What's new

NFL 2009 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The Eagles won handily, but I worry about McNabb's injury. And I look forward to going to next week's Eagles game, the home opener.

TO makes his Bills debut tonight. He'll be back to his antics quickly when his team gets buried by the Patriots.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Dolphins looked pretty terrible against the Falcons. Guess the pats will have absolutely no competition for their division.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I wonder why they couldn't cast it? Maybe I don't know enough about this type of injury and that's not possible.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

^^^

Maybe the Jets? ;)

I just read about Urlacher's season-ending surgery. Man oh man....

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=4472175
The Jets defense certainly looked good yesterday. Could they mirror what Baltimore did last year -- a solid defense protecting a rookie QB and getting the team to the playoffs?

Losing Urlacher really hurts -- he was the leader of that defense. If Chicago's offense is really as mediocre as they looked last night, it will be just a two team race in the NFC North.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by James L White

I imagine Bengals fans are all on suicide watch
nuts!!!!!!!!!!!
never seen an ending in the NFL like that!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's two seasons in a row the Broncos have received an early season Xmas gift. Sheesh!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
That was some comeback by the Patriots. Why on earth McKelvin ran the ball out, I'll never know. I was thinking that he would down it, and with three timeouts, the Pats might be able to get the ball one last time with around thirty or so seconds to play.

I loved the older uniforms on both the Bills and Patriots tonight. That was a treat, and it's much appreciated from this AFL/NFL football fan. :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm still stunned at how Peterson just made the Browns look like they were high schoolers. It's not that you rack up the yards, it's how you rack them up. There were plays there where he just looked like an NFL player on the field with High Schoolers. He flicked Wright off him like he was nothing.

Yeesh.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d81291f3d/WK-1-Can-t-Miss-All-day-Peterson

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I ddin't mean to watch both Monday night games, but I did get to see some big plays from both games, and that Pats-Bills game was a big head-scratcher at the end, but give the Pats credit for making things happen, and escape with an improbable win.

The Raiders didn't look hapless, and gave the Chargers some competition. Is this the year the wheels fall off for LT?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"The only question is whether the offensive line can keep Brady protected."

Scott,

That is a concern. But for me, a greater concern is the Patriots' defense, especially in the secondary. (Any chance Palomalu would come to New England? ;) ) I don't know many of the new guys, and remain unconvinced that they have a solid, let alone a first-rate, defense. They were fourth (I think -- it may have been third) in defense during their 16-0 regular season two years ago. Now if they had a defense like Pittsburgh and maybe one or two other teams....

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield ">[/url]

The Bills really gave that game away at the end. I agree that McKelvin screwed up by not downing the kickoff. Buffalo could have ran down a little and made the Pats use up two time outs. He at least should have went down quickly once he hit the 20 yard line and had got the game clock to under two minutes (eliminating the two minute warning timeout).

Brady looked a little rusty early in the game, but seemed to get in a groove in the 2nd half. The Pats offense is going to move the ball this year. The only question is whether the offensive line can keep Brady protected.

Johnny must have been nervous in the 2nd game.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

"The only question is whether the offensive line can keep Brady protected."

Scott,

That is a concern. But for me, a greater concern is the Patriots' defense, especially in the secondary. (Any chance Palomalu would come to New England? ;) ) I don't know many of the new guys, and remain unconvinced that they have a solid, let alone a first-rate, defense. They were fourth (I think -- it may have been third) in defense during their 16-0 regular season two years ago. Now if they had a defense like Pittsburgh and maybe one or two other teams....
Yes, the Pats' defense looked shaky. They lost a lot of experience in the offseason, and losing Mayo to injury yesterday certainly didn't help the situation.

Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

I ddin't mean to watch both Monday night games, but I did get to see some big plays from both games, and that Pats-Bills game was a big head-scratcher at the end, but give the Pats credit for making things happen, and escape with an improbable win.

The Raiders didn't look hapless, and gave the Chargers some competition. Is this the year the wheels fall off for LT?
The injuries certainly seem to be piling up for LT. He's reaching that dreaded age where a running back's production usually falls off a cliff. It's something to be concerned about in San Diego. Sproles is an exciting back, but I do not know if he is capable of carrying a full-time load at the position.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Jim_C

I was at the Pats game last night and let me tell you, walking out of the stadium just about everyone was smiling from ear to ear. At the same time I heard a LOT of people saying the Pats stole the game, which is certainly the case. What the hell was McKelvin thinking taking the kickoff out? It was an awesome comeback but Buffalo deserved that game.
I agree. I'm a Pats fan, but they didn't deserve to win that game. Fortunately for them, the Bills apparently wanted to win even less than the Pats.

And I'm still scratching my head about the non-touchdown touchdown that was overturned in the Raiders-Chargers game. I always thought you only had to catch and control the ball long enough to get two feet down in the end zone. Lots of guys drop the ball immediately after the catch, or drop it just as they cross the goal line. Are those no longer touchdowns, either? How many seconds does one have to hold it while in the end zone?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

As for my Chargers, I don't recall such a discouraging win. Instead of a rejuvenated LT, it's the same old thing and he even gets hurt. It's the same old pass rush (non-existent). If games were won with stats, the Raiders were probably the winner. Even with a mediocre QB, they moved the ball so easily against the Bolts. If the Raiders had even a veteran, retread QB in there, they win the game.

I'm not coming down on LT, just coming around to the fact that the greatest Charger ever has probably seen his best days and the drop off in his production has declined and I'm worried it's headed for a cliff. You will never find me booing him, just shaking my head and wishing for his glory days to return.

The Chargers are notorious slow starters under Turner and it would not surprise me to see them lose at home to Baltimore next week. It would not surprise me to see them as underdogs. As the week goes one we'll find out more about the injuries. It was an expensive win.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

As for the Pats, how many times do you see them lose because they do something stupid? I don't think there's another team in football that is more mentally prepared to play. They can take table scraps and turn a loss into victory. How many teams would have tried an on sides kick there at the end, even though it's such a low percentage play. Not the Pats, they kick it away and the Bills don't have the brains to hold on to the ball. Perhaps the Pats didn't deserve to win, but neither did the Bills. Why wouldn't a coach tell the kick returner to take a knee if the ball gets into the endzone? And why wouldn't he also tell him to make sure he protects the ball? I've got a hunch that neither message was delivered.

Johnny,

First, congratulations on the road win last night. I really believed that the Raiders were going to take the game after that semi-bomb for a touchdown with minutes to play by Oakland. But give Rivers credit -- his nine-play drive was very, very impressive in the closing minutes.

You're right about the Patriots decision to kick it away. And what's even more compelling to me is that Brady marched down the field, and although he was picking up first down after first down, he continued to milk the clock. I believe he knew that the Patriots would score. And truth be told, after the fumble by McKelvin, I immediately thought the Patriots had the game won as well.

I've believe you're right about certain messages not having been delivered. On the radio last night, the post-game announcers were laying the blame on two parties: 1) whomever was responsible to tell McKelvin not to run it out; and 2) the defensive coordinator for playing the "Prevent" allowing the Patriots to close to within five (24-19). He continually said that the 'Prevent Defense" is great -- it prevents you from winning the game. When the Bills did not play the Prevent Defense (and turned the heat up), they seemed to have the Patriots on their heels a bit.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Johnny,

First, congratulations on the road win last night. I really believed that the Raiders were going to take the game after that semi-bomb for a touchdown with minutes to play by Oakland. But give Rivers credit -- his nine-play drive was very, very impressive in the closing minutes.

You're right about the Patriots decision to kick it away. And what's even more compelling to me is that Brady marched down the field, and although he was picking up first down after first down, he continued to milk the clock. I believe he knew that the Patriots would score. And truth be told, after the fumble by McKelvin, I immediately thought the Patriots had the game won as well.
How the heck does someone get so open in that situation. Cromartie, who was so great as a rookie, apparently is going to stink this season down the drain like he did last year. He has the physical tools, but apparently cannot keep his head in the game. I do agree, one heckuva game-winning drive.

"I believe he knew the Patriots would score" and so did everyone in the stadium and everyone watching. Once they recovered the fumble, it was inevitable. They're just too smart and too good.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

How the heck does someone get so open in that situation. Cromartie, who was so great as a rookie, apparently is going to stink this season down the drain like he did last year. He has the physical tools, but apparently cannot keep his head in the game. I do agree, one heckuva game-winning drive.

"I believe he knew the Patriots would score" and so did everyone in the stadium and everyone watching. Once they recovered the fumble, it was inevitable. They're just too smart and too good.

I'd love to have Cromartie on our team. It's one of the positions where we (IMO) could use some help. How I long for the days of players with the calibre of a Hayes (with or without stickum') and/or Haynes.... I believe that cornerback and safety are so difficult to play well, especially with the rules that are now in place.

It looked to me like miscommunication between the safety and cornerback (I think). They were jawing a little bit after the play, but nothing serious.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I would be shocked if the Chargers were not the underdog next week. I may have spoken too soon about chargers "easily" winning their division and the patriots lacking competition in their own division. I still think the chargers will win their division, but superbowl bound (as so many have said) doesn't appear to be so after last nights game. But, it was only game one, 15 more to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks