumbsup: :) ;) :D :emoji_thumbsup:
Now for tomorrow... Go Ravens (to get the Pats another home game)! Go Packers (for the possibility of a Superbowl XXXI rematch)!
-Steve

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Now for tomorrow... Go Ravens (to get the Pats another home game)! Go Packers (for the possibility of a Superbowl XXXI rematch)!
YES! That's exactly what I was thinking watching the Pats-Raiders game! I would love to see the Pack whoop upon the Pats another time! :)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
The Raiders, although unable to "put the game away" were robbed by a faulty rule. Whether or not it was ruled correctly is a moot point; plain and simple, Brady fumbled. No fan, not even Patriot fans, could look upon that play and say it was a forward pass. It was clearly a fumble. Ce La Vie ! (sp?)

All I have to say is go Steelers because if the Pittsburgh Steelers take care of business at the new three rivers tomorrow, it will be a bloodbath against a pathetic Patriot team.

The Raiders should be proud of a great season. They ruled, even in defeat.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The only thing about that call in the Pats/Raiders game was that it blatantly went against a precedent call set earlier in the year. I forgot which game it was, but the QB's arm was moving forward, but he decided to pull the ball down, very similar if not exactly what Brady did. The refs looked at the replay and said, and I am almost quoting:

"although the QB's arm was moving forward, there was no INTENT to throw the ball (they were interpreting the pump fake or changing of the QB's mind to throw the ball) and thus it is a fumble."

There was a big stink from the team who fumbled, but the announcers and later in the post-game it was decided that it was the correct call. Brady's arm was already down at his chest with the ball (where's he going to throw it to, his feet?--that would be grounding anyway, loss of down) at the time he was hit. Hence if they follow the precedent set earlier in the year, it was a fumble.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Raiders lost the game because they were more interested in not losing the game instead of trying to win the game! I'm a big-time Raider fan but I'm probably one of the few that doesn't like Gruden's conservative play calling. The Raiders should have passed the ball to get that yard for the first down. Fake the run and a short pass would have done the job. If they done that successfully then New England would have never got the ball back, fumble or no fumble. They're an old team that frankly has little left in the tank. It's going to get worst before it gets better for Raider fans. There is little or no youth in their offensive skill positions. Also, they're defense leaves alot to be desired due to the lack of big plays or recovering turnovers. Last night, New England fumbled the ball and the Raider defenders were always late getting to the ball.

Crawdaddy

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Oakland was absolutely cheated. Woodson hit Brady after his arm was down and Brady actually was touching the ball with his other hand, drawn into him. Even the way the rule is worded it's still a bad call. It's pitiful that the game wasn't decided by the teams on the field, rather an official that may've been having flashbacks of Cleveland. :angry:

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
"Woodson hit Brady after his arm was down and Brady actually was touching the ball with his other hand, drawn into him."

EXACTLY RIGHT. This fact was clearly shown in one of the last angles shown on the TV screen. The refs are horrid this year. I just hope they dont rob another team in the playoffs.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
One call does not a game make.

The Raiders had ample opportunities to stop the Patriots, but failed to do so when they needed to. I'll admit, they got lucky on that call... and if it went the other way, it was game over. The rule is dumb and should be re-worded for next year. The O/T coin toss went their way too and there's anther goofy rule that should probably change.

How many times have your heard NFL coaches say "If you let a team hang around, a bad ball bounce or a bad call can change the outcome of the game." The Raiders did let the Patriots hang around. The Raiders got grossly out-coached in the 2nd half. And the Patrots got breaks when they needed them (including a couple of key fumble recoveries).

-Steve

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Well, now maybe Al will think twice before he sues the NFL again. :angry:
They got HOSED. That "rule" has never been mentioned before. I believe the refs made it up on the spot. Why?
I don't know, but, I've seen that call made the right way many times.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Weel, I have more to say.....

With the best secondary in the NFL I think the Eagles will cause lots of trouble for whoever wins int he Green Bay / St. Louis game. The Eagles pass defense is unreal this year.

And Mitchell keeps playing harder and harder.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am not a Raider fan (it's not allowed if you are a Steeler fan :) ), and I was pulling for the Pats. However, I was shocked when the refs overruled the fumble call and gave New England the ball back. Not knowing the wording of the rule, it looked like Brady had tucked the ball away (barely) before Woodson knocked it loose. Since it was so close, I thought it would stand due to "inconclusive evidence".
That being said, you still have to give the Pats a lot of credit. They still needed to drive through that blizzard for the tying field goal as well as the winning FG in overtime. They were able to move the ball in horrible conditions in the second half, while the Raiders seemed to get away from what worked on offense earlier in the game.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Well Eagles fan, we're emerging from the woodwork it looks like.

ANy updates on Troy Vincent's status?

With him out I don't think we stand a chance against STL or GB

all our blitzing schemes revolve around his coverage/blizting abilities.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I'm a big-time Raider fan but I'm probably one of the few that doesn't like Gruden's conservative play calling.
I agree. With 5 mins to go and the lead, Gruden tried to run the clock out against a tough defense. Well, without one play action pass, the Pats were able to stuff them. He should have thrown it, to keep the defensive backs and linebackers honest. The Raiders, even with all their offensive prowess, were not able to put games away going down the stretch.

The refs made a call reversal that changed the entire game. That sucks. The game was over without that call reversal. Did you see how elated the Raiders were when they made that play ? To have that play overturned, IMHO, totally deflated the defense. They thought the game was over and they had won, and rightfully so. The defense they played in overtime - it was bad, they just looked really out of it.

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
"Woodson hit Brady after his arm was down and Brady actually was touching the ball with his other hand, drawn into him."

EXACTLY RIGHT. This fact was clearly shown in one of the last angles shown on the TV screen. The refs are horrid this year. I just hope they dont rob another team in the playoffs.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
"Paging the Ravens offense. Paging the Ravens offense. Please report to Heinz Field." :laugh:
Does anyone think that Baltimore regrets releasing Trent Dilfer? Without him and Jamal Lewis, the offense is horrible. Grbac has been terrible all season. Pittsburgh, meanwhile, totally dominated the game. They moved the ball on the ground and in the air, and completely shutdown the Ravens offense. Even without Bettis, the game was a mismatch.

Jason P

Stunt Coordinator
Dilfer's gotta be smiling.:D
Ravens looked absolutely horrible. You can blame their offense, or lack thereof, but their vaunted D was nowhere to be found. Maybe next time Lewis and company talk trash, they'll actually back it up.
Here's to a Rams win.:emoji_thumbsup:

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Or, you could just atrribute the loss to the fine play of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Yeah, the Ravens are back, all right. :rolleyes
I love when teams like the Raisens talk shit and then get smacked. :D
Here we go Steelers, here we go!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks