What's new

NFL 2010 Off-season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield /forum/thread/292446/nfl-2009-regular-season-discussion-thread/540#post_3663492
Please not NE...please! And not the AFC West either.

An end of era for the Chargers. I consider Dan Fouts and LT the two greatest Chargers. In addition to the uniform he leaves the franchise with something else in common with Fouts: no ring and not even an appearance in the SB. LT's departure underscores how the franchise has wasted the talent they've had. They had a hall of fame running back (7 of those years were prime) and were loaded with other talent and couldn't even get to SB...pathetic.

I was reading the SD local paper and one columnist was sorry that LT had made some of the comments he made since the end of the season, notably, that there were players on the team not committed to winning. Well, duh!

I got to thinking...he'll sign with another team for less money than his current contract. Why is there this unwritten rule that you can't do that with your current team? I know this is the way things are done, but if $$ are why he's no longer a charger, why can't the two sides determine his current worth and pay him that?

I've been reading the SD paper, and never is it written that the Chargers don't want him, just that they can't justify paying him what his contract calls for.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
In a press conference today, LT talked about his release. Of note is the following:

Tomlinson said he didn’t know where his career would resume, but he made one promise: It won’t be in Oakland. “The Raiders are pretty set in the backfield,” he said. Then, with a smile, he added, “Even if they weren’t, I wouldn’t become a Raider.”

That's my LT. I hope you get your ring.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Tonight, LT has officially signed with New England. I figured that this might happen. I only hope he does really well there.

Just kidding, Johnny. ;)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Ockeghem /forum/thread/292446/nfl-2009-regular-season-discussion-thread/540#post_3664243

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
WE'RE NUMBER 1! WE'RE NUMBER 1! YEEAAH!

Just watched the NFL Channel program The Top 10 Draft Busts. Starting with number 10 they are:
Andre Ware/David Klinger
Heath Schuler
Lawrence Phillips
Art Schlichter
Andre Bruce
Tim Couch
Rick Mirer
Brian Boswirth
Tony Mandarich
and
the top draft bust is.....Ryan Leaf!

The program hedged its bets with Boswirth and Mandarich indicating they did have some decent years but were busts because they never lived up to the hype. The program pointed out that Boswirth personally manufactured and profited from a lot of the hype.

It seems how big a bust you are is quite subjective. Ware, Klinger, Schuler, Schlichter all were big busts and one might ask why is Leaf the bigger bust? Not me, I'll take the number one spot when I can get it.

In offseason news, the Chargers has allowed Darren Sproles to be an unrestricted free agent. If they had given him the franchise tag they would have had to pay him more than 7 million bucks. Too much for a part time RB. They still hope to sign him to a long term deal, but with unrestricted free agents in short supply, that may not be possible. So the Chargers may be without their starting backfield.

The Chargers also plan to make 1st $ 3rd tender offers to Marcus McNeil, Shawne Merriman, Vincent Jackson, and Malcom Floyd. If another team signs them the Chargers get a 1st and 3rd pick in the next draft unless they negotiate a different deal with the team. Why would you do that, negotiate for less than you are guaranteed?

I've read the Chargers only have 6 picks in the draft. What is the normal number to have?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Any list of draft busts that does not include Charles Rogers is invalid. He was the #2 overall pick, was more interested in smoking dope and drinking than playing football, and the next player taken was Andre Johnson. And it's not as if the Lions didn't know about Rogers' history of substance abuse at Michigan State before picking, either. This was Millen's worst draft pick -- and that is saying a lot!

I predict the Chargers sign Thomas Jones to patch their running back situation. The Jets will be releasing him this week. Seems like a great short-term fit to me.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

I predict the Chargers sign Thomas Jones to patch their running back situation. The Jets will be releasing him this week. Seems like a great short-term fit to me.
So, "if you can beat 'em, join 'em"?

I'm sure we all have our favorite busts, but I'm sticking with "WERE NUMBER 1!" Hey, I'm desperate.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Cromartie is probably on his way out. The Lions have expressed little interest in him, citing that they are moving in a different direction. As good as he is, I don't think they want the baggage. Hey, I wonder if he knows where New England is? :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The asking price for Cromartie seems very low. The rumors with the Lions were a 5th round pick and possibly Maurice Morris -- the NFL equivalent of a stick of gum and a used jock strap. If Detroit could pry him loose for a 5th round pick, I think it would be worth the small gamble -- his contract is not bad, either. If he doesn't work out, there is very little lost.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I wonder if the Lions are going to take one of two defensive gems -- or will they put their picks together in a package and trade them away? Are they going to try to bolster their offensive line? Defensive line? For my own part, I'd like to see Ndamukong Suh in a Lions uniform. This could happen.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think the Lions are locked into either Suh or McCoy with their first pick. The Rams at #1 overall are the swing pick. They could take either DT, a QB, or trade down with Tampa at #3 and still get their QB (if the Bucs have a hard on for Suh).

Trades at the top of the draft are pretty rare anymore, as teams do not want to pay that much money to an unproven player. The Lions are paying Stafford more than the Pats are paying Brady -- that is just insane. This should get fixed in the next contract with the players.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The Chargers reversed themselves and made a 1 & 3rd tender to Sproles. As long as he's not signed by another team (unlikely) he'll get paid over 7 million next season. Not bad for someone who ran from scrimage less then 100 times last season. The Chargers are finding it difficult to trade Cromartie because he's only got one season left on his contract. No one wants to give up value for one year. Detroit is apparently no longer interested.

And they released Jamal Williams. I hate to see him go. Apparently the Chargers don't think he can contribute anymore. He missed virtually the entire 2009 season due to injury.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Wow, that is a lot of money to tie up in Sproles, a part time running back and kick returner. I do not see any way another team offers him a contract, having to give up a 1st and 3rd round pick, plus paying him that kind of money. That is a surprising move by the Chargers.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Even the Chargers might not end up paying him that 7mil. The Chargers, or any team, can strike a long term deal that works out to less than that per season. Of course, "any team" must reimburse the Chargers with a 1st and third round pick in this draft in addition to what they pay Sproles. The 7mil is only due if there is no contract worked out.

This tells me one of two things: they really expect to work out a deal or they are really trying to put it all together for this coming season. I think it's the former, the Chargers can't really be planning on paying Sproles 7mil.

They've made 3&1 tenders to 4 players this coming season and have other players who need to get contracts renewed. Antonio Gates for one. This may be the last season they have this core group together.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just read the Chargers have traded Cromartie to the Jets for a 3rd round pick in 2011 which could become a 2nd rounder depending on playing time.

I say good riddance. Cromartie had developed an attitude that football was a non-contact sport.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks