What's new

NFL 2008 Fantasy Football Advice Thread (1 Viewer)

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I had a mediocre draft on Sunday in our 16 team league, with the crowning moment when I drafted Chris Brown in the 10th round from the IR. D'oh! I had updated my pre-draft rankings on ESPN to put him at the bottom, having read that day he was put on IR, but then when we went to the draft table, it showed my old rankings.

Here are my players and the pick # I took them at:

Marion Barber (1.13)
Braylon Edwards (2.3)
Torry Holt (3.13)
Lendale White (4.3)
Kurt Warner (5.13)
Todd Heap (6.3)
Giants D/ST (7.13)
Bulger (8.3)
Javon Walker (9.13)
Chris Brown (10.3) - D'Oh
Sammy Morris (11.13)
James Jones (12.3)
Kris Brown (13.13)
Jacob Hester (14.3)

I'm taking a bit of a risk with my QBs, gambling that Warner stays healthy and that Bulger returns to form after a terrible year in 2007 but they could post big numbers if they have a good year. My first two picks should post great numbers at their positions though so I am happy with them.

Our league starts 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 RB/WR Flex, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Kicker, 1 D/ST.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Chris,

I like your first four picks. You may have taken Warner too high in the 5th round, though. Also, in case you didn't know, James Jones is injured and expected to miss a few weeks.

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris

Yeah, Warner was a bit of a gamble and I would have liked to have taken him later, but there had already been a run on quarterbacks by that point and he was one of the only ones left that has the potential to bring decent points every week considering the strong receivers he has and his ability to throw touchdowns (when he's healthy). ESPN gave him a pretty strong grade on the day of my draft due to his showing in the preseason and his high numbers at the end of last year. If he stays healthy, it could pay off nicely. If he gets hurt, then I have to hope that Bulger rebounds this year.

I won't be starting Jones for a few weeks, but I also read really positive things about him from ESPN so I thought it would be a nice late draft pickup with some value down the stretch.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Ok guys, I have two leagues this year, here is my first one, been in it for 10 years: Portis was my keeper by the way.

1. (7) Clinton Portis RB
2. (14) Randy Moss WR
3. (27) T.J. Houshmandzadeh WR
4. (34) Jamal Lewis RB
5. (47) Jason Witten TE
6. (54) London Fletcher DL
7. (67) Jared Allen DL
8. (74) Edgerrin James RB
9. (87) Ray Lewis DL
10. (94) David Garrard QB
11. (107) David Thornton DL
12. (114) Nate Clements DB
13. (127) Bob Sanders DB
14. (134) Bobby Engram WR
15. (147) Shawne Merriman DL
16. (154) Chad Greenway DL
17. (167) Fred Taylor RB
18. (174) Stephen Gostkowski K
19. (187) Bernard Berrian WR
20. (194) Jay Cutler QB

This is the HTF league I am in, oh I was highly inebriated during this draft:

1. (3) Brian Westbrook RB
2. (22) Tony Romo QB
3. (27) Marques Colston WR
4. (46) Fred Taylor RB
5. (51) Calvin Johnson WR
6. (70) Jeremy Shockey TE
7. (75) Deuce McAllister RB
8. (94) Donald Driver WR
9. (99) Jon Kitna QB
10. (118) Patrick Crayton WR
11. (123) Reggie Brown WR
12. (142) Ricky Williams RB
13. (147) Seattle DEF
14. (166) Jason Hanson K
15. (171) Zach Miller TE

Well, what do you guys think?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ok, here is my draft from a 13-team league (why 13 I don't know, especially since we left out someone who had committed to play) where I had the last pick:

1. (13) Marion Barber, RB, Dallas
2. (14) Braylon Edwards, WR, Cleveland
3. (39) Carson Palmer, QB, Cincinnati
4. (40) Thomas Jones, RB, New York Jets
5. (65) Chris Cooley, TE, Washington
6. (66) Lee Evans, WR, Buffalo
7. (91) Kevin Smith, RB, Detroit (we drafted before the Johnson pick-up)
8. (92) Jon Kitna, QB, Detroit (I know...two Detroit picks in a row...)
9. (117) Issac Bruce, WR, San Francisco
10. (118) Donald Lee, TE, Green Bay
11. (143) Stephen Gostkowski, K, New England
12. (144) Steelers D
13. (169) Bryant Johnson, WR, San Francisco
14. (170) Ahman Green, RB, Houston
15. (195) J.T. O'Sullivan, QB, San Francisco (too many SF players, but they may score some points)
16. (196) Jeff Reed, K, Pittsburgh

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You guys taking all the Lions will be doomed. :laugh:

Brandon, I like your money league team. You're a little thin at WR after your top two guys (Engram is hurt), but if that's the biggest criticism, you're in good shape. Since you have Edge, you may want to see if Tim Hightower is available to stick on the end of your bench. I just drafted him at 2.01 of the rookie draft in my dynasty league.

David, that's a well-balanced team. I've never been a big Thomas Jones fan, but the Jets offensive line has improved, so he could work out for you as RB #2.

Here's my first starting dilemma for the season:

Roddy White vs. Detroit or Coles vs. Miami?

White is going against a suspect defense, but has a rookie QB making his first NFL start. Meanwhile, Coles has not played in the preseason so it's unknown how his chemistry with Favre will be -- Brett and Cotchery have looked in-synch.

My only other choices would be Ginn vs. the Jets, Ray Rice vs. Cincy (if McGahee doesn't play), Felix Jones vs. Cleveland, or Sydney Rice vs. Green Bay.

Right now I have White in the lineup, which is:

QB: Rothleisberger
RB: LT
WR: Colston
Flex: Jones-Drew, Graham, White
TE: Vernon Davis

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I actually like Sidney Rice for you there as opposed to anything else, Coles would be my next choice.

Engram getting hurt the day after my draft miffed me a bit, but I think Berrian might turn out to be a good fill in. We will see. I'm hoping Portis is better this year than last and gets some TD's, starting tonight.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I wouldn't start White right now because I think Ryan is going to struggle mightily at the beginning and I think Detroit's defense will be better (
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
). I actually agree with Brandon on this one. I'd go with Rice or if he is practicing at full-speed, I'd go with Coles.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Wow, I didnt even know McGahee was possibly out. I might have to reconsider my lineup.
Here are my choices:
LT
Ray Rice
M.Jones-Drew
Kevin Smith (DET) vs ATL
Welker
Dwayne Bowe
Coles
Donald Driver
McAllister
...and 0.5 PPR.
I am thinking LT, Jones Drew, Welker, Smith and Bowe.
But Rice...hmmm....or Smith vs Atl. dunno.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I have not been impressed with Detroit's running game -- the offensive line couldn't block a group of senior citizens. If McGahee is out, I'd roll the dice with Rice over Smith.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
OK I've got these WR choices for this weekend:

Roddy White
Andre Johnson
TJ Housh
T.O.

I'm playing T.O., but can't decide on playing Roddy White or not. I'm not sure how strong the Lion's backfield is, but I also don't know about the Falcons' QB either. I'll most likely be playing 3 WR's because I've got some good ones. My RB's are Frank Gore, Ricky Williams and Edgerrin James. Any pointers?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Don't over-think your lineup, Aaron. Owens, Andre Johnson and Houshman should all be every week starters, barring injury or byes. I'd love to have those three receivers on my roster.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
Yeah you're probably right. I also have Kenny Watson for RB but don't plan on playing him unless Chris Perry(?) gets hurt and Watson starts rocking.

Alex-C

Screenwriter

hmmm....I would love to start Rice and get some points because everyone ridiculed me for picking him and he's got a burst. kinda reminds me of Maurice.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Alex, nobody should have ridiculed you for taking Rice. He looked good in the preseason, and with McGahee having recent knee surgery Rice should be drafted in almost every league.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I saw the same in the preseason and I may have said this before but in 2005, IIRC, I called it on Domanick Davis. He looked really good in preseason for the Texans and I picked him and he had a good year. May have been 04, and I will be the first to admit I get more of these wrong, than right, but its always fun to be able to say "I called it!"
For now, I am going with Kevin Smith over Ray Rice. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
last minute injuries or injured players that were dressed for the game and then didn't play a snap killed me this week, but I did pick up Cassel to dangle in front of Bradys owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks