What's new

NFL 2012 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter C said:
And congrats to John Harbaugh for winning the Super Bowl, already surpassing Andy Reid in that regard. John Harbaugh was the special teams coach for the Eagles, before becoming head coach of the Ravens. I was at that home opener against the Saints in 2009. Right from the start, it was a horrible game to watch, as I did not think the Saints would be good that season. Little did I know, they would end up winning it all.
Walter, I'm curious to see if the Redskins will be the first home game opponent for the Eagles next season.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I think one thing about the Super Bowl needs to be mentioned, it was an entertaining game. Some of you older folks like me remember when year after year the game was a blow out. Fortunately over the last decade and then some the majority of the games have not been blow outs.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick_S said:
I think one thing about the Super Bowl needs to be mentioned, it was an entertaining game. Some of you older folks like me remember when year after year the game was a blow out. Fortunately over the last decade and then some the majority of the games have not been blow outs.
Yes, it ended up being an entertaining game, but it was very close to not being so. I was preparing to turn the game off before the power outage. Had the Ravens scored on their next possession to go up 35-6, I was going to bed. Instead SF finally stopped Baltimore, and scored a TD themselves to make it a two score deficit.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott Merryfield said:
Yes, it ended up being an entertaining game, but it was very close to not being so. I was preparing to turn the game off before the power outage. Had the Ravens scored on their next possession to go up 35-6, I was going to bed. Instead SF finally stopped Baltimore, and scored a TD themselves to make it a two score deficit.
Scott, I did nearly the same thing. In fact, when the halftime show came on (I very rarely watch those and didn't this year), we put on an episode of Little House On the Prairie. After that was over, I saw that it was a game again and watched it until its conclusion.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I'm firmly in the camp that the blackout was a tremendous help to the 49ers. They were a sinking ship and all that time gave them the opportunity to regroup.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick_S said:
I'm firmly in the camp that the blackout was a tremendous help to the 49ers. They were a sinking ship and all that time gave them the opportunity to regroup.
I agree, Patrick. After that kickoff return TD, momentum was clearly on Baltimore's side, and the 49ers were facing a 3rd and 14 situation when the lights went out. If SF had punted to the Ravens without having time to regroup during the blackout, I think Baltimore scores again, and at 35-6 the game would have been over. Of course, this is something we will never know for certain, but that game felt like a complete blowout before the delay.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I just listened to a CBS Radio sports minute and I would have to agree with the commentator that Jim behavior at the end of the game was pretty sad in that it took away from his brother’s greatest professional triumph. This loss must have been crushing for Jim’s ego because he has always been the star of the family. He was the one that had success in college and the NFL as a player and he is the one that had instant coaching success in the NFL. John on the other hand is as the commentator mentioned is a grinder. The one that has worked his way up the ladder to the ultimate success his profession has to offer. Look at their meeting on the field after the game. It appears that Jim certainly does not want to be there and it is far from a heartwarming meeting of one brother congratulating the other on his success.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Patrick_S
I would agree as well, as I was about ready to turn off the TV if the 49ers did not get a first down. But for some reason, I just decided to use it as background noise, and do some other things during the time.
Well, with the Ravens winning, at least that will spare us of the conspiracy theories that someone on the 49ers caused the blackout.
Originally Posted by Ockeghem
Walter,
I'm curious to see if the Redskins will be the first home game opponent for the Eagles next season.
Or the Chiefs. And I hate to think that, considering their head coach will have the extra motivation to stick it to his former team.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick_S said:
I just listened to a CBS Radio sports minute and I would have to agree with the commentator that Jim behavior at the end of the game was pretty sad in that it took away from his brother’s greatest professional triumph. This loss must have been crushing for Jim’s ego because he has always been the star of the family. He was the one that had success in college and the NFL as a player and he is the one that had instant coaching success in the NFL. John on the other hand is as the commentator mentioned is a grinder. The one that has worked his way up the ladder to the ultimate success his profession has to offer. Look at their meeting on the field after the game. It appears that Jim certainly does not want to be there and it is far from a heartwarming meeting of one brother congratulating the other on his success.
While I have a soft spot for Jim Harbaugh because he played QB for Michigan, he always has been a bit of a tool. So, this behavior is not that surprising, although it is disappointing. He really should have shown a little more class, considering his brother was experiencing the biggest moment of his professional life. The only reason I didn't turn the TV immediately after the game was over was because I wanted to see the two of them for the handshake at midfield. I expected a big hug and two choked up brothers. instead, it looked like two guys who hardly knew each other.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I considered starting a new thread, but thought I'd post this here instead. From the Remember the AFL site:

AFL fans and former players:

I'm sorry to report that a great sportswriter and member of the American Football League Hall of Fame, Larry Felser, passed away today. I'll miss Larry's intelligence and wit, and regret that he represents one of the last of his profession who could say "I remember the AFL." See the links below.

Buffalo News obituary.

http://www.remembertheafl.com/AFLHallofFamePhotos.htm#LarryFelser

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Here is another one from the Remember the AFL site. Some Chargers fans will remember this one for sure. :(
Sorry to report the passing of the Chargers' great tight end, Dave Kocourek.

Please see: http://www.remembertheafl.com/Chargers.htm#DAVEKOCOUREKHOF

and: http://www.marconews.com/news/2013/apr/25/nfl-former-tight-end-dave-kocourek-dies-of-brain/?partner=yahoo_feeds

I didn't start following the Boston Patriots until about 1966-67, but this name will be quite familiar to my father.

Larry Eisenhauer has reminded me that another AFL pioneer, Bob Yates, offensive tackle, guard and center for the Boston Patriots from 1960 through 1965 has passed away, on April 16th.
Bob was also on Syracuse's undefeated National Championship team in 1959, when he was a consensus first-team All-American.

See his obituary here.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Speaking of RIP, the Lions killed another draft last weekend. ;) First, they use the #5 overall pick on someone who has only played the sport for two years, and only started 9 games in his life. They follow that up by taking a DB with a bad knee, a OG with an eating disorder, and a punter from Appalachian State. :wacko:

The team needed a left tackle with Jeff Backus retiring, and there were three franchise tackles available. Detroit sat on their hands and watched Miami trade up to #3 from #12, only giving up a 2nd round pick to do so. The Lions could have beat that and got their LT. Instead, all three LT's went off the board, and they took a wild gamble on former soccer player from Africa who got cut from the BYU basketball team twice before ever playing football.

Any questions why this team has won a single playoff game since 1957?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
I am against expanding the NFL season by two games. That being said, if the league absolutely has to extend the season by two games, then I wouldn't mind those two extra games being added to the playoffs rather than to the regular season. For me, it is the lesser of two evils.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9301274/expanded-playoffs-18-games-mulled-roger-goodell

If an 18 game season means getting rid of some preseason games, I am all for it. With all the off season camps the teams hold, a four game preseason is completely unnecessary. However, the only way the NFL will give up two exhibition games is if the teams can still sell those tickets, which means two more regular season games.

I would expect the player's union to allow this only if they get an increased roster size (and therefore expanded salary cap), since the extra two games will take a toll on players health.

I do not like the idea of watering down the playoffs by adding more teams, though. The dividing line between playoff and non-playoff teams seems balanced right now -- adding more will only start letting some crappy teams into the post season.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
I see Brian Urlacher retired.
Very Good linebacker for the Bears.
Might be in the Hall of Fame in a few years.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I received this Email this morning from the AFL site that I frequent.

Hello, American Football League fans and former players:

You probably know that I've been trying (fruitlessly) to get NFL Films to release a reasonably-priced DVD set of Full Color Football ~ The History of the American Football League.

Now, through the magic of youtube, the complete five-hour show can be seen on-line. You don't have to google for it, just go to my new page at http://bit.ly/FullColorFootball

As I've previously noted, this is a great show, surprisingly honest about the AFL (by NFL Films standards), but I wish they had made it twice as long. Many of the AFL's great athletes were given short shrift, or not even mentioned.

Regardless, it remains the best self-contained record of our favorite league's history. I wanted to make this available, especially for former AFL players and their families, who may not have gotten Showtime or other pay-per-view venues that showed the series.

AFL vets, please show this to your children and your children's children, and tell them that in playing for the AFL, you were part of the genesis of modern Professional Football.

AFL fans, please enjoy the series. I'm thinking of starting a forum for critiquing each episode: what you liked, what you didn't like, what was NFL b.s., what you would have liked to have seen, etc. Let me know what you think of the forum idea.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Hall of Famer Deacon Jones has passed away at the age of 74. He played in the era before the sack was an official statistic, but he had 26 unofficial sacks in one season, which tops the official NFL record. He also had 24 sacks the following year -- and these were during the old 14 game season.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Another of my sports heroes from my childhood has passed away. My family and I have been watching a lot of Little House On the Prairie these days. I'm sure most know that Merlin Olsen was also a former NFL player (and Los Angeles Ram). He and Deacon Jones were teammates for a time, and made up two of the "Fearsome Foursome," along with Roosevelt Grier and Lamar Lundy.I'll be watching an episode of The Brady Bunch tonight, since my children love the show and since Jones was in one episode. Incidentally, Jones references Rosie Grier in that season-two episode (The Drummer Boy).

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/05/sports/football/deacon-jones-fearsome-nfl-defensive-end-dies-at-74.html?_r=0

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Correction: It is the coach (Jones' friend in the episode, titled The Drummer Boy) who references Grier, Joe Namath, and Joe Frazier in the episode, not Deacon Jones.

Users who are viewing this thread