What's new

NFL 2008 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,

Sorry, I needed to be more clear. I wasn't speaking of OT rules per se, but rather SDRanger's 'too long' statement, and to changes to the game itself as a result of that Chiefs - Dolphins game. Could it be that NFL games were never again to be played on Christmas Day as a result of that game? I recall hearing something about this over the past two or so years. Thanks for your input, though. :emoji_thumbsup:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Exactly. In recent years the NFL has changed the rules to reduce the importance of the place kicker. In OT, though, most teams play close to the vest and just try to get close enough for a field goal.

I too remember the KC/Dolphins game, it was a game for the ages and had one of the all time great individual performances in a losing cause. I believe that game led to near riots on the part of wives and mothers across the nation as it interfered with Xmas celebrations. I know I was glued to the tv set.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
College overtimes may be exciting, but they are still a gimmick that takes away some very important aspects of the game -- field position and kick return teams.

The NFL system still comes down to playing real football -- the team that loses the coin flip just needs to stop the other team on defense.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
And if the don't stop them, than the other team's defense is never tested. To me, it's inherently unfair. Nothing can be perfect, but giving both offenses a shot would be a move in that direction, IMHO.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The last time Christmas fell on a Sunday was 2005, guess what? They played two regular season games that day.

I'm certain the next time Christmas lands on a Sunday the NFL will play at least a couple of games.

NFL has in the past moved playoff games to Monday in order to avoid playing them on Christmas but besides 2005 there have been other times that they have played regular season games on Christmas.

Edit: In fact while I doubt it's an all inclusive list I know that that the NFL has played games on Christmas, wheather it fell on Saturday, Sunday or Monday in the following years: 93, 94, 95, 99, 00, 04, 05 and 06.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Patrick,

Thanks for the information. Perhaps it had only to do with playoff games, which you've cleared up as well. Much appreciated. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Let the Divisional games begin! This is my favorite NFL weekend of the year. The pretenders (apologies to the resurgent Dolphins and Falcons) have been sent home and the real playoffs begin.

Last week I liked all visitors, this week I like all home teams. Still, I'm watching out for dark horses PHI and BAL.

For now, I don't have any bold picks the rest of the way. I hope I get good a feeling for somebody before my pre-Super Bowl jaunt to Vegas. It'll be hard to top my wins of last year, but I'd like to try. :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Tennessee made too many mistakes, plus the loss of Chris Johnson really hurt their offense. The Titans made three trips into the red zone that resulted in only 3 points -- that was the difference in the game. Those two fumbles were killers.

I just turned on the Cards - Panthers game after we finished watching a movie, and am shocked by the halftime score. I figured this would be the one blowout this weekend, but never expected Arizona to be on the winning side.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Titans and Panthers...talk about great pretenders.

What the hell is wrong with Jake Delhomme? He is aware this is a playoff game, right, and not some Pop Warner tryout?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I too am shocked by the Cardinals - Panthers result. I thought that the Panthers were going to have a buy week today. ;) I was very wrong.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Much credit is due the Ravens and Cards, but it was stunning to see legitimate #1 and #2 seeds self destruct like that.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Delhomme was brutal yesterday, and you have to think he 's played his last game for Carolina. I've never been impressed with Jake, and this has not been a good year for him (despite Carolina's excellent record). The Panthers need to look for a new QB and not waste this good team on Delhomme. The window to win will close quickly.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This could become the lowest rated Super Bowl in the last 2 decades if the Cards vs. Ravens match-up materializes.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
The smart money was on the "birds" this week.

Strategic error of the year: Giants have 1st and 5 with ~2 min. left in the half. The run is working and they've got a chance to beat on the blitzing defense while burning virtually all of the remaining time. The call? Three passes in a row, settle for a FG and leave enough time for Philly to get the 3 points back.

In the end, though, it was just too much Eagle defense and too much McNabb for the Giants to overcome. The less said about Eli, the better.

No "birds" in the nightcap, can one home team hold serve?

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I have to admit, I am shocked the Eagles have made it this far. I didn't even expect them to have a winning record, when the rest of the NFC East got off to a great start.

I guess this is their year, with all the things going right for them, starting with making the playoffs with a lot of help.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I'm 2-1 thus far, and it looks like it will be 3-1. I'm thrilled that the Eagles defeated the Giants, and that the Titans are out. But I'm also quite surprised that the Panthers put on such a horrible showing. The AFC and NFC championship games should be very interesting.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's so frustrating and stressful being a Steeler fan. Their offense sputters most of the time (up the middle, 2 yards; up the middle, lost 2 yards; WTF is with the up the middle play?) and they seemingly leave so many easy points on the field (4 tries from the 1-yard line and they can't get it done...oh, that's right, they mostly ran that pointless up the middle run play). On two different series, Roethlisberger had wide open receivers in the end zone, but he didn't throw to them either time. I'm still undecided if he's oblivious or just plain dumb.

But at least the Chargers have been sent packing once again. It just took an extra week to get it done. And has there ever been any other NFL game where one team only had 17 seconds of possession in a quarter? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks