What's new

NFL Playoffs (1 Viewer)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Finally the Raiders looked like their pre-December selves again. They were a hot team for the first 3/4 of the season. I hope they can keep up that intensity vs. the Pats and no major injuries from Jets game should help.

Bucs looked seriously out-matched against the Eagles. Its hard to win when your QB throws 4 picks, one for a TD.

oh and DanB, since when is picking the Rams to go all the way "going out on a limb" ? They are the hottest team in the NFL. :p)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
So, when is the press conference announcing Tony Dungy's firing? It's too bad, since he has given that team more success than any other coach in the history of the franchise. However, he has never been able to build an offense in Tampa. Not scoring an offensive touchdown in three straight playoff losses will be his final undoing.

The Raiders looked decent yesterday, but their defense still is not very impressive. They will have a much tougher time next week on the road in New England. There big advantage in that game is experience.

The Eagles looked good, but I don't think their offense can keep up with the Rams. Donovan McNab is their only impact player on offense. Their receivers and RB's are decent, but nothing that will scare a defensive coordinator.

The best matchup of the opening weekend is today in Green Bay. The Niners - Packers game should be a good one.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yup, although not as cold as NE, SF definitely has its fair share of really cold weather. They won't fall apart as easily in the NE cold.

Now defending Tom Brady and the Pats...that's another consideration altogether.

Still, glad to see Gannon / Brown / Rice have another go at it. How can a 39 year old receiver torch a playoff team like that? The man is amazing.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
I didn't see the plays live, but it sure seemed, from the replays, the Niners got robbed in Green Bay today. Two GB fumbles were overruled.

And if Garcia had led Owens on that pass in the 4th Q another 6 inches, it's be SF going to STL next week, not the Packers. That was a helluva recovery by the GB DB - he was beaten by at least 2 steps when the throw headed to owens, and he closed enough to tip it - and that was the ballgame.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see the plays live, but it sure seemed, from the replays, the Niners got robbed in Green Bay today. Two GB fumbles were overruled.
Allen,

The Niners played a good game but the simply fact is they got beat and it wasn't by the refs.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I watched the Packers - Niners game, and I agree with Patrick. San Fran got beat fair and square, despite the Packer coach's poor mathematics. Why Sherman went for a two point conversion at 15-7 was beyond my grasp. One point would have put them up by two scores. Instead, they fail on the two point attempt and the Niners tie it at 15-15 with a touchdown and two point conversion of their own. The amazing thing was that neither Summerall nor Madden were critical of the decision. I guess they flunked math in school, too. :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Scott, going for the two point conversion when you're up by 8 does make sense. If the opposing team scores a touchdown and a field goal, they will have the lead. With a successful conversion, it's a tie. It was a defensive move.

And yes, GB won fair and square. Favre stepped up under pressure, and the D-line took control of the game when they needed to.

I would also like to take this opportunity to point out that I correctly called all four games.

The real surprise of the weekend was Baltimore's running game. Where the heck did that come from? They are now a force to be reckoned with.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott, going for the two point conversion when you're up by 8 does make sense. If the opposing team scores a touchdown and a field goal, they will have the lead. With a successful conversion, it's a tie. It was a defensive move.
Mike, however, if you fail to make the two point conversion when up by eight, the other team is only down by one score instead of two. Kicking the extra point guarantees your opponent must score twice to beat you. The advantage of being up by two scores far outweights the advantage of guarding for a possible tie on those same two scores, considering the odds of converting the two point play.

I still think Sherman screwed up, and he was lucky the decision did not cost his team the game.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Scott's right. In the fourth quarter, you gotta go up by two scores. I was yelling at the television that they were "wrong, wrong, wrong!" Good thing it didn't cost GB the game.
Moving on, what did we learn from this weekend's playoffs? You gotta go with the dark jerseys! What was Miami thinking!? You play all year for homefield advantage so you can choose which jersey to wear. If Miami goes with the dark jerseys, they're off to Pittsburgh next week instead of the golf course. ;)
Rob

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The GB-SF was a pretty entertaining game for the most part. Someone needs to slap Antonio Freeman for starting to celebrate when he's on the 20-yard line, though. What a goof; he's lucky he didn't have the ball stripped since he was pretty much surrounded at the time.

Alas, I think the Packers will be done next week. Much as I'd like to see them beat the Bears AGAIN for the championship, I hold no hope of Favre winning in a dome. I may not even watch, it is likely to be so painful.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yee of little faith.

True, Favre doesnt play well in domes but.....Favre gets off on adversity, thrives on it. The more you tell him he has no chance to win, the harder and better he plays! You can sense when the Pack takes opponents lightly, the get embarrassed! But when they feel like underdogs and nobody thinks they will win, damn thats when they really step up. Before the 49er game I was saying that there is no way the Packers are going to beat the Rams at home...now I am not so sure. The defense really stepped up today as did the receivers. Favre looked truely amazing in the second half, again showing signs of being a superstar by raising the level of talent of those around him.

Favre is the ultimate competitor (ignoring the Strahan thing for a moment) in football. Go ahead, tell him to his face that he has no chance, and he will show you that your a liar. They still have to play to the Rams level, but I think that they have more than a slim chance to win!!

GO PACKERS!

Still Hopeful In Wisconsin

Matt

DanaA

Screenwriter
I've been a Rams fan since the 60's when Roman Gabriel was their quarterback. I'd love to see a Rams/Steelers super bowl. It would be added spice to have exRam Bettis trying to punish the Rams.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Rams are still the team to beat. They should take care of the Packers this weekend. As mentioned above, Favre does not play well in domes for some reason. The fast track in St. Louis benefits the Rams offense. If the game was at Lambeau the Pack would have a chance, but not indoors on carpet.

I think the Eagles will end Chicago's Cinderella season. McNab will be the difference. Both teams have good defenses. The Bears have a better running game, but McNab is a much better QB than Miller.

Pittsburgh proved that they can run on the Ravens, and their defense should shutdown Baltimore's pathetic offense. The Ravens will not benefit from having another opponent fail to show up, ala Miami. Hopefully it will not come down to a Kris Brown field goal attempt.

The Raiders - Pats game is the toughest one for me to call. I'll go with Oakland because of their experience. However, the Raiders defense could be their undoing. This should be the highest scoring game of the weekend.

Go Steelers!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
It's hard to gauge Baltimore's "resurgence" because I just don't know how good or bad Miami was this past season. I realize that they were 11-5, but I'm just curious if the regular season record was somewhat of a fluke.

Don't get me wrong, Baltimore is still a good team, but if they make it past Pittsburgh, I can't see the Ravens winning the Superbowl.

Go Steelers!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Matt,
If my naysaying helps inspire Favre to win in a dome, then I'll just keep on doing it! :D Brett, no way can you win in a dome. Prove me wrong!!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Coming off my perfect pick weekend (please, stop applauding), here are my tentative early pick, subject to change until Saturday morning:

I'll stick with the consensus and go with the Rams. I just don't think GB can handle the Rams' passing game.

The Steelers have a tough running game and home field advantage. However, this game is not that easy to call. The Ravens have been developing a running game, which makes them a formidable threat. I am not familiar enough with the Steelers' defense to call how they will handle it. Right now, I'm calling Pittsburgh, but I'm not as confident on this one.

Chicago has had a great season, and unlike most people, I have not been doubting them. However, I think it's time to bid them farewell. The Eagles are tougher and play tighter.

I'm going with the Pats over the Raiders. They just look too good.

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
My pics are:

Raiders (hope they go all the way)

Steelers (would like to see Baltimore in Oakland so the Raiders can get revenge for last year)

Rams (too tough on astro turf)

Chicago

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks