What's new

Next upgrade: SVS or matching surrounds?? (1 Viewer)

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
I have a question on what should be my next upgrade? A svs to replace my sony sawm40, or matching surrounds for my Klipsch Rf-3's, Rc-3..?? What do you think will be more important? Also if it is SVS would a 100watt SOny shelf sytem be ok to power it?? And could I just hook it into the vcr in??
I am leaning toward the SVS but I was wondering your opinions on what is better upgrade. The RS-3's are around the same price as the SVS 25-31cs. Thank you for your input(in advance)
-B
p.s. I already have surrounds just not matching ones and this is all run by a denon 3801. Thanks again!!

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
Instead of skimping and using a cheap Sony thing to power a SVS cs sub, you should get the pc version. That will give you a 190w rms amp built right in.....a whole lot better then some shelf system.
The RS-3's are great speakers, and will definitely make a big improvement to you system. You can get them on eBay for around $350....and that is from a dealer.
It is a tough choice.......great bass or great surround. I would do both, sell the sub you have now and the surround speakers you have.....and put that money towards the SVS 25-31PC and a pair of Klipsch RS-3.
------------------
Home Theater Page

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
In my opinion...go SVS. I just upgraded to the 20-39pc from a Velodyne CT-150 and I can't believe the difference. My neighbor is now going to buy a SVS next week becaused he was so impressed!
That is my .02
Dave

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Brian,
if the sony is 100w into 8ohm(?)...then you'd likely see a good 125-150w into a 4ohm load.(the SVs are all 4ohm).
There's definitely some merit to the suggestions in using more amp power....but even if you only had 125w with the Sony....that would be about 1dB less than a 20-39PC would hit :)
If the sony receiver is just collecting dust...I would give it some consideration....as it would enable you to jump into the svs pond in a very cost effective manner(CS instead of a PC).
TV

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
Tom,
Actually it is a sony bookshelf system. (i.e. it has a five disc changer built in, a tape deck and tuner but it is 100 watts per x2) I am just looking for something that would be a major upgrade from the surrounds or sub I have now and then can always buy a more expensive amp later on. Anymore sugestions would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to purchase one or the other this week!!(keep in mind I might be able to get both by the end of the year(x-mas money) but I am looking for which I should get right now!! Thanks again!!
-B

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
One easy trick to test the timbre matching of the surrounds is to listen to the pink noise during the speaker setup menu(as it pans around the room). IDeally...there'd be no shift in the tone/sound of the noise as it moves from speaker to speaker. If there's a distinct shift from your front soundstage to the surrounds...it's likely you'll benefit from adding new rears that match the rest of the speakers better. I don't think this would be a *wow* type of improvement...but the more you sat and listened...the more you'll appreciate the more seamless effects(imo)
TV

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
The panning is pretty good right now it's just I want eventually to have all mathing speakers. So I guess I will go with the svs right now. I just wish I knew if my power supply is good enough. I would hate to have to drop another 300 on an amp if that is the case I will just go with the surrounds for now
-B

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
Ok this question is for TOM,
How good of sound did that KLH reciever give off for the svs?? I can get it from best buy for like 30$ becasue I have a store credit. Would that be worth getting or wait for more money and a beter amp??
Let me know asap if possible.. Thanks....
-B

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Asap?...what do you think SVS does...answer techsupport 7 days a week! :)( just don't bother me while I watch the Browns eat some crow in a couple hours,)
I couldn't guess if the KLH would be any improvement over the sony shelf system...because I don't have any experience with the sony(and I don't know of any actual amp measurements done in it?).
I ran the KLH receiver with a pair of 25-31s for a weekend. I have notes on one DVD. LIS(lost in space). Set to reference level..compared to the 600w Fidek amp we sold way back when...
I measured 114-116 output peaks with the Fidek and 111-113dB output peaks with the KLH.(this was about 8-10ft from the subs if memory serves).
So I was losing about 3dB maximum output capability by going from the 300w per channel Fidek to the $79 KLH receiver. Another way to think of it is...if you used dual SVs with the KLH eventually, you'd have about 3dB more output than a single SV/S700.
TV

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Definitely go for the SVS!! Think about it this way. Your surrounds are active maybe 10% of the time during a movie, maybe a little more if it's an aggressively mixed action flick. Your sub on the other hand, is active *all the time* in both movies and music. It's clear what will give you the most enjoyment right now.
I would guess that the Sony shelf system is underpowered for the SVS. Usually shelf systems "cheat" on their power ratings more than receivers do. But, doesn't hurt to try it out. If it doesn't float your boat, grab that KLH receiver for $30, can't beat that.
If you're dying for surrounds and can't afford the matching Klipsch yet, just grab whatever you can for like $50, such as the Home Theater Direct Level I mains. Later on you can get matching Klipsch surrounds. I guarantee you the difference between the Sony sub vs. SVS is WAY larger than the difference between HTD surrounds vs. Klipsch RS-3's.

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
To Richard and to all Thank you for your input! I have decided to go with the svs over the surrounds(whichc I will probably have anyway by the end of the year). I just have to figure out either the KLH or a sub plate amp. If it is the sub plate do any of you ahve any suggestions on waht to do with it? can I just put it on the floor or how do I amke a box for it? Anyway thanks again and GO YANKS!!!
-B

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Brian,
I've done both, making boxes for plate amps, and using cheaper receivers as sub power (some of my friends have NO money it seems ;^)
Hands down the easiest and most flexible solution (in that you can run twin subs if you want) is the KLH receiver. The plate amps out there run the gammut from good, to crap, and some have built in bass boost that you do NOT want. This all presumes you have a Dolby Digital receiver and don't need any crossover functions of a typical plate amp of course.
For $30 on the receiver, it's a no-brainer. Get the receiver and order a CS sub. You'll only wonder when you can spring for a second sub you'll love the first so much.
That's a promise.
Ron

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
I did not get it yet I am putting in the order today or tomorrow. I am getting the 25-31cs. Probably tuned down to 22 though. I can't wait!!
-B

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I say get the SVS. Youll end up loving it more. I myself am obsessed with timbre matching all around.
I have matching speakers in every corner, including the center. I say, you can live with not even surround field til you get money at xmas. A new SVS WILL ROCK YOUR WORLD!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks